Six teams have to play the Rams and Chiefs a combined three times..

FrantikRam

This in itself is not too unusual. Last season for example the NFC East played the NFC West, so six teams played the Rams/Eagles a combined three times - against those six teams the Eagles went 7-2 and the Rams went 6-3. Both teams dropped the last game of the year resting starters, so likely would have been 8-1 and 7-2 respectively.

What I think is a bit unusual so far is that  the Rams are 6-0 against these teams with games left against the Seahawks, at AZ, and home for the Niners.

The Chiefs are 3-0 and have home dates left with the Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos and Chargers - and are on the road for the Raiders and Seahawks.

While division rivalries can't be taken lightly and resting may occur, it seems as though the only chance for a loss here is when the Chiefs travel to Seattle - but these teams have a solid chance to go 18-0 combined against these three teams and are half way there - with only a combined three road games remaining.

I find this interesting because for one, I'm not sure it's happened before - and two, at the end of the year, people will (and in the Rams case already have) be bashing the NFC West, and possibly the AFC West too - but being down potentially 18 games to what might be the two best teams in the NFL at the end of the season is nothing to be ashamed of.

Under the current structure of how games are assigned, there isn't a long history to compare with.  It started in 2002 with the 4 team divisions, so we only have roughly 17 season this could have happened.  Out of that only 4 times where 2 teams swept their division in the same year... but none of those years did those divisions play each other.

So yeah, if this happens, it'll be the first time ever.

Archived