Y2's Final Preseason Roster Power Rankings - Includes 53-Man Prediction

y2lamanaki

Here's my final look at the 90-man squad ahead of tonight's final preseason game. Usually this game doesn't have much of an effect on the final squad other than for a bubble player or two. So, with that said - my final 53-man prediction is the first 53. After that, they're ranked in order from most likely to least likely to make the 53. Check out last week's here: 

1) DeForrest Buckner, DT – (#1, #1, #1, #1)

Buckner remains #1 throughout the preseason and enters the season as our best player now and in the immediate future, IMO.

2) Reuben Foster, LB – (#3, #2, #2, #2)

He’s sure going to be fun to watch this season. It’s an easier transition to LB than DE, so it shouldn’t surprise and/or worry people that he was our best looking rookie in the preseason.  

3) NaVorro Bowman, LB – (#7, #4, #4, #3)

Looks to be as great as he was in the past once again entering the year. Hopefully his setbacks are behind him and he and Foster can dominate for the next few years.

4) Joe Staley, LT – (#4, #3, #3, #4)

Had an injury early in preseason game #3, so was kept out as a precaution. That’s probably a good thing. If Staley goes down, our offensive line is going to look 2005 bad…and it’s been close to that WITH Staley.

5) Pierre Garcon, WR – (#6, #6, #7, #6)

Bumping Garcon up a spot after a standout game in the season warm-up. 6 receptions, 60+ yards is a good sign for what we should see this season.

6) Solomon Thomas, DT – (#2, #7, #5, #5)

Moves down a slot, only because Garcon stood out in a big way last week. Thomas might not be a “starter” (unless we start in a nickel set), but he’ll have a huge role year one and had a fine preseason.  

7) Marquise Goodwin, WR – (#15, #8, #8, #7)

Wanted to bump Goodwin up even higher, but don’t want to look like I’m losing a ton of confidence in Thomas. Goodwin is going to be something to watch this year, and his big touchdown last week was only a hint.  

8) Brian Hoyer, QB – (#5, #5, #6, #8)

Finally got the offense moving in the final preseason game. Had just an incredible game overall and showed why Shanahan had faith in him to run the offense in at least 2017.

9) Eric Reid, SS – (#11, #16, #13, #10)

Reid had another good showing last week and just looks like the perfect fit for the Chancellor safety role. I seriously believe he’ll be our best DB this season and a return to the Pro Bowl is not out of the question..

10) Kyle Juszczyk, FB – (#9, #10, #10, #9)

Moves back down a spot to allow an improving Eric Reid to continue to climb. Had one nice reception last week and figures to play a pretty large role in the offense, especially with Vance McDonald gone.

11) K’Waun Williams, CB – (#32, #15, #12, #12)

I do not remember a single time this preseason where I said “I want to see someone other than K’Waun Williams” covering the slot receiver.

12) Arik Armstead, DL – (#13, #11, #11, #13)

Finally got on the board with his first sack of the preseason and looked good for the first time this preseason. Had a great camp, but needs to show up more on game days during the season.

13) Carlos Hyde, RB – (#19, #9, #9, #11)

Might not be entirely his fault, but Hyde still only averaged 2.6 yards per carry this preseason, and that is an area in which he has struggled in the past. Offensive line might be more to blame, but this is a bad omen entering his contract year, IMO.

14) Earl Mitchell, NT – (#16, #12, #14, #14)

Don’t remember much of him from last week to be honest. Our run defense was good, and that means he likely had a contribution in that regard.

15) George Kittle, TE – (#10, #18, #17, #15)

Guess who just won a starting job at tight end? Maybe not Kittle. Don’t be surprised if Juszczyk is starting there with Kittle rotating in. McDonald/Paulsen/Hyde were often the three non QB/WR skill position players starting, and I think Juszczyk is the most likely contender to take McDonald’s spot.

