Training Camp Notes/Discussion/Observations Thread

Interesting notes worth looking at going forward:

- Judon was a participant. He wants a new deal, but doesn’t look like he’s going to hold out or hold in…for now. Ditto on Davon Godchaux and Jabrill Peppers.

- Musical chairs along the OL. Calvin Anderson at RT, Big Mike at RG. I’m not sure there’s a winning combination here, but personally I’d like to see them find a decent enough rotation and just stick with it. Sliding guys all over the place all summer is going to result in an even messier September, IMO.

- Barmore came off the field. Apparently it didn’t look serious but…yeah. Guy’s had knee issues sporadically for his whole career, so let’s hope he gets himself right. Gonna need him, big time.

- Looks like Polk was taking reps with the 1’s, wouldn’t shouldn’t be a surprise, especially with Bourne on PUP.

Nothing we haven’t been used to hearing the last handful of seasons, lol. The defense looking further along than the offense. At least this time it’s very much to be expected, given the turnover at HC, OC, QB, and musical chairs at OL. Meanwhile there’s minimal turnover defensively. 

Nice to hear Maye is taking what’s there. 

More OL shuffling, which apparently was the plan coming in. Onwenu back at RG, Vederian Lowe (cringe) and Wallace taking reps at RT, Chuks and Anderson repping at LT. Leverett and Mafi practicing at center with Jake Andrews out. 

2 hours ago, Soko said:

Nothing we haven’t been used to hearing the last handful of seasons, lol. The defense looking further along than the offense. At least this time it’s very much to be expected, given the turnover at HC, OC, QB, and musical chairs at OL. Meanwhile there’s minimal turnover defensively. 

Nice to hear Maye is taking what’s there. 

Different OC each of the last four years, McDaniel, ____, O'Brien. Van Pelt.   But at the same time the defense has a very different group of coaches this year...

8 minutes ago, jofos said:

Different OC each of the last four years, McDaniel, ____, O'Brien. Van Pelt.   But at the same time the defense has a very different group of coaches this year...

Different coaches technically, but a lot of the same faces and little turnover. As far as the starting lineup goes, I don’t think there’s anyone new at all, lol. Mayo, Belichick, and Covington running the show, they all had their hands in the defense last year.

Offensively it’s multiple new OL, new QBs, some new WRs, new OC, new HC (at least as far as looking at the offense), new assistants across the board I think.

Don’t get it twisted, I’m still pessimistic about the offense, lol. The excuses are there, but have to keep the context.

6 hours ago, LD696 said:

Why. Not. Just. Put. Onwenu. At. RT? Why?

That’s where I’d rather have him…

My assumption is that the team is thinner at guard than they realized. Strange, even when healthy, is a massive question mark, and Mayo’s already expressed that it’s very realistic for Strange to miss time going into the regular season - let alone camp. Jake Andrews may have a blip of potential there, but he hasn’t taken the field yet these first couple days. So that leaves Sidy Sow (who has been the fixture at LG so far), rookie Layden Robinson, Atonio Mafi (who was a disaster last year), and Nick Leverett. That group is even worse than the tackle group, IMO. They know big Mike is good for stepping out there, even with hardly any reps, so my hope is that the team wants to see if anyone sticks at RT, allowing them to keep Onwenu inside. 

Super concerning, and looking like a re-run of last season except at different spots. If Onwenu/Andrews/Sow get hurt at any point (and none of these guys step up), the offense is absolutely shot.

• Like 1

In the effort for full disclosure, Maye did also have what was called “the worst rep in camp” (only three days in) on a play where he threw a pick to Matt Judon. Still super early. Good to see the kid have a short memory.

More movement along OL. Chuks saw both sides, as did Wallace. Anderson and Vederian Lowe also saw action. Seems like the interior was set. 

Mapu and Barmore were limited.

Milton had the best day at QB, surprisingly. 

Harris seemingly has the inside track on RB3, although I still suspect Hasty comes away with it.

- Finally the same group started two days in a row along the OL! Wallace-Sow-Andrews-Onwenu-Chuks. Might be the best grouping.

- Baker had the biggest day at WR, after Polk was the star on Day 3. 

- Maye had an up and down day, while Jacoby held things down without taking too many risks with the 1s.

Good news: it’s not Barmore’s knee keeping him out.

Bad news: it’s blood clots.

That’s tough. Not really sure what that means for him or his future, medically, but hope he’s alright and can get back on the field at some point.

• Like 1