Leisher's 2022 Mock draft 2/23/22. A different look.

jleisher

See the source image

Rod Marinelli Senior Defensive Advisor

Trades:

xzrip6tfveh7sv0brk9p.jpg    sz3ceb87d7aqa4j5uqwz.jpg    Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams

TO:  Dolphins for

skl2oj90ublrkvnhf8cu.jpg    cuboliutq62qctbdkw81.jpg    Xavien Howard and Liam Eichenberg.  Picks #29, #123 2022, 2023 1st, 2024 1st.

jlafvxoweo5pg3gzjjjq.jpg    Za'Darius Smith

TO:  Colts

Picks #120 & #177

Sure, No free agent stuff or Cap space in this Mock.

Draft:

#28.

See the source image

Logan Hall Houston DE/Edge

OVERALL RATING: 87.4 / 100
GAME PERFORMANCE WEIGHTED RATING
TACKLING:

83%
PASS RUSH:

89%
RUN DEFENSE:

80%
DRAFT GRADE: 2ND - MID POSITION RANK: #12
COLLEGE GAMES: 46 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1539

Football IQ: Hall made strides as a processor in 2021 and that helped with the jump in production in addition to technical growth. His utilization as both an interior and edge player speaks to his football intelligence and I believe he does a good job of reading the set of his blocker and executing appropriately. He still has room to grow when it comes to processing the run but the development has been encouraging. 

Versatility: Hall’s versatility adds to his appeal. There is reason to believe he can play base end in a 4-3, 5-technique in a 3-4, and attack interior gaps as both a run defender and pass rusher. Houston played him up and down the line of scrimmage and he can do the same in the NFL. 

#29.  

See the source image

Boye Mafe Edge Minnesota

OVERALL RATING: 85.9 / 100
TACKLING:

78%
PASS RUSH:

93%
RUN DEFENSE:

74%
DRAFT GRADE: 2ND - LATE POSITION RANK: #15
COLLEGE GAMES: 42 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1086

Football IQ: Mafe’s reactive swiftness has improved throughout the course of his time in Minnesota. Play diagnosis hasn’t been an area that’s impressed as recently as the 2020 season unless the Gophers found themselves in obvious down-and-distance situations. While I do feel he’s still piecing together his full pass-rush pallet and feeling out his strategy there to win with consistency, he did appear to play more confident this past season. 

Versatility: I’m very impressed with his ability to do a little bit of everything. He’s crashed off the backside to run down plays, he’s picked up running backs on ‘BOBO’ assignments and carried them up the field stride for stride, and he’s won off the edge as a rusher. I see little reason an athlete of this caliber couldn’t grow into a maxed-out role on defense in the right environment. 

#59.

See the source image

George Pickens WR Georgia

83.9 / 100
HANDS:

81%
SHORT RECEIVING:

78%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

89%
DEEP THREAT:

89%
BLOCKING:

66%
DRAFT GRADE: 3RD POSITION RANK: #11
COLLEGE GAMES: 26 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1098

Route Running: He is a good route-runner. He understands how to attack leverage against man coverage. He also has the skill set to run the entire route tree.

Football IQ: His football IQ wouldn’t be classified as a glaring weakness. He has moments of adjusting his route depending on coverage and down/distance. 

Versatility: He lacks true versatility. He’s ideally suited outside and off the ball. His skill set does not project well to playing inside in the slot.

Big Play Ability to make big plays in an offense, particularly on downfield throws. He also shows the vertical deep speed to take the top off the defense. 

#92.

See the source image

Tra Turner WR Virginia Tech

OVERALL RATING: 79.3 / 100
HANDS:

76%
SHORT RECEIVING:

78%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

85%
DEEP THREAT:

86%
BLOCKING:

70%
DRAFT GRADE: 5TH POSITION RANK: #22

COLLEGE GAMES: 42 COLLEGE SNAPS: 2074

Route Running: The Hokies offense feasts on spacing, so there is plenty of room for Turner to develop and diversify his route tree. I do love the way he generates vertical push in his route stems to set up his route breaks. He is smooth in and out of breaks but I do like him best on the vertical plane. 