16) Elvis Dumervil, DL/LB – (#14, #13, #15, #16)

Dumervil finally got to the QB in the regular season tuneup game. A wonderful time to do it! Still, he’s looked rough rushing the passer and I do not really have high hopes entering the season.

17) Jimmie Ward, FS – (#12, #19, #18, #17)

If anyone behind him wants to leap ahead of him in these rankings, it’s been pretty open for them to do so. Unfortunately, this is where we get to the non-Staley linemen part of the rankings, so it hasn’t happened.   

18) Laken Tomlinson, G – (NR, NR, NR, NR)

The newest 49er slots in behind another player who did not play this preseason as he is now our second best offensive lineman. At least at run blocking…

19) Daniel Kilgore, C/G – (#26, #17, #16, #19)

Offensive line is certainly struggling in the run game, but Hoyer was kept mostly clean in pass protection. Kilgore seems the safest bet to be an interior starter as long as he isn’t injured in 2017.

20) Robbie Gould, K – (#22, #22, #21, #20)

3-3 in extra points. Gould will likely have a busy year, even if he didn’t have a busy preseason.

21) Dontae Johnson, CB – (#33, #24, #22, #21)

Dontae Johnson was nobody’s pick entering camp to win the #2 CB job, but he’s been the only cornerback in the competition who has not openly struggled (and for that matter, the only outside cornerback who has not openly struggled).

22) Rashard Robinson, CB – (#8, #14, #20, #22)

Did not go back and rewatch the game, but I do not remember being upset with Robinson this week. That’s not the best praise he should receive as we enter the season with him as the #1 corner.

23) Trent Brown, RT – (#20, #20, #24, #23)

He did have a nice pancake block in run blocking this week, which was a good enough sign for him. His pass blocking is still excellent.  

24) Matt Breida, RB – (#56, #33, #27, #27)

Breida was the best looking HB we had against players that will be playing in the NFL this year (Mostert, otherwise, was tops). No question he makes the roster. How much will he play in 2017 is the question.

25) Bradley Pinion, P – (#28, #28, #30, #30)

Said it last week, but Pinion has quietly had a strong preseason. Which is sorta what you want from a punter – to quietly do his job very well.

26) Trent Taylor, WR – (#35, #31, #31, #37)

Why the big bump for Taylor? You’re reading about this year’s starting slot receiver. You read that here first (maybe?). Kerley was held without any receptions this year, and Taylor can handle all of his roles including punt returning. I have a sneaking suspicion Kerley might be the next player traded out of SF.

27) Eli Harold, LB – (#39, #47, #55, #24)

Had a relatively quiet game, and Dekoda Watson started at SAM in preseason game 3. Harold’s play was supposed to be the reason Brooks was cut, but I have questions about his role this year…

28) Brandon Fusco, G – (#25, #23, #25, #25)

Fusco is one of the main reasons Hyde could not get going this preseason. With the Laken Tomlinson trade, Fusco now becomes the most vulnerable lineman in terms of losing the starting job.

29) Joshua Garnett, G – (#30, #30, #26, #26)

It would have been easier with Beadles in the starting lineup, but Garnett will still likely compete to be a starter once he’s healed.

30) Tank Carradine, DL – (#47, #26, #35, #34)

He’s still technically the starter at RDE, but it’s clear Thomas has already eaten into his playing time. Looked good against the Vikings, and actually looked strong rushing the passer as well.

31) Joe Williams, RB – (#24, #36, #28, #28)

Williams had a good start to the preseason, but in preseason game 4 he looked more like Hyde did while struggling to find running room. Breida appears to already be the more impressive rookie running back.

32) Jaquiski Tartt, S – (#29, #29, #37, #35)

Tartt was good, especially in run support, as he got to start in place of Ward. Tartt will have a major role on the team in 2017 one way or another, as he’s a major contributor on Special Teams.

33) Dekoda Watson, LB – (#40, #48, #50, #48)

Watson gets the “Huh? Did I see that right?” award for starting over Harold last game. Not sure what this means or if it’ll continue to happen, but with Brooks gone, his spot is not at all in question.

