Round 3 Pick 76: Steelers select Mason Rudolph

Armsteeld2

6 hours ago, Big Snack said:

i think dobbs is on the practice squad this year and next year landry is gone and dobbs takes over the qb3 spot

While I agree this is what will happen, if Dobbs showed notable improvement, Id keep him and cut Jones.    Jones is what he is at this point.     Dobbs at least could develop into something...even if only a slightly better backup than Jones.

So, I wanted to get a good sense of what kind of player Rudolph could be. I think I have found the best comparison: Elvis Grbac.

Watching his highlights at Michigan, I see a lot of similarities in throwing motion, footwork, size, and mechanics. 

His favorite target was Desmond Howard.

His best season came in 1998 with the Chiefs, his favorite target was Andre Rison.

Point being; I'm not expecting big things from Rudolph, I can see a pro bowler but that's it. I think it's justifiable to be keen on our expectation of Rudolph. 

I think Rudolph was drafted for his intelligence, cerebral, and pre-snap skillsets, not what he can do post-snap. He'll take years before he can master the post-snap aspects (something he's good at but could be better). His floor is the career back-up and ceiling is Grbac. Either way around, I think I'm more comfortable with having Rudolph than I do with Landry Jones as we have been fortunate with Big Ben staying healthy for a long time, but how long can he last? Rudolph definitely can be a reliable and good game manager RIGHT NOW. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

It shouldn't bother you at all unless you're worried about losing a career backup with a Win/Loss record below .500. 

When I hear that my argument is then why draft him if you don't see more. Camp arm, etc,? There are enough free agents and un-drafted QB's to sign that can fill that void. 

My biggest problem with the past few drafts have been draft value and wasted picks. Dobbs seemed to improve every game that he played in.  If he has decent back-up ability, then that is all we need for the next few years.  No doubt, that I trust the professionals more than I do my thought process and limited resources to see what is going on, but that is a bit of a head scratcher to me.  Dobbs will take two to three years to develop, just as we expect Mason Rudolph to do as well. I understand Mason probably has a higher ceiling.  If we are in win now mode, many of our decisions don't seem to reflect that.  I get that you don't want t mortgage the house for the year as well, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere. Mason will sit a minimum of three years.  Dobbs would do the same.

They passed on Sam Hubbard, Malik Jefferson, Harrison Phillips, Oren Brooks  and Ronnie Harrison.  I get that none of those guys puts you into the Super Bowl, but I think that they all would contribute in 2018 in situations or special teams, etc. Maybe you have more insight to add. I just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

When I hear that my argument is then why draft him if you don't see more. Camp arm, etc,? There are enough free agents and un-drafted QB's to sign that can fill that void. 

My biggest problem with the past few drafts have been draft value and wasted picks. Dobbs seemed to improve every game that he played in.  If he has decent back-up ability, then that is all we need for the next few years.  No doubt, that I trust the professionals more than I do my thought process and limited resources to see what is going on, but that is a bit of a head scratcher to me.  Dobbs will take two to three years to develop, just as we expect Mason Rudolph to do as well. I understand Mason probably has a higher ceiling.  If we are in win now mode, many of our decisions don't seem to reflect that.  I get that you don't want t mortgage the house for the year as well, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere. Mason will sit a minimum of three years.  Dobbs would do the same.

They passed on Sam Hubbard, Malik Jefferson, Harrison Phillips, Oren Brooks  and Ronnie Harrison.  I get that none of those guys puts you into the Super Bowl, but I think that they all would contribute in 2018 in situations or special teams, etc. Maybe you have more insight to add. I just don't get it.

I can't explain the FO's thought process on passing up more immediate impactful players but I can tell you that Dobbs is and always will be terrible. I didn't see anything in College or the Pros that would change my mind. 

On 5/8/2018 at 3:15 PM, Alex said:

So, I wanted to get a good sense of what kind of player Rudolph could be. I think I have found the best comparison: Elvis Grbac.

Watching his highlights at Michigan, I see a lot of similarities in throwing motion, footwork, size, and mechanics. 