Football IQ: Turner’s ability to play inside and outside, and appeal attacking all levels of the field speaks to his football intelligence. I think he has excellent spatial awareness and makes terrific route adjustments. He sees the field well and has good overall instincts as a receiver. 

Versatility: Turner is a fully capable slot and outside receiver with playmaking ability to all levels. He can win down the field with speed and ball skills but also create for himself after the catch. He has very little experience on special teams but does bring value as a blocker.  

Big Play Ability: Turner has proven his big-play ability at Virginia Tech by averaging more than 17 yards per reception and nearly 10 yards per carry. He was able to achieve this despite highly inconsistent quarterback play for the duration of his tenure with the Hokies. Winning down the field should be a big part of his role in the NFL. 

#92.

See the source image

Verone McKinley III S Oregon

OVERALL RATING: 80.2 / 100
TACKLING:

62%
RUN DEFENSE:

66%
COVERAGE:

67%
ZONE:

70%
MAN/PRESS:

62%
DRAFT GRADE: 5TH POSITION RANK: #24
COLLEGE GAMES: 37 COLLEGE SNAPS: 2182

Football IQ: He has moments playing the game with good football IQ. He shows a good understanding of route combinations and down and distance. There are times where he will seemingly abandon responsibilities to go get the football, which can result in negative plays.

Versatility: Although he can cover in the slot in short spurts, in my opinion, he lacks true versatility in this regard. He should remain aligned on the back end in dual-safety looks. 

Special Teams: He has the skill set to play on special teams coverage units. He lacks the speed and swivel to play gunner, but as a core player in coverage units, he will suffice. My projection is that he will initially begin as a core special teamer and grow into a more prominent role.

#120.

See the source image

Dohnovan West IOL Arizona St.

OVERALL RATING: 83.9 / 100
PASS BLOCKING:

77%
RUN BLOCKING:

76%
DRAFT GRADE: 3RD POSITION RANK: #17
COLLEGE GAMES: 29 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1865

Competitive toughness: He plays the game with good competitive toughness. This is evident in his ability as a finisher in the run game. He plays the game with a nasty disposition.

Competitive toughness: He plays the game with good competitive toughness. This is evident in his ability as a finisher in the run game. He plays the game with a nasty disposition.

Versatility: He has true positional versatility. He has started this entire year at center, but has also been a prominent player at both right and left guard. 

#123.

See the source image

Jesse Luketa ILB Penn St.

OVERALL RATING: 78.3 / 100
TACKLING:

76%
PASS RUSH:

70%
RUN DEFENSE:

86%
COVERAGE:

76%
DRAFT GRADE: 6TH POSITION RANK: #23
COLLEGE GAMES: 40 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1279

Football IQ/Instincts: Luketa’s transition to the pro game will hinge on where he’s asked to play with the most consistency. I like his ability to diagnose and quickly discard blocks on the perimeter and I think he’s going to shine best as an on-the-LOS hybrid EDGE ‘backer, but that role will have to come with pass-rush reps and I just haven’t seen enough consistency there to think he can hit the ground running as a rookie. But I do think he’s got the upside to develop into an effective speed-to-power rusher. 

Leadership: Luketa has served as a team captain for multiple years at both the high school and college level, so I don’t foresee any issues with him as a high character presence in the locker room. He’s a high-energy player and does very well to charge up his teammates with enthusiasm after a big play. I appreciated his ability to step in for LB Ellis Brooks vs. Wisconsin after a targeting ejection and man the ILB spot to get Penn State through the rest of the fourth quarter and be effective with calls. 

Versatility: Obviously his resume speaks for itself with reps taken as both a stack linebacker and a pass rusher on the edge. I think his off-ball resume will be watered down for the pro game, but I can see him as a SAM linebacker and I can certainly see him fulfilling a prominent role on special teams as a punt team player and someone who serves on the kickoff team. 

#131.