34) Aldrick Robinson, WR – (#46, #32, #32, #31)

Robinson didn’t fall because of poor play, so nothing to worry about here. He looked explosive this preseason and is a good backup for Goodwin.

35) Aaron Lynch, LB – (#42, #38, #34, #33)

Lynch was mostly unheard of last week and might get a chance to play much of the game tonight. After the Chiefs game, it seemed like he was in line for some major playing time. Now, he disappeared. This is Aaron Lynch.

36) Kyle Nelson, LS – (#41, #41, #39, #38)

Nobody else attempted a long snap this preseason, and Nelson is really good at what he does.

37) CJ Beathard, QB – (#53, #45, #45, #44)

He’s going to be in for a jarring drop again before Week 1, but for now Beathard gets a bump up the rankings because he almost certainly won the #2 QB job, which means he’s the guy I feel most confident will make the roster of the rest of the players here.

38) Ray-Ray Armstrong, LB – (#50, #39, #40, #39)

I don’t remember his game last week, but I remember he’s been pretty good throughout the preseason and is a strong backup LB/starting special teams player.

39) Lorenzo Jerome, DB – (#58, #37, #36, #40)

Jerome gets another slight boost up these rankings, not based on improved special teams play over his 6 snaps on those teams last game, but because I’m certain he’s not really in danger of missing the roster.

40) Ahkello Witherspoon, CB (#18, NR, #41, #42)

Witherspoon will make the team without question, but there are considerable questions regarding whether or not he will have much playing time in 2017.  At first, that answer appears to be ‘no,’ but I bet that tune will change come a few weeks into the season.

41) Logan Paulsen, TE – (#37, #47, #47, #47)

The TE with the most to worry about with McDonald on the team is now a safe bet to make the roster as the main blocking tight end.

42) Brock Coyle, LB – (#63, #49, #51, #52)

Coyle’s big bump up these rankings comes because I’m certain he’s making the team based on the sheer number of Special Teams snaps he has gotten and that he is the first in for Bowman/Foster at MLB with the backups.

43) Chris Jones, DL – (#48, #40, #38, #36, #36)

These last 11 spots are where I think things will get pretty tricky, and any number of the 11 could make it, or feasibly none could make it. Jones has consistently been the first player in for Buckner, which to me means it is pretty obvious he is the main backup at that defensive line spot. For that reason, I give him the highest of the ‘uncertain’ 11 spots.

44) Vinnie Sunseri, S – (#54, #54, #54, #53)

You’ll note that I’ve maintained he’s had a great chance to win a roster spot all camp, and at this point I feel as confident of that as ever given his special roles on those special teams units. I’m still not 100% confident, but I’m as confident as ever.

45) DJ Jones, DL – (#49, #34, #43, #41)

Because I think Quinton Dial has been a player earmarked for the door, DJ Jones makes the roster as the main (only) backup to Earl Mitchell. However, I thought Dial would have been traded by now. He has not been. He also played a ton of snaps in the preseason week 3 game, so I’m starting to question what is happening. The team could keep both, but it seems unlikely, or at least unnecessary. Jones would have the edge having been picked by the current regime, and he’s looked strong when getting the chance to play.

46) Asa Jackson, CB – (Unranked, #66, #73, #74)

I expected Jackson to have next to no shot at winning a roster spot, but then he was the first cornerback that came into the game, before Reaser and Witherspoon, to relieve our starters. That’s a great sign for him, and a very bad one for Reaser. Jackson was brought in because we were not happy with Witherspoon/Reaser as the main backup outside. So with him getting in so early…I’m thinking he’s a surprise entrant to this year’s team.

47) Raheem Mostert, RB – (#78, #78, #59, #58)

I thought it was always interesting that he’s been opening every game as the starting kick returner, and that he’s been on the special teams coverage units with the 1s for each of the first 3 preseason games. With last week’s big reception featuring run after catch and a solid preseason running the ball (albeit against backups), I think Mostert has to be considered a favorite now to win a spot on the roster, and possibly have a sizable role.

