2024: First Impressions - From Rookie Camp to Training Camp

Posted (edited)

This covers post-draft, OTAs, Rookie-camp, and Mini-camp. Everything before reporting day in August.

We can start with Goldfishwar's annual draft review. He's at #15 and our name has not come up although the Broncos have. The Chargers and Raiders are also in the top half of the league. It's also worth noting that the Bills and Ravens have already been honored while the Bengals have not.

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

First two “highlights” of Worthy…both drops.  Great confidence builder, lol.

Rookies don't play much in our system. Hill didn't Obviously, Moore didn't. Rice was a special case and that took half a season. 

On 5/5/2024 at 9:40 PM, onejayhawk said:

Rookies don't play much in our system. Hill didn't Obviously, Moore didn't. Rice was a special case and that took half a season. 

Not going to have a choice this year. Needs to be better.

• onejayhawk changed the title to 2024: First Impressions - From Rookie Camp to Training Camp

The battle in the RB room is starting to take shape. Pops (Isiah Pacheco) is the only sure thing but former 1st-round pick Clyde Edwards-Helaire is close to certain. AS to the rest, this article will give you a primer following the release of RB La'Micel Perine.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_no_3_running_back_battle_is_beginning_to_take_shape_with_latest_roster_move/s1_17313_40377157

Not mentioned in the article but worth noting is that rugby player Louis Rees-Zammit is listed as RB.

Posted (edited)

LRZ, if he makes it, I think will at least initially be the special teams card. Worthy should be our returner but can we afford for him to be our returner? I want a straight race between Worthy and LRZ, want to know if LRZ is fast, or quick.

The question for LRZ, is can he take constant hits, rugby is plenty physical, but not necessarily bashing every play. And can he get the playbook. Andy isn’t a quick learn, so if he can’t run a play, it can’t protect Pat…he won’t be back there.

My wildcard is Emani Bailey, they obviously wanted enough to pay extra to get him here. I just feel like there’s something about him.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Bailey

Bailey is interesting. This article lists six players to watch in OTAs but only two are not draft picks.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/6_chiefs_rookies_fans_should_pay_close_attention_to_during_otas/s1_17313_40387393

RB Emani Bailey
I mentioned earlier that you shouldn't pay much mind to running backs during this portion of the offseason, but I think Bailey might be the exception to that rule. Firstly, he had a dreadful pre-draft process from an athletic testing standpoint. Just seeing him in action and moving around should clarify that his testing doesn't tell the full story. Another reason that Bailey is someone to pay attention to now? He's a dynamic receiver. Whether it's screen passes, Texas routes, motioning out wide, or your typical dump-off pass, he should be heavily involved in the passing game for Kansas City.

WR Jaaron Hayek 
Hayek has already defied the odds by making the 90-man offseason roster after trying out during rookie minicamp. He was the only one of over three dozen tryouts to make the offseason roster after impressing with his hands, physicality, and ability to pick up the offense in short order. With veterans now in attendance, it'll be interesting to see where Hayek slots and how much of an opportunity he'll be afforded to impress coaches and decision-makers. 

Trent McDuffie should know about offenses. It's a professional interest. He thinks the offense this year is far ahead of last year at least on the deep passes.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_cb_trent_mcduffie_hints_that_the_offense_is_already_looking_much_better_than_this_time_last_year/s1_17313_40403159

Man, they are rolling. Definitely have some weapons. When I think about last year this time, I think the defense was low-key getting after that offense. We are battling this year. At least for me, a DB, going against receivers like X when he comes back, Brown, I feel like it's just going to sharpen my tools even more.

Y'all saw today Pat is just back there throwing it deep play after play. I think defensive-wise, the timing and just understanding what guys are really about. Mentally, just how focused you can be. When guys are rolling like that, your keys, how you're reading things, how fast you're doing things, everything is going to speed up. Being able to go out there and play.

22 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

He thinks the offense this year is far ahead of last year at least on the deep passes.

Helps to have an actual viable option. MVS could get out and open but reached the point where throwing to him was an after thought, Rice and Moore aren’t that guy. Watson is what he is, and Toney, well I guess it’d depend on if he’s a football player or rapper that day.

Really really disappointed in Worthy, but can’t say I’m surprised. Just hope we didn’t blow a pick and give up another on a guy that’s never going to be healthy because he weighs a buck twenty-five.

Posted (edited)

This article runs down three non-draft pickups worthy of consideration--RB Deneric Prince, S Trey Dean III, and LB Cam Jones. Jones and Prince were on the 53-man roster last year and seek to expand their footprint. Dean was with NYJ.
 https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_otas_naming_three_returning_players_fans_might_be_sleeping_on_heading_into_the_2024_nfl_season/s1_17313_40407613

Another interesting player is former 2nd-round pick, CB Kelvin Joseph. He is on his 4th team but has the physical chops found in second-day players. His experience is getting him early playing time in OTAs. Training camp will see if he can carve out a roster spot.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_otas_former_cowboys_second_round_draft_pick_making_plays_in_practice_for_kansas_city/s1_17313_40407283

Edited by onejayhawk

The Left Tackle spot is one of the most important position battles of the offseason. The principal names have been Wanya Morris and Kingsley Suamataia with an occasional nod to Lucas NiangChukwuebuka "Chu" Godrick was our international developmental player last year. He's from Nigeria and had zero experience with American football when he started last year. It appears that he has learned a lot. Also mentioned is UDFA Ethan Driskell.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_ol_coach_andy_heck_gives_surprising_update_on_key_position_battle_at_otas/s1_17313_40424052

More on Chu from last summer.
https://atozsports.com/kansas-city/kansas-city-chiefs-jason-chu-godrick-international-first-football-game-preseason-week-1/