The Only Mock Necessary

babyatemydingo

So, somebody had to mack the draft.
Just because there is only one pick in the first two days does not make the draft any less interesting ..... or less important.

So .....

The Eagles trade a 1st Round pick and a 6th Round pick to Buffalo for the LA Ram's 2nd Round pick and the Cleveland Brown's 3rd Round pick, both owned by Buffalo.
The Bills have to sacrifice 22 to move up with 12 to get a QB.
They now have the opportunity to move up again to 32 to get a DT or an LB who can contribute this year.
Think Maurice Hurst, Da'Ron Payne, Rashaan Evans, etc.
Or maybe they go DT-LB with the first two and are staring at Mason Rudolph at 32.
It is hard to say as the Bills have so much flexibility with so many picks.
Either way, it would most likely be a draft day deal.

2 WR - Anthony Miller
He is about as polished a receiver as you'll find outside of the top 10 picks these days.
He's not an All-Pro waiting to happen, but he could easily develop into a high-end WR2.
He'd round out the receiving corps nicely.
I rarely feel like the Eagles should draft a WR, much less with the first pick.
While I've heard him compared to Doug Baldwin, I think his floor is Jason Avant and his ceiling is Reggie Wayne.

3 LB - Josey Jewell
An old school MLB, he'd be the first since Jeremiah Trotter.
He has great instincts and hits like a truck.
Having him in the middle would allow other LB's to play in more space.
I envision a Bradham-Jewell-Hicks corps before injuries.

4 RB - Kalen Ballage
His combine numbers were mostly good where they count.  4.46 (3rd), 15 reps (15th), 6.91 3-cone (4th), 4.35 shuttle (15th)
However, he is considered a prototypical committee RB.  That's fine with me.
He is a good enough receiver that he could be considered a candidate to move outside in time.
He is a terrible (pass) blocker at this point.  That needs work, but you're not going to get the full package at this point.
A lot has been made of him being under-used in college.  The coach who did that is no longer the coach.
He can return kicks.

4 DB - Holton Hill
This guy's a mess.  He needs to take a good look in the mirror ..... and not from two inches away.
But, he is big (6'3"/200) and fast (4.49) and can tackle and can cover some.
His metrics don't line up with the top corners.  But, he'd be ideal at safety.  
I am a huge proponent on moving big corners to safety when applicable.
If the Eagles feel like they can wrangle him in with leadership, particularly Malcolm Jenkins, he could be a steal.

5 LB - Kenny Young
With the impending loss of Mychal Kendricks (which I believe will happen for salary cap reason) the Eagles should invest in a pure speed LB.
He would be mostly a special teams demon and could see some sub-package duty.
He will still need to pack on some muscle to stay in the league.

7 TE - Nate Wozniak
First of all let me say that he's NOT the next Jason Peters.
However, he is a superior blocker who primarily blocked in college ..... even on some passing downs.
He takes great angles.  He understands leverage.  He's agile.  His footwork is pro-ready.  And he always finishes his blocks.
You may not see him more than 10 yards downfield unless he is blocking at the second level.
One day, 40 pounds from now, he could be transitioned to left tackle.
Again, he'll never be Jason Peters, but he may one day be Alejandro Villanueva.

**Note:  I've never seen such a great discrepancy in the seeding amongst players.
Some guys may seem a round too high or a round too low.
I used nfldraftscout as the ultimate authority just to gain some bearings.
There may be better players I would have selected come draft day and some of the guys I have slotted lower may go higher.
I am not saying this as a caveat for me being wrong, but rather to temper the "He'll never be there" or "He's not a fourth round pick, he's a seventh" discussion.
Enjoy.

Archived