48) Zane Beadles, OL – (#51, #25, #23, #18)

Quite the drop for Beadles, huh? Well, while I maintained he was the best run blocker for the first two weeks, he’s been just as generally poor as ever. And Laken Tomlinson coming in and slated to take his spot right away is an indictment of his play. With that in mind, Fusco or Garnett will likely be the active backup interior lineman once Garnett is healthy, so here becomes my dilemma for Beadles…with Magnuson looking good at both C/G, and Beadles likely to be inactive on game days, why keep him around? I think we will for the first game, or first couple until Garnett is healthy. After that, I think he might be shown the door. However, it would also not surprise me to just not worry about Magnuson and all and keep him in this slot.

49) Aaron Burbridge, WR – (#57, #53, #49, #51)

Despite tied for his highest ranking yet, I’m as unsure of Burbridge as ever given that he was unable to play in the last two games due to injury. Before the injury, he was almost a Special Teams lock given his being named captain. Smelter appears to have held down his gunner role while he’s been inactive, and Smelter does not seem likely to have much of a chance here. So with that said, Burbridge still seems like he’ll make the roster. However, you’ll note I have Jeremy Kerley missing, and a more promising rookie WR coming up making the roster. It would not surprise anyone to see Burbridge cut, but I still think he makes the team.

50) Pita Taumoepenu, LB – (#43, #55, #60, #55)

I found a spot for Pita on the roster for the first time since the opening of camp. The Steelers/Ravens were rumored to be interested in him during the draft, so I imagine they might be willing to take a look if he ends up getting cut. So, let’s be safe and let him develop as a gameday inactive. I would also not be surprised to see him play today and end up on IR with shin splints.

51) John Theus, T – (#73, #74, #79, #80)

This one comes with a groan. I don’t think Theus has played well, and I certainly do not see him earning this spot via his play. However, when Staley went down in the regular season tune-up, it was Theus who came in over Gilliam. Granted, Gilliam hasn’t been world-beating either, so it’s not a big loss. However, it seems plenty telling. Only one of the two will likely make it, so that one person would have to take over for either tackle should they get injured. Theus did, so Theus makes the squad. I don’t feel completely comfortable with this prediction, but it’s my prediction nonetheless.

52) Leger Douzable, DE – (NR, NR, #86, #59)

This could very well be a case of either he or Chris Jones making the roster, but for now I cleared a spot for both. Chris Jones was still the main backup last week, but Douzable was undoubtedly brought in for a reason. And he’s seen an incredible amount of playing time. Similar to Asa Jackson, he makes the roster (although, he has looked much better than Jackson).  

53) Victor Bolden, Jr., WR – (#70, #62, #66, #60)

The absolute least comfortable I feel about anyone on the 53-man squad, and probably a surprise since you’re likely thinking “Uh…y2…3rd TE?” Here’s my response to that – last year we kept 3 TEs and no FB. This year, we have a FB (Juszczyk) who also plays TE. So in reality, it’s not all that different than last year, plus I’m keeping an extra receiver so there’s still an extra target on the roster. Very hard for me to put Bolden on the roster, but he came in before Bourne and has the most upside of the undrafted rookies. Plus – he and Mostert have been the kick returners. That’s it. Nobody else has taken one all preseason. Since I do not have Kerley making the roster, this means having a backup kick returner is needed so Bolden makes the roster.

So those are the guys I predict to make the squad without watching tonight’s game. Here are the rest of the power rankings. In the past, I factored in likelihood to stick on the practice squad into their slotting, but for today, I’m slotting only their likelihood to make the roster from this point. I will still note predicted practice squad players.

54) Jeremy Kerley, WR – (#23, #35, #33, #32)

Quite the drop for Kerley, and I feel least confident in leaving him off the roster. But Taylor is going to be the slot receiver at some point, and he can handle punt return duties just fine. Aldrick Robinson has been the more impressive preseason receiver, and has a history with Shanahan. Robinson can play the slot in a pinch…so with that in mind, there’s not much reason to keep Kerley. I think he’ll be a tradable asset for some team, and would not be shocked to see him dealt before the deadline.

