Bama- good or bad for college football?

CKS97

Just now, wwhickok said:

Over Bama in 2016? No one. But PSU wouldve been the Big 10 rep.

No last year. You said Bama shouldn't have made it that there were more deserving teams.

Why is this so hard for you. YOU said they didn't deserve it. I ask who did. It seems pretty straight forward.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

No last year. You said Bama shouldn't have made it that there were more deserving teams.

Why is this so hard for you. YOU said they didn't deserve it. I ask who did. It seems pretty straight forward.

First when i was talking about other teams that shouldve made it, i meant 2016, to answer the question you just asked Oklahoma who actually lost to highly ranked teams rather than a late season loss to Auburn, if you argued anyone into the playoff but thats highly debateable.

I also stated I wasnt limiting this criticism to Bama, just brought them up specifically as an example because thats who waa used as the subject matter.

Bama is a damn good team and when they do get in, theyve proven it isnt wrong, having said that, i think voting is inconsistent for many teams.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

unranked Auburn

You need to get your years or facts straight. Auburn was #6 when they beat Bama and moved up to 2 by beating them. They would have been in the playoffs if they didn't lose the rematch with UGA in the SEC Championship.

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I also stated I wasnt limiting this criticism to Bama

Your very first post brought up Bama in the first sentence and was all about SEC bias. Yet playoff wise ONLY UGA made it last year from the SEC other than Bama.  Then your last paragraph AGAIN was specifically about how you don't think Bama drops enough when they lose.

So what exactly is your criticism if it isn't basically about Bama?

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You need to get your years or facts straight. Auburn was #6 when they beat Bama and moved up to 2 by beating them. They would have been in the playoffs if they didn't lose the rematch with UGA in the SEC Championship.

Your very first post brought up Bama in the first sentence and was all about SEC bias. Yet playoff wise ONLY UGA made it last year from the SEC other than Bama.  Then your last paragraph AGAIN was specifically about how you don't think Bama drops enough when they lose.

So what exactly is your criticism if it isn't basically about Bama?

Youre right, i was wrong about Auburn. (I looked it up before stating it, what i was looking at didnt show the #6 ranking, i looked elsewhere and was coming back to correct myself because i realized i made an error) I do think that about Bama dropping.  Separately i think there has always been an SEC bias.

Here is my bottom line. Many teams, including Bama consistently have a very weak schedule. IF they lose (these media driven teams with weak schedules) the drop is inconsistent.

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Youre right, i was wrong about Auburn. (I looked it up before stating it, what i was looking at didnt show the #6 ranking, i looked elsewhere and was coming back to correct myself because i realized i made an error) I do think that about Bama dropping.  Separately i think there has always been an SEC bias.

Here is my bottom line. Many teams, including Bama consistently have a very weak schedule. IF they lose (these media driven teams with weak schedules) the drop is inconsistent.

Let's just do Playoff Era here. Here are Bama's SOS ranks (Per Sagarin at the end of the bowl season)

2014-15: 2 (OSU only made it up to 29; TCU and Baylor the #5 and 6 teams in the final playoff rankings finished 51 and 59 respectively)
2015-16: 1 (Clemson finished at 21; Iowa, Stanford, OSU who were 5-7 finished 52, 12, 60)
2016-17: 1 (Clemson finished at 3; PSU, Michigan Oklahoma 5-7 finished at 34, 49, 15)
2017-18: 27 (Georgia finished at 6; OSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, USC, UCF 5-8 and 12 finished at 13, 47, 3, 11, 72)

So far this year (not including yesterdays games) Bama has an SOS of 37

Where are these VERY weak schedules you speak of?

EDIT: New SOS release Bama now at 61 with Auburn (19th best team in rankings) and Georgia (4th) left. So they will go up.

It should also be noted that of the top 10 in the playoff rankings only LSU's SOS is in the top 25 and UGA and Michigan are the only others in the top 40 (at 38 and 40).

Archived