Can a Portland fan help me out?

navysaintsfan

So I was curious about the whole "Rip City" thing with the Blazers so I took to google. And I find this article:

https://ripcityproject.com/2014/09/08/why-portland-is-called-rip-city-portland-trail-blazers/

And now I am more confused then before.

The Trail Blazers struggled early, falling behind the Lakers by double-digits. It seemed that the Lakers would win handily, as expected, until the Trail Blazers made a significant push in the second half, bringing the game within two points. It was then that Trail Blazers guard Jim Barnett launched an ill-advised, deep shot to tie the game and play-by-play announcer Bill Schonely blurted out, “RIP CITY!”

The Trail Blazers would eventually lose 136-114, but that moment within the game lives in history. It is important to remember that although the ABA introduced the three-point field goal in the 1970s, it was not adopted by the NBA until the 1979-80 season. Barnett’s heave was considered more of a circus shot at the time, electrifying the crowd.

Schonely, the creator of other beloved Trail Blazers expressions like “Bingo Bango Bongo” and “You’ve got to make your free throws” does not know how he came up with the term “Rip City”. Now 85, Schonely reflects back on the effect it had on Oregon sports.

Huh? He just blurted out random words? Rip City? What the heck does it even mean? The guy who said it doesn't even know what it means or how he came up with it. I thought it would be something really cool, but this is a real let down xD Portland didn't even win the game he said it in. Can someone fill me in on what I am missing?

Archived