55) Erik Magnuson, OL – (#84, #85, #62, #54), Practice Squad Player #1

I want him to make the roster, and there’s still a chance the team goes with 9 OL instead of 6 WRs/heavy on DL/OLBs. Plus, there’s the chance he’s kept now over Beadles. However, given that he was not given the opportunity to come in with the 1s, I just don’t see it happening. I think it was easier when it was just him and Barnes competing for the 8th lineman, but with Tomlinson being added, I don’t think Barnes has a good shot anymore, and Beadles’ experience becomes a bit more important than to go with the inexperienced undrafted player. Still, I obviously think Magnuson has a great chance. He’s a shoe-in for the PS if he goes unclaimed. He also might be one of those mysterious IR players.

56) Garry Gilliam, T – (#34, #43, #42, #43)

Not at all in competition with Magnuson, Gilliam makes the roster if Theus does not. However, Gilliam has not looked particularly strong and since Theus got into the game with the 1s when Staley went down instead of Gilliam, I take that as a sign that Gilliam is not likely to stick around. I think he should make the roster over Theus (and at this point, would prefer Darrell Williams over either), but I just don’t think he will.

57) Garrett Celek, TE – (#71, #80, #70, #73)

Obviously a 3rd TE instead of slotting Juszczyk there is a real possibility, and Celek would seem to be the most likely of the remaining three. It’s just a guess on my part that they would go with 6 WRs/more potential as a KR for Bolden.

58) Tim Hightower, RB – (#44, #27, #29, #29)

The biggest tumble in the rankings goes completely out of a roster spot. There’s once again no need to keep Hightower. He was always kept around, even with Breida breaking out just because of his familiarity with Shanahan’s system, but at 31, we may as well give the younger guys a shot. Plus, he did not see any snaps on offense in the final tuneup game, and those snaps instead appeared to go to Mostert as a way of saying “Hey, we know who you are on Special Teams, go win yourself a roster spot by playing well on offense.” It’s hard to argue with Moster’s results. Still, with the others already listed ahead of him, Hightower is the most likely of those remaining to hold onto that roster spot.

59) Keith Reaser, CB – (#31, #42, #46, #46)

I’ve been hoping to get rid of Reaser for some time, and with Jackson playing ahead of him it seems like that will finally happen. Granted, I’m no fan of Jackson’s and I don’t think he’s played well at all. But neither has Reaser. Reaser was given a golden opportunity to not only win a roster spot, but win a starting job. And he failed…while his competition was injured and could not win it. You don’t lose your job due to injury, but you certainly don’t lose your job due to someone else’s injury. It’s always possible he’s kept as a 6th CB instead of all the DL.  

60) Don Jones, S – (#79, #79, #69, #71)

Jones has been a mainstay on Special Teams units all preseason, and he plays a more vital role than any of the other guys not slated to make the roster from here. Just earlier this week I thought it near ludicrous to keep six safeties on the roster, but as I think about it harder...maybe we do. Ward can play corner, and Jerome has played nickel CB, so they become emergency backups there. If something happens and we lose some players, Jones could be one of the better backup DBs on the roster, and certainly has played better at safety than Reaser has at CB. So…I’m going to give him a realistic shot (but still cause him to miss)

61) Quinton Dial, NT – (#38, #57, #58, #61)

Truthfully, I think Quinton Dial’s chances are as good as ever, despite still ranking among the lowest he has in these rankings.  He’s certainly not being kept off because of poor play. He’s being kept off because of being a poor fit for this scheme. At some point, you have to go with talent, though, and I think Dial has it. Because we have not yet been able to trade him, I think he has a good shot to stick it out.