His favorite target was Desmond Howard.

His best season came in 1998 with the Chiefs, his favorite target was Andre Rison.

Point being; I'm not expecting big things from Rudolph, I can see a pro bowler but that's it. I think it's justifiable to be keen on our expectation of Rudolph. 

I think Rudolph was drafted for his intelligence, cerebral, and pre-snap skillsets, not what he can do post-snap. He'll take years before he can master the post-snap aspects (something he's good at but could be better). His floor is the career back-up and ceiling is Grbac. Either way around, I think I'm more comfortable with having Rudolph than I do with Landry Jones as we have been fortunate with Big Ben staying healthy for a long time, but how long can he last? Rudolph definitely can be a reliable and good game manager RIGHT NOW. 

If you see Rusolph as Elvis Grbac Part Two, how do you see Josh Dobbs? (Maybe Aaron Brooks Part Two)?

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I can't explain the FO's thought process on passing up more immediate impactful players but I can tell you that Dobbs is and always will be terrible. I didn't see anything in College or the Pros that would change my mind. 

He seems like he is more athlete and brain than an ideal QB, but those seem like good qualities to have as a QB.  Accuracy and average arm strength were the knocks on him if I recall. I thought that he may be able to develop into a decent back-up, but never saw him as a franchise type QB.  Truthfully I don't see that from Bake Mayfield either.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:01 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

If you see Rusolph as Elvis Grbac Part Two, how do you see Josh Dobbs? (Maybe Aaron Brooks Part Two)?

Aaron Brooks was a really good runner. As much I like the potentials Dobbs have, there are more flaws than there are tools to work with. Tarvis Jackson came to the mind; he was never going to be a starter. He may wow you with few plays and left you disappointed with his overall game.

In that perception, Landry Jones reminded me of Volek, Philip Rivers' former backup. They loved Volek because it was like having two starters working with the players (not talent-wise but to run over the playbook and get players up running). 

Honestly I'm fine with a quarterback who could be a pro bowler because it means he can take the team deep in the playoff. Our Super Bowl chances were always within the players we already have, it wasn't going to be somebody else. This team reminded me of late 2000's Chargers actually. Loaded on the offensive side, many questions on the defensive side.

First things first: I am in NO way an OSU fan, so my opinion of Rudolph is absolutely in no way blinded by any bias.

Mason is an outstanding quarterback, and I predicted the Steelers would draft him over a year ago. I've seen every one of his games and can tell you that he is not a "game manager" on any level of competition. He is a gamer. He lifted a team of 3 star players and made them contenders. He had a better college career than any other qb in his class, outside of Baker Mayfield. He has the ideal body frame and high IQ to succeed in the NFL. If he played anywhere outside of the Big 12, he would have been a high first round pick. His arm strength is above NFL average, but not NFL elite. His biggest assets are his leadership skills and his deep ball accuracy (best in all of college football). He is excellent at scanning the field and spreading his throws among multiple receivers. The offense that he led did allow a quarterback with vision to find open receivers, so the tighter windows of the NFL will be a test for him. His offensive line was terrible!! The line coach left early in his career to coach at Texas. His offensive coordinator was a novice that literally learned on the job.

The Steelers passed up on drafting Marino, because Bradshaw claimed he was healthy and would play four more years. Well, that was a lie and the blond bomber left and closed the Super Bowl door behind him. Dobbs isn't close to the answer. He's an athlete that NEVER elevated his team. I'm NOT calling Mason the next Marino, but he has all the tools and IF Ben plays two more years, then our Super Bowl door won't close behind him.

Predictions:

Dobbs : goes to the practice squad and gets signed away by someone else and is out of the league in 1-2 years

Jones : stays as the #2 or #3, mentors Mason, and maybe even stays to be his backup for his first couple of years aka stability

Mason : wins the #2 job this year (at some point) will see some regular season game time thru injury or garbage time.

Ben : plays 2 more years and retires while still relatively healthy   

• 1 month later...

Archived