Ravens 2022 Roster preview

AngusMcFife

Time to review the roster, evaluate the position groups, and see what needs to be done this offseason.

QB:
STAYING: Lamar, Huntley
FA: Johnson
- Not much to be done here. Huntley has proven himself an adequate backup who can keep the games competitive.  We need to find a QB3 for the practice squad since McSorely is gone. 

RB: 
STAYING: Dobbins, Edwards
BUBBLE: J. Hill, T. Williams, McCrary (future contract?)
FA: Freeman, Murray
- It turns out going into the season with only 2 proven RBs was a massive mistake. We don't know how Dobbins and Edwards will recover, so we definitely need to invest in a high quality RB either through FA or the draft. 

FB:
FA: Ricard
- I'm assuming that we will try to re-sign Ricard. Interesting we didn't pick up Ben Mason when he was cut from the Pats practice squad, he's with the Bears now. If Ricard leaves, we can slot a TE in his position without much drop off. 

TE: 
STAYING: Andrews, Boyle
BUBBLE: Oliver
FA: Tomlinson
- I'm assuming Boyle will be back to full strength by 2022. I don't see any problems finding a TE3 for cheap. Tomlinson seems fine. 

WR:
STAYING: M. Brown, Bateman, Duvernay, Proche, Wallace
BUBBLE: Boykin
FA: Watkins
- Bateman and Brown make a good 1-2, and the rest of WRs are good role players. No need for further investment here. 

OL:
STAYING: Stanley, Zeitler, Mekari, Cleveland, J. James, T. Phillips
BUBBLE: Powers, Villanueva, Colon
FA: Bozeman, Sharpe
- In theory, Stanley and James make a good LT/RT combo. I'd like to re-sign Bozeman at C. I've seen enough improvement from Phillips from year 1 to 2 to say he stays, he was always supposed to be a project. This position group is the hardest to assess and predict what will happen, IMO, since so much depends on Stanley and James.  

DL: 
STAYING: Wolfe, Madubuike, B. Washington
BUBBLE: I. Mack (future contract?)
FA: B. Williams, Campbell, Ellis
- Wow this group needs some help. Not sure what the plan is with B-Will and Campbell, who are still decent but clearly in decline. Ellis can probably come back on the cheap. 

EDGE: 
STAYING: Bowser (IR), Oweh, Hayes
BUBBLE: J. Ferguson
FA: Houston, McPhee
- Ferguson completely disappeared and should be cut IMO. Bowser is a huge loss. We definitely need to invest in another body here. 

ILB:
STAYING: Queen, Harrison
BUBBLE: Welch, Alaka
FA: Fort, Board, Bynes
- We need to solidify this group with a vet, we can probably get Bynes or Fort to come back. 

CB:
STAYING: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Westry
BUBBLE: I. Marshall
FA: Averette, J. Smith
- I'd like to re-sign Averette, but I'm not sure what he'll fetch on the open market. I like Westry's potential. Young may be in line for an extension to reduce his cap number. 

S:
STAYING: Clark, Stephens, A. Washington, Stone
FA: Elliot, Levine
- Elliot was a good player, but I'm intrigued by Stephens, he did well considered he hasn't been playing safety for long. Elliot could come back for cheap. Please no more Levine, he isn't worth a roster spot considering he can't play defense. 

ST:
STAYING: Tucker, Moore
BUBBLE: Koch
- Koch is making too much money for his current performance. If he doesn't want to renegotiate the deal, it's time to move on. 

Overall, I'd rate the position groups in the following tiers:

Need more bodies/lacking starting-caliber players:
- DL
- Edge

Have starters but need 1 or so more quality player
- RB
- CB

Pretty much set/could use veteran depth
- QB
- TE
- WR
- ILB