62) Louis Murphy, WR – (Unranked, #65, #81, #62)

On one hand, I think he was given a real shot to win a roster spot by getting playing time very early in the game. I just don’t think he did anything to earn it. Garcon, Goodwin, Taylor, and Robinson all seem safe, and Kerley seems the most likely between he and Murphy to win a roster spot. That means Murphy has to make it as the 6th WR. With Burbridge’s Special Teams role and Bolden’s youthful upside, there’s no reason to keep Murphy around. He’ll likely still be there on the free agent list if for some reason he’s injured.

63) Matt Barkley, QB – (#36, #44, #44, #49)

Speaking of still being there due to injury, Barkley seems as likely as anyone to be waiting on the free agent list if he’s needed to be called. He did nothing to win the #2 job, and that appears easily won by Beathard. So with that, there’s no reason for Barkley to stick around as a gameday inactive early in the season, so no need to hold onto a roster spot. Still, of those remaining, he seems likeliest to have an outside chance by sheer virtue of the team preferring to keep 3 QBs.

64) Kendrick Bourne, WR – (#88, #63, #57, #57), Practice Squad Player #2

If any young WR is going to make it over Bolden, Bourne is that guy. He’s one of our preseason leaders receiving the ball, but has little Special Teams upside like Bolden does (as the backup KR). He seems a pretty safe bet to make the Practice Squad.

65) Ronald Blair, DL – (#65, #68, #75, #76)

Blair was back to getting the playing time he got in the first preseason game, and he’s appeared to play well when he’s in. There just appears to be too great a logjam in front of him on the DL for him to win a roster spot. Still, I don’t think it’s a lock that he’s kept off the squad. He does have plenty of upside. It just might be in the old defensive scheme.

66) Will Redmond, CB – (#52, #50, #52, #55)

It was always a longshot to stick around as the backup nickel corner, given that Ward and Jerome could fill that role. His injury is what ultimately doomed him to not having much of a chance. I don’t see how he makes the roster, and at this point, these guys do not appear to have realistic chances.

67) Cole Hikutini, TE – (#55, #51, #56, #63), Practice Squad Player #3

Hikutini has done nothing of note this preseason, but it wouldn’t be a complete shock if he was able to leapfrog Celek and if the team kept him on the 53 as a 3rd TE/gameday inactive. He seems like a really safe bet for the practice squad, though.

68) Blake Bell, TE – (#80, #81, #87, #86)

Bell gets a huge boost up these rankings only because of the Vance McDonald trade. I still think he has no legitimate shot at making the roster. However, he has been playing early on Special Teams units, and may have a bit more upside over Celek in that area. His only chance at making the roster is if the team thinks Hikutini is a safe bet on the practice squad, they want to keep 3 TEs, AND they want Bell on starting special teams units. It’s an incredibly small outside chance, but at this point, I have to believe it’s better than anyone else’s shot.

69) Austin Calitro, LB – (NR, #86, #63, #66), Practice Squad Player #4

After a very strong start to the preseason, Calitro ended up cooling off quite a bit. Still, of anyone remaining, he had the most snaps in the last game combined between defense or offense and special teams, so he probably has some minor chance. Still, I think it’s a safer bet he’ll be kept around on the practice squad.

70) Kapri Bibbs, RB – (#61, #69, #82, #82)

Bibbs gets a slight boost back up the rankings as he’s still been a punt protector for Pinion. He also got carries over Hightower in a “show me what you can do” match that seems ultimately won by Mostert. Don’t see how he makes the roster. However, the team did give up draft capital for him, so that gives him slim hope. That’s the only reason I’d see the team going with 5 HBs, and it being Bibbs as the 5th over Hightower or Mostert. Otherwise, he seems decidedly the 6th best HB on the team.

71) Sen’Derrick Marks, DL – (NR, NR, NR, #85)

Marks is here for the same reason guys like Douzable and Jackson moved up and eventually made the roster. There was some reason he was brought in, and he played a lot in the 3rd preseason game. I cannot possibly imagine a scenario where he makes it over those ahead of him, so something remarkable would have to happen for him to make the 53, IMO.