See the source image

Matt Hankins CB Iowa

Versatility: I think he has enough reactive movement skills to move inside if you wanted to play him on a specific matchup and needed to reduce him inside, but his bread and butter is playing deep-third coverage and I appreciate his footspeed to pedal here and stay leveraged. He’s got ample special teams appeal with his movement skills and physical approach. I think you could make an argument for him to play all four special teams kick units. 

Competitive Toughness: His demeanor is easy to appreciate and he definitely shows he’s got “the dog” in him as a defender. His functional strength is sufficient but he really stands out with his ability to negotiate blocks and traffic on the edge in the run game. 

Football IQ: Hankins has served as a starter for the Hawkeyes going all the way back to 2017, so he’s a well-seasoned player and it shows. He trusts his fundamentals, illustrates good field vision and anticipation for route combinations, and has handled passing off routes and banjoing coverage sufficiently when faced with stacks and switch releases. 

#140.

See the source image

Sterling Weatherford LB/S Miami OH

OVERALL RATING: 78.5 / 100
TACKLING:

62%
RUN DEFENSE:

70%
COVERAGE:

55%
ZONE:

50%
MAN/PRESS:

59%

Miami (OH) safety Sterling Weatherford projects as a developmental sub-package defender at the NFL level and someone who should be able to carve out a significant special teams role for himself at the next level.

Football IQ: He’s a redshirt senior defender who has played a LOT of football and it shows. He’s been given a lot of roles as someone playing high post, someone manning a traditional WILL alignment on the second level, and even someone with opportunities to be walked up on the end of the line of scrimmage. He’s a vocal leader and clearly helps run point on defensive calls, too. There are some technical lapses in his game that lead to missed opportunities, but part of me feels those are him trying to anticipate and lean into the play development and make plays that may challenge his range as both a tackler and deep-coverage defender. 

Versatility: I think Weatherford will be asked to do less in the pros than what he’s been asked to do in college but I see ample opportunities for him to make an impact as an NFL player. The special teams upside is strong, as is the sub-package reps on the second level and inside of 15 yards. Don’t put him in a box as just a safety, though—I fear you may miss his overlap between traditional roles. 

Competitive Toughness: Just about spit out my drink a few times watching him drive on routes cutting across his face. He’s capable of generating a ton of force and is a big-time enforcer when his range isn’t tested. His pursuit is excellent and you’ll see him press to fill out of deep alignments. I appreciate the energy he plays with as well—he’s hard to miss when he’s between the lines. 

Special Teams Ability: I think Weatherford has the potential to be an absolute stud in this regard. I’d like to see him take on roles in all four components of the kicking game and I think he can be a good upback on the punt team. His linear speed will help him get downfield and cover kicks and his physicality will make him a threat as a special teams backer to square up returners. 

#171.

See the source image

Eyioma Uwazurike DE Iowa St.

OVERALL RATING: 78.4 / 100
TACKLING:

85%
PASS RUSH:

77%
RUN DEFENSE:

83%
DRAFT GRADE: 6TH POSITION RANK: #32
COLLEGE GAMES: 47 COLLEGE SNAPS: 2104

Effort/Motor: Uwazurike has a solid overall motor. He is willing to chase the ball-carrier down the field and chase plays backside. At times, Uwazurike is rotated out of the game, which could be an indicator of his need to improve his overall conditioning. 

Football IQ: He has a good presence and overall knowledge of the offensive line. He can diagnose run blocks and understand what leverage offensive linemen are trying to get on him 

Versatility: Uwazurike has versatility in the fact that I believe he can play in both a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. With that being said, he would only be considered as a defensive lineman. He has limited athleticism that would prevent him from being effective on the edge.  

#178.

See the source image

Charlie Kolar TE Iowa St.

OVERALL RATING: 80.1 / 100
HANDS:

87%
SHORT RECEIVING:

87%
INTERMEDIATE ROUTES:

94%
DEEP THREAT:

84%
BLOCKING:

68%
DRAFT GRADE: 5TH POSITION RANK: #8
COLLEGE GAMES: 48 COLLEGE SNAPS: 2043

Route Running: Kolar is a long-legged galloper. As a result of his hip stiffness, Kolar struggles to hit the breaks at the top of his stem. He lacks twitch and explosiveness to defeat man coverage consistently. Therefore, do not expect him to create natural separation, he will be more effective attacking zone coverages.

