Titans have traded for Ryan Tannehill

49erurtaza

On 15/03/2019 at 1:50 PM, ET80 said:

So is there a QB controversy in Tennessee? I personally think Tannehill is better than Mariota, but not by much. Does Vrabel go with a guy he brought in vs a guy he inherited?

I don't think there's a QB controversy right now...but it'll be interesting to see if one develops this year.  If Mariota misses some time for his customary injury and Tannehill steps in and looks better, i think you might have a situation.  I do think it's at least a very close call which of the two is better right now.  Maybe slight edge to Tannehill, but he's obviously a fair bit older...so even if it does kick up a controversy, i can't imagine they'd be looking at him as a long-term answer.  So even a Tannehill > Mariota controversy would probably answer their real question...by indicating Mariota is not the answer for them moving forward.

On 15/03/2019 at 12:46 PM, SBLIII said:

I would be hesitant giving Mariota a big deal. Are the Titans a darkhorse contender for a 1st round QB?

I'd say this deal indicates pretty much the opposite.  Looks like they're all in on finding out if Mariota is the guy or not, and brought in a capable guy to ride out the season/Mariota injuries in the event that he's not.

I think they're a very serious contender for a 2020 1st round QB though.  Where Tannehill would end up being the "stopgap guy" for them.  Let's them either give Mariota the big contract if he's the guy...or cut him loose if he's not, and avoid just giving him a big contract to play stopgap or whatever.

Archived