72) Tim Barnes, C – (#64, #52, #48, #50)

Barnes once looked horrible in training camp video, and started off being ranked with little to no chance at making the 53. Then Zuttah was cut, making Barnes the backup center by default with Beadles needing to take over at LG for Garnett. So Barnes was somewhat safe, until Magnuson started chasing him down. Magnuson got into the game before Barnes did last game, and Barnes didn’t even play on the line, only on Special Teams. That’s a clear sign that Magnuson was slotted over him. With the addition of Tomlinson, has chances have all but ended. His only shot now is an injury to Magnuson tonight and the team wanting to keep 9 OL. Not likely happening, and that’s a good thing for the quarterbacks.

73) DeAndre Smelter, WR – (#67, #61, #67, #68)

With Burbridge down via injury, Smelter was given the opportunity on Special Teams to show his worth as a gunner. He did well. However, he showed nothing as a receiver, so he in essence is back to battling with Aaron Burbridge for the gunner role, a battle which he should ultimately lose. Since Burbridge’s injury is supposed to be minor, this means Smelter has very little shot of winning a spot on the roster.

74) DeAndre Carter, WR – (#69, #71, #76, #70), Practice Squad Player #5

Never really gave Carter much of a shot at sticking around, and he has not really made his mark on any important role. Still, he benefits from Bolden making the roster in these predictions, as that opens up the second WR spot on the PS.

75) Adrian Colbert, CB – (#59, #59, #64, #67), Practice Squad Player #6

Colbert has steadily fallen in these rankings and went from having an outside chance at the 53-man squad to having no real chance. Of everyone remaining, I give him a minimal boost simply because he was a draft pick of this regime, but he seems a sure bet to stick around on the practice squad.

76) Andrew Gardner, G – (NR, NR, #85, #69)

Gave him an outside shot last week based on how bad our interior line is/was. The addition of Tomlinson pretty much ends that. However, Gardner was out playing with the 2s like I wanted, so he ranks here by virtue of playing the most snaps of anyone remaining and looking okay.

77) Shayne Skov, LB – (NR, NR, NR, #77)

Skov will not make the roster behind everyone he is behind. Minimal shot by virtue of being a veteran, but he’ll likely be just as available on the free agent list as he was last week.

78) J. P. Flynn, OL – (#81, #82, #80, #81)

He probably should not be moving up in these rankings, as he has not been good at all when he’s been in. Still, he had the most offensive line snaps of anyone remaining, so that gives him the best shot of those remaining in all likelihood.  If Magnuson makes the squad, he’s the most likely option to make the practice squad as the interior offensive lineman.

79) Tyler McCloskey, FB (#89, #88, #89, #89), Practice Squad Player #7

I’ve been “hating” on the backup FB for far too long. McCloskey has played well, but I’ve maintained there’s no role for him with Juszczyk easily set to make the squad. However, something interesting has happened – McCloskey started getting TE snaps. Combine that with the fact that he played more offensive snaps than Bell or Celek in the last game, and you have a real wildcard. Still don’t think he has a chance, but with a few guys previously on the practice squad making the roster in this update, I’ll give him one of the open PS spots.

80) Darrell Williams, Jr., OL – (#85, #60, #61, #64), Practice Squad Player #8

Williams didn’t deserve to fall as he’s played very well when given the opportunity, but that’s only ever been with the third team line, and he’s clearly well behind both Theus and Gilliam so has no legitimate chance at the roster. Obvious practice squad player and slotted here because he’s the only one left who has played offense or defense in the last game.

81) Nick Rose, K (#90, #89, #90, #90)

Well, through last week he has been perfect in the preseason, and after hitting a 50-yarder, there has to be at least some upside questions here. I’m not saying he has an actual shot, but it boosts him ahead of guys that otherwise did not play while healthy last week (and thus having no chance).

