Round 3 Pick 92 Western Michigan OT Chukwuma Okorafor

Armsteeld2

With pick #92 of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Steelers select Western Michigan OT Chukwuma Okorafor 6’6 320.  We knew the Steelers would select an OT in this draft.  They tend to draft OTs and sign many UDFA Guards.  

Okorafor has great size but doesn’t play up to his size.  A player like this is what I call “soft”.  Not overly aggressive, can be beat by speed, doesn’t use his length well, doesn’t use much power in pass or run blocking and will get quicksand feet in pass protection.  He does have good athleticism and good movement skills.  Technique is solid but he needs to play with more urgency.

Vs TJ Watt

35 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If he has athleticism, just hand him to Munch to make into a great Olineman

True but I like a lil mean streak in my OL.  This move means either the guy we took from LSU will kick inside or that he’ll get his papers.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

This pick is a boom or bust.  Munchak has his work cut out for him.  I don't like it as a 3rd round pick AT ALL.  Definitely reached on this guy.

He went about where he was "supposed" to go. But he didn't need to go to us. It was a "reach" in terms of what we needed. 

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

He went about where he was "supposed" to go. But he didn't need to go to us. It was a "reach" in terms of what we needed. 

Allow me to pose a theory.

Wide Receiver, James Washington,  Oklahoma State

QB, Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State  - QB of the future?

OT, Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan - Good Talent but needs coached up on proper technique, which is where Munchak will come in

These three picks scream "future" to me.  They suggest that this draft is more about building for a time when Ben Roethlisberger, Marcus Gilbert, and possible a few others are no longer on the team.  They have put together a QB/WR duo that is already familiar with each other, possibly to make the transition easier.  An OT that would likely be the RT, that needs coached up but otherwise has the ability to be a great addition to the roster.  

If this theory is correct, do not be shocked if in Round 5 we go RB or TE.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Allow me to pose a theory.

Wide Receiver, James Washington,  Oklahoma State

QB, Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State  - QB of the future?

OT, Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan - Good Talent but needs coached up on proper technique, which is where Munchak will come in

These three picks scream "future" to me.  They suggest that this draft is more about building for a time when Ben Roethlisberger, Marcus Gilbert, and possible a few others are no longer on the team.

If this theory is correct, do not be shocked if in Round 5 we go RB or TE.

Rudolph and Chu are definitely picks for the future. I do think Edmunds and JW can contribute early but I think there were other picks that could have contributed more (specifically Defensively). That is what bugs me the most. It's like there saying, "Alright Ben, do what you do for a couple more years and have a nice life". Instead of throwing everything into the pot and do whatever it takes to squeeze in another Lombardi or 2 before this window closes. Even if that means they suck for another 10 years. I'll take solace in the bling of 7 trophies. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Rudolph and Chu are definitely picks for the future. I do think Edmunds and JW can contribute early but I think there were other picks that could have contributed more (specifically Defensively). That is what bugs me the most. It's like there saying, "Alright Ben, do what you do for a couple more years and have a nice life". Instead of throwing everything into the pot and do whatever it takes to squeeze in another Lombardi or 2 before this window closes. Even if that means they suck for another 10 years. I'll take solace in the bling of 7 trophies. 

Right now, I don't feel like our defense is capable of getting to the SB.  

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Right now, I don't feel like our defense is capable of getting to the SB.  

Exactly. That's my point. So instead of an Offensive heavy draft get Defensive. Instead of picking a player to early, pick up Landry. Then get take JW if you want. Then comeback with any 2 of Jefferson/Harrison/Moore/Key/Gaulden/Hubbard. Whomever. But instead we're setting up for the future.

If they are able to get a decent ILB (Avery/Iyi and a Pass Rusher (Herc) I will settle down a little.  

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Exactly. That's my point. So instead of an Offensive heavy draft get Defensive. Instead of picking a player to early, pick up Landry. Then get take JW if you want. Then comeback with any 2 of Jefferson/Harrison/Moore/Key/Gaulden/Hubbard. Whomever. But instead we're setting up for the future. 

Agreed.  I expected an almost exclusively defensive draft.  I expect us to go Offense in Round 5.  I almost believe this team is being set up for a "MUST" ILB pick in the 2019 draft.  But more so, if our defensive additions don't hold up against our schedule, we could be picking in the Top 15.

this pick and the whole draft are overtly transparent.  BigBen is retiring at the end of the year, ring or not.

the coaches realized that there is NO WAY they can actually replace Shazier and get the D to a SB caliber level with rookies, so they are trying to

1) hope the O can win the SB on its own in Ben's last year. (hahahaha)

2) make the rebuild as seamless as possible with a paired QB/WR duo (ok)

3) start building a line capable of protecting a pocket statue  (ok)

4) realize they'll have $20M in cap space to sign 2 or 3 really good FA defenders in 2019.  (scheme change too, finally?)

On 4/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, steelcurtain29 said:

I read this dude didn't even watch the game until the Super Bowl we lost to Green Bay...

Rather concerning.

He just moved to the U.S. from Botswana late 2010, not sure there was much football coverage in Botswana so doesn't concern me at all. Just the opposite for me, if the guy is where he is talent wise and didn't know what football was until 2011 where can he be after a year or so with Munch? I cant imagine his college coaches had anywhere near the teaching skills or resume as Munch.  I'm still not sure I would have taken him there with our needs, but I'm not going to write him off for not seeing a game before. 

Archived