Jrry32 First Mock of March (03/08/2020)

jrry32

It has been awhile since I last put out a mock. I've unfortunately been busy with real life and haven't had as much time to watch players this year. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm hopeful I'll be able to do it. 

Restructure

QB Jared Goff

Goff's contract is one that makes sense for a restructure because it has a large roster bonus and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Re-sign

K Greg Zuerlein

OT Andrew Whitworth

DL Morgan Fox

QB Blake Bortles

All Practice Squad Players

All ERFAs

Yes, we're letting Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. He's a good but not elite ILB. Whitworth has announced that he wants to return. It makes logical sense to bring him back. It'll give Noteboom additional time to recover from his injury.

Trades

Rams trade WR Josh Reynolds

Bills trade 2021 Round 5 Pick

In this mock, we keep Robert Woods, but we still have a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game. Reynolds is entering the final year of his deal, so we flip him to Buffalo for a future 5th (to compensate for the 5th we traded to Cleveland).

Rams trade CB Nickell Robey-Coleman and Round 7 Pick #20

Bengals trade Round 6 Pick #1

The Bengals' slot CB, Darqueze Dennard, is a FA. NRC is still a quality slot CB who fits Cincy's scheme. With Ramsey, Hill, Long, and Darious Williams, we have enough depth and talent at CB to trade NRC and save a few bucks on his salary.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #20

Ravens trade Round 3 Pick #28 and Round 4 Pick #33

Ravens trade up for a player. They have multiple fourth round picks, so this isn't a huge loss for them.

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #34 and Round 6 Pick #20

49ers trade Round 5 Pick #10 and Round 5 Pick #30

49ers trade up for a player.

Rams trade Round 6 Pick #1

Saints trade Round 6 Pick #24 and 2021 Round 6 Pick

We trade down again.

Free Agency

AP_19231081765603.jpg?w=525

Stephen Weatherly OLB

Weatherly has been stuck behind Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter in Minnesota, but I think he's an underrated player. At 6'5" 265, he seems big for a 3-4 OLB at first glance, but he's an athletic big man who played 3-4 OLB in college. Personally, I think he's an underrated player who could break out if given a larger role. He's a really good run defender on the edge who has the athleticism to drop into coverage when needed. His pass rush potential isn't entirely clear at this stage, but he has shown flashes when given PT in Minnesota. I think he has the potential to be a real bargain for us.

AAFUfMb.img?h=348&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=490&y=249

Avery Williamson ILB

Williamson is a potential cap casualty for the Jets. He's a well-rounded ILB who was expected to be a major player next to C.J. Mosley coming off his strong 2018 season. However, he tore his ACL during the preseason and missed the season. I think he's a guy who could prove to be a real bargain this off-season. If he returns to his 2018 form, he's a good starting ILB who can do a bit of everything. Because he's a cut, he won't cost us a comp pick.

hi-res-c76d946452780eb86d46433bd5f9ddf8_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Jordan Reed TE

Reed is another cut for us to sign. This is a bit of a luxury signing for us, but Reed produced extremely well under McVay. Of course, the contract would have to be one heavy on incentives based on games played because of Reed's injury issues. Still, he could do well on a "prove it" deal here.

NFL Draft

Round 2 Pick #20 - Robert Hunt OG Louisiana-Lafayette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amIG_LweREM

Analysis: Hunt is a mauling monster of a run blocker who put his guy on the ground with regularity. At 6'5" 325 with good athleticism and overwhelming power, Hunt has the potential to be a perfect replacement for Rodger Saffold. During his time at Louisiana, he started at RT and LG. He has the athleticism and length to stick at RT, but he would need a lot of technical refinement in pass protection there first. At OG, I think he has the potential to compete for a starting job as a rookie due to his size, power, and athleticism. He'll need to be more consistent with his pad level and precise with his hand placement, though.

Round 3 Pick #28 - Jonathan Greenard OLB Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIF9wrXiEsA

Analysis: I said awhile back that I expected Greenard's stock to take a hit at the Combine, and that seems to have happened. Greenard has had some durability struggles in college and didn't test extraordinarily well, but he's a heady pass rusher who does the little things well. He's also an extremely tough player who will play through injuries and give it his all on every snap. He has the potential to be a solid all around EDGE defender. As a pass rusher, his footwork stands out to me. He understands how to use stutters and false steps to get the OT out of position.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Evan Weaver ILB California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13Z-MaE6a8

Analysis: Weaver actually turned in a much better Combine than expected. I thought with a poor showing, he'd fall to the 5th or 6th round. Instead, he turned in a respectable Combine. He ran a 4.76 40 (better than the 4.8 40 expected of him) and performed well in the agility drills. Weaver has his limitations and will never be a good matchup for twitchy HBs and receivers in M2M coverage. But he has phenomenal instincts, can defeat blocks, and is a heady zone defender. Yes, Weaver has his athletic limitations, but he's also a tackling machine who will leave everything he has on the field.

Round 4 Pick #33 - James Lynch DL Baylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8iOvwFQzM

Analysis: It's possible that Lynch goes higher than this. He's a tough projection. He put up stellar production this year (19.5 TFLs and 13.5 sacks) as a 3-4 DE, but his traits aren't special. He has good burst and power for a 6'4" 290 pound DL, but he has very short arms and doesn't really have any dominant traits. He's a smart player who plays hard and executes his responsibilities well. I've seen him compared to Matt Ioannidis, another DL I liked who fell way further than he should have. Lynch is capable of spelling Donald or playing 5-Tech.

Round 5 Pick #7 - Nick Harris C Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQvM-7Q9Jo

Analysis: Harris had a rough Senior Bowl week and is undersized at 6'1" 300, but the Senior Bowl wasn't really a place where he'd stand out. It doesn't play to his strengths. Harris is a great athlete with outstanding movement skills and really shines as a combo blocker. He's also very experienced and heady. He's an active and aggressive player who compensates for his lack of size with his aggression and core strength. Harris is likely to fall down the board due to his small stature and lack of positional flexibility, but he has the potential to be an effective starter in a ZBS like ours.

Round 5 Pick #30 - Broderick Washington DL Texas Tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCe7ESUtl0

Analysis: Washington is a lunch-pail defender who was well liked by Texas Tech's coaches and his teammates. He's not going to be a game-changing talent in the NFL, but he's a guy who can be an effective rotational player because he's capable of playing any position on an even front. He plays the game with effort and violence, uses his short and squatty build well to clog up gaps in the running game, and shows great awareness when it comes to finding the football. He's an effective run stopper who unfortunately doesn't appear to have a ton of pass rush potential.

Round 6 Pick #24 - Quintez Cephus WR Wisconsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjl_Q1kR0qM

Analysis: The Combine went very poorly for Cephus and likely dropped him from a 4th round pick to a 6th/7th round pick. It's hard to ignore his 4.7 40. That's brutal. But it's also hard to ignore the tape on Cephus. He's a quality route runner with outstanding hands who uses his strength and size to create separation at the catch point. He's also an excellent run blocker, which is important in our scheme. And while his 40 was quite bad, he doesn't play anywhere near that slow on tape.

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Todd Gurley

WR: Brandin Cooks

WR: Robert Woods

WR: Cooper Kupp

TE: Tyler Higbee

LT: Andrew Whitworth

LG: Competition

C: Competition

RG: David Edwards

RT: Rob Havenstein