82) Norman Price, OL – (#74, #75, #88, #88)

Probably the worst player this preseason. I begrudgingly rank him here because he did get in for a few special teams snaps last week which none of the others after him can say. Made sure to rank the backup FB and K ahead of him, though.

83) Noble Nwachukwu, DL – (#72, #73, #65, #65), Practice Squad Player #9

Did not play last week. Looked good in the preseason, and is the only candidate for the defensive line for the practice squad (unless by some miracle, Blair goes unclaimed).

84) Andrew Lauderdale, OL – (#82, #83, #72, #72)

Did not play last week. He’s only played at tackle with the 3rd OL, and while he looked good, Williams was more promising and the team is not likely to keep two tackles on the PS. 

85) Prince Charles Iworah, CB – (#77, #77, #77, #78)

Did not play once again. If it’s because he was injured, he might have a shot at sticking around on IR, but most likely he will just be a cut. Also has an outside shot at the practice squad, but it seems more likely the team will look elsewhere.  

86) Will Davis, CB – (#62, #70, #78, #79)

In a competition where everyone has been terrible, it’s not a good sign as a vet that you were held out of the game while healthy (unless he had an injury of which I was unaware). No shot at the roster either way.

87) Tim Patrick, WR – (Unranked, #72, #83, #83)

A scratch once again, and Patrick will not likely make the team in any capacity.  

88) Nick Mullens, QB – (#75, #76, #84, #84), Practice Squad Player #10

Once again, did not receive any playing time, and once again, Mullens is only the practice squad QB by default. Would not be surprised to see us look elsewhere, especially if he doesn’t see 4th quarter action tonight.

89) Open Roster Spot
90) Open Roster Spot

Previously Ranked:

NR) Vance McDonald, TE – (#45, #56, #53, #45)

He was looking safe until he was traded, which was obviously always going to be an option. Never put things together in SF, and we got out from under that contract now when we still have all this cap space. Good move.

NR) Sean Porter, LB – (Unranked, #67, #74, #75)

It was clear when he did not play in either of the last two preseason games that he was not going to make the squad. We made it official before tonight’s game.

NR) Ahmad Brooks, LB – (#21, #21, #19)

It was always a bad sign when he came in with the 2nd defense last game, but it’s still probably a little bit surprising that he was released. Best wishes to third place on the all-time 49ers sacks leaderboard.

NR) Donavin Newsom, LB – (#86, #64, #68)

As expected/predicted, Newsom ended up on IR and is slated to return next season to try again.

NR) Jayson DiManche, LB – (Unranked, #87, #71)

DiManche was waived/injured and is now on IR.

NR) Chanceller James, S – (#76, #58)

Great multiple times in run support, and often had good coverage as a safety. Was the main guy in coverage on a pass Mahomes sailed out of the endzone (though likely had to in order to avoid throwing an INT to James). Was called for an iffy pass interference in the third near the goal line on the next play. Did jump offsides later on an attempted blitz. He was in on the final punt return, so not sure when the injury occurred.

NR) Richard Levy, OL – (#83, #84)

I never noticed the snap he got and he was released so it didn’t matter.

NR) Malcolm Smith, LB – (#17)

Tough break for Smith. By all accounts he was having a stellar camp before the injury ended his season before it even began.

NR) Jeremy Zuttah, C/G – (#27)

Tough break for Zuttah. By all accounts he was having a lazy camp in which he seemed disinterested in competing at guard before the release ended his season (with us) before it even began.

NR) Jimmie Gilbert, LB – (#60)

I thought he was a shoe-in for the practice squad, but his injury means he’ll be sticking around anyway.

NR) Bruce Ellington, WR – (#66)

Ellington was released, claimed by the jets, and to no one’s surprise, did not pass a physical.

NR) BJ Johnson III, WR – (#68)

An injury has ended Johnson’s season early, but he’ll be able to be back with the team next year.

NR) Zach Franklin, CB – (#87)

Another player waived/injured and back with the team next year.

There you have it. Let me know your differences!

Archived