Round 3 Pick 76: Steelers select Mason Rudolph

Armsteeld2

Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph 6’5 235 4.9

Rudolph wanted to be here.  The Steelers wanted him.  Here he is the newest member of the Pittsburgh Steelers former Oklahoma State Quarterback Mason Rudolph.

What does this selection mean for the future of our 2018 QB room?  ? 

I actually personally really like this pick.  First of all it cost us next to nothing to move up to get him.  Secondly if you watch the throws he makes, they are similar to that of Ben in terms of what we do with our offense. He's gonna miss some throws, one of the biggest factors in that is that at times, he rushes some of his throws.  Behind a better oline which he will have in Pittsburgh he, imo, has a good pocket presence, he isn't super athletic but he is smart enough to know when to run, he's got good vision and very good long ball arm strength.  He isn't the most accurate of the available Quarterbacks but again, I think his biggest issue is timing with his receivers and again rushing his throws because he just doesn't have the time in the pocket.

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I actually personally really like this pick.  First of all it cost us next to nothing to move up to get him.  Secondly if you watch the throws he makes, they are similar to that of Ben in terms of what we do with our offense. He's gonna miss some throws, one of the biggest factors in that is that at times, he rushes some of his throws.  Behind a better oline which he will have in Pittsburgh he, imo, has a good pocket presence, he isn't super athletic but he is smart enough to know when to run, he's got good vision and very good long ball arm strength.  He isn't the most accurate of the available Quarterbacks but again, I think his biggest issue is timing with his receivers and again rushing his throws because he just doesn't have the time in the pocket.

Agreed.  I didn’t know he was considered a first rounder and to grab him in the 3rd is low risk.  Here a quick recap by Bruce Gradkowski.

I will admit the fact that Rudolph was actually expected to go in the first round, eases the pain of the "reach" a bit when it comes to Edmunds.  If you swap the two hypothetically, the draft doesn't look as bad value wise.  But the value of a guy that was being speculated as a possible pick in the first round by the Patriots is excellent in the 3rd round.

My top 5 QB rankings before the draft were...

1. Rosen

2. Darnold
3. Mayfield
4. Jackson
5. Rudolph

6. Allen

Rosen was by far my favorite.    The 4 in the middle I like, but I worry about all of them....and yes, I would take Rudolph over Josh Allen.

If the other 3 picks in the first 3 rounds werent complete turds, Id probably love this pick.     Given how it all unfolded, Im just meh on it.     

What wasn’t known at the time was how Marvin Lewis and company were prepared to select Rudolph to back up Andy Dalton, especially after losing AJ McCarron to free agency.

Lewis joked in a press conference suggesting the Steelers must have had their draft room “bugged” as they were preparing to take Rudolph.

Marvin Lewis jokes the Steelers “had the room” bugged and were discussing drafting QB Mason Rudolph before the Pittsburgh jumped ahead of them. Payback for the Bengals stealing William Jackson III a couple years ago.

— Paxton Boyd (@paxton) April 28, 2018

At least they got back at them in a small way for WJIII

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

WJIII looked amazing vs the Steelers last year.  Really really good.

Watching him shutdown AB was a thing of beauty. He’d stack AB and kept knocking the balls down or keeping AB from getting to it.  WJIII has superstar abilities.

Archived