Hands: Kolar has an excellent pair of mitts. His soft hands are as reliable as they come in college football. He comfortably plucks the football out of the air with full extension. In traffic, Kolar consistently reels in his targets. His strong hands make him a quarterback’s best friend and safety blanket. Since 2019, he has a drop rate of 3%.

Football IQ: Kolar has good knowledge of down and distance. He understands where his route should be run in regards to the first-down markers. Identifies coverages quickly into his stem. Finds the soft spot in zones to present himself to his quarterback. 

Big Play Ability: Kolar is not known for big or explosive plays downfield. He is not a vertical threat for the defense to consider—despite having 13 yards per reception over his career. His game revolves around working the short-to-intermediate areas. His contested-catching prowess can provide some explosive plays but those throws are riskier. 

Ball Skills: Kolar is exceptional at tracking the football in flight. He operates with calmness and confidence in his ability to make a play on the ball. Despite lacking athleticism and leaping ability, Kolar uses timing and his huge catch radius to reel in contested catches. Purdy had the utmost confidence in Kolar against defenders in contested-catch situations. 

Green Bay trades Picks #226, #241, #258 and 2023 6th rd pick to Texans for pick #181.

#181.

See the source image

Nick Zakelj T/G Fordham

OVERALL RATING: 77.0 / 100
PASS BLOCKING:

63%
RUN BLOCKING:

69%
DRAFT GRADE: 7TH POSITION RANK: #39
COLLEGE GAMES: 18 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1225

Competitive Toughness: Zakelj is an aggressive blocker that loves to fit his hands, leverage his hips, run his feet, and displace opponents. He generates notable force when he uncoils and looks to put opponents on their back. His motor always runs hot and he continuously looks for work on every snap. 

Football IQ: Zakelj is an experienced player but there is room for consistency with his technique. In pass protection, he needs to be more patient and not be too eager—that leads to issues with weight distribution and softening his own edges. He has not had issues with penalties. 

Versatility: Zakelj was a college left tackle but a move to guard may be best for him in the NFL. I like him much better in a gap-blocking run scheme than zone. He’ll need to prove himself on the inside but the appeal of being able to “get you by” for a short period of time at tackle does help with his versatility. 

UDFA's

See the source image

Isaiah Pola-Mao S/ST USC

See the source image

Dare Rosenthal T Kentucky

See the source image

Carson Wells ILB/ST Colorado

See the source image

Max Borghi RB Washington St.

See the source image

Jared Smart WR Hawaii

See the source image

Josh Whyle TE Cincinnati

See the source image

Damion Daniels NT Nebraska

See the source image

Isaiah Chambers DE/Edge McNeese St.

See the source image

Erik Swenson OL Oklahoma

See the source image

Tanner Conner WR Idaho St.

See the source image

Montrell Washington KR/PR Samford

See the source image

Dylan Cook T/G Montana

See the source image

Tre Walker LB/ST Idaho

See the source image

Amandre Williams DE/Edge Montana St.

See the source image

Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston St.

• Like 2

Great effort on the mock here, with all the focus on the offseason and what seismic shifts may or may not be on the horizon it's nice to see one so draft centric.

Also refreshing to see one involving a Rodgers trade that isn't to Denver. In my opinion, people who think he's going to Denver have no imagination.

I do think that getting Howard back from Miami plus several draft picks might be unrealistic since typically you don't see players returned in a trade that don't fill the same position (like Kyle Orton in the Cutler trade). But Miami is certainly a veritable destination for Rodgers, though I'm not sure he signs an extension with them which could lower the deal if he doesn't agree to do so ahead of time.

I toyed with the notion of trading Z too but I don't think any team would give much for his 1 year, 15m contract after missing all of last season. They can get a cheaper free agent with less injury concern on a longer deal. 

As for the picks, interesting to go Edge Edge, then WR WR. I take it you think we cut Preston too, and are dubious of us resigning Gary long term. But they are some interesting prospects, some of which I don't know much about, so it was very informative to read through the profiles.