which top tier CB could we trade for

3rivers

@Money tomlin is a part of the problem, but not sure how much blame for him.  have been a critic as much as most here, but he has has some problems with the draft, GM, OC, DC etc... how much of that he can/will fix I don't now. I expect the play calling to change now that ben isn't running the team, or shouldn't  be anyways.  They need to get back to running the ball and playing better defence. I have my doubts about the defence as long as butler is here though. Maybe if Ola gets a chance and the pass rush improves, and with Minkah it should help. If Bush gets better and baron gets used to this scheme, it could turn out much better than many here though. Right now they have to get used to the new starters and that could take a while.

no OJ land, save that for someone else. 

Do we need a corner? I’d like to think that we can maybe draft a slot guy next year. I know we’re not great at it, but it’s pretty much a crap shoot for drafting guys corners anyway. Nelson and Haden aren’t bad at all, and Layne has a ton of potential and it seems like we actually won’t have to rush him into starting. Our only weakness at corner is Hilton, and our defense seems to be building toward mitigating the need of an “elite” slot corner. With Minkah and some hopeful progression of Bush and Edmunds, they can help cover the middle and let Hilton do what he does best, attack.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do we need a corner? I’d like to think that we can maybe draft a slot guy next year. I know we’re not great at it, but it’s pretty much a crap shoot for drafting guys corners anyway. Nelson and Haden aren’t bad at all, and Layne has a ton of potential and it seems like we actually won’t have to rush him into starting. Our only weakness at corner is Hilton, and our defense seems to be building toward mitigating the need of an “elite” slot corner. With Minkah and some hopeful progression of Bush and Edmunds, they can help cover the middle and let Hilton do what he does best, attack.

Do we "need" one right now? No, we need an edge rusher.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Definitely. I think Chick's injury is a blessing in disguise. Ola will provide much needed balanced edge rushing. Plus maybe Ola doesn't miss that tackle that Chick does against Seattle. 

maybe Ola takes over starting if he outplays dupree?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

maybe Ola takes over starting if he outplays dupree?

Maybe if he outplays Dupree, but I'm not so sure he will. Ola isn't very athletic and he can't really cover. I know Bud makes mistakes but he's athletic and can move around some in space. Ola can really only rush the passer, which leads me to believe that he'd be best suited for a rotational guy/situational pass rusher. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe if he outplays Dupree, but I'm not so sure he will. Ola isn't very athletic and he can't really cover. I know Bud makes mistakes but he's athletic and can move around some in space. Ola can really only rush the passer, which leads me to believe that he'd be best suited for a rotational guy/situational pass rusher. 

I agree with all of that but Dupree cant evennrush the passer. He isnt that good in coverage. Ola should at least get more pass rush opportunities. Every person that suggests it was the right move to pay Bud Dupree 9.25M or whatever, is ...well they're missing something between the ears. It was a major waste of money.

I've never hoped for a torn acl for anyone like I at times wish for it with Dupree. It's not even that I want him to be hurt, I want him off the freaking field.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with all of that but Dupree cant evennrush the passer. He isnt that good in coverage. Ola should at least get more pass rush opportunities. Every person that suggests it was the right move to pay Bud Dupree 9.25M or whatever, is ...well they're missing something between the ears. It was a major waste of money.

I've never hoped for a torn acl for anyone like I at times wish for it with Dupree. It's not even that I want him to be hurt, I want him off the freaking field.

I want Ola to get a chance, but at the same time I can't want a player to get hurt, nobody deserves pain and rehab etc.  The coaches need a wake up call, but it won't happen for several weeks IMO. They will keep trying to let dupree prove he was a good RD1 pick, but we all know that isn't happening. I just hope he doesn't get garbage stats vs reserves and scrubs which in turn kept him starting. Skipper should be traded for, and put chickillo on IR. That will get more pressure on dupree, and also offer legit reserves if dupree actually got hurt.  

Another reason I want the 4-3 is to have the DL players focus on their duties and then get coverage LB's or safety hybrids for the coverage part o fit game. I know butler won't do it, but maybe tomlin will step in later in the season. They played some 4-3 in the pats game last year and a few others, but not enough.  Put the 4 best players out there, and that keeps dupree on the sideline.  3 best coverage LB's, keeps dupree and williams on the sideline.

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

He isnt actually otb, but Vernon Hargreaves wouldnt be a bad investment. He is having the best season of his career and tbh, a decent one so far.

I was thinking of VH3, but I doubt arians would help the steelers in any fashion after they kicked him out, but he might trade for ben, but that would be it (since they were really close).  Is VH3 playing outside or slot? What about trading dupree and burns  for VH3 ? I know colbert won't do that, but what do you think? 

How about trading a late RD pick to the giants for skipper too. IR chickillo. 

23 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I really like the 3-4 but we dont have the personnel to run it effectively right now. Problem is we dont have the 4-3 personnel either 

this is the issue I have with this FO, they never got legit players to run either. I still think with the current roster, a 4-3 would be better, as it keeps Hargraves, Heyward, Tuitt and What out there at all times. Much better than what is happening on the front typically now. The coverage though, might be better with Baron, Bush and Gilbert.  trade bud and burns  to bucs for VH3 ;)

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Definitely. I think Chick's injury is a blessing in disguise. Ola will provide much needed balanced edge rushing. Plus maybe Ola doesn't miss that tackle that Chick does against Seattle. 

chickillo was a let down on that play for sure. It takes injuries for this regime to allow youth to get a chance. Still not as bad as the lebeau regime, but it's what is required still for a player like Ola to get his chance.   

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

@Money tomlin is a part of the problem, but not sure how much blame for him.  have been a critic as much as most here, but he has has some problems with the draft, GM, OC, DC etc... how much of that he can/will fix I don't now. I expect the play calling to change now that ben isn't running the team, or shouldn't  be anyways.  They need to get back to running the ball and playing better defence. I have my doubts about the defence as long as butler is here though. Maybe if Ola gets a chance and the pass rush improves, and with Minkah it should help. If Bush gets better and baron gets used to this scheme, it could turn out much better than many here though. Right now they have to get used to the new starters and that could take a while.

no OJ land, save that for someone else. 

No one else can take blame for the locker room dysfunction except for Tomlin. 

Quite honestly, we've had a top 5 talentwise team for at least the past five years. This year is not included. There comes a point in time when you gotta take a good hard look in the mirror and realize that Mike Tomlin has failed as Head Coach. 

These teams have been good enough to win. They are just ill prepared. And lack discipline. That falls squarely on the Head Coach. Losing to these Tennessee Titans. I mean, they're a joke. Mariota. Joke. They just thought they were gonna show up and win. 

These instances. The player's incidents and not properly handling them. Not believing in them on the 1yd line when you ain't getting back there anytime soon. Is exactly how he has lost the locker room. And is exactly the reason he must go.

Game management aside. It's the preparation and handling of the locker room is where he has failed most. 

End/

1 hour ago, Money said:

No one else can take blame for the locker room dysfunction except for Tomlin. 

Quite honestly, we've had a top 5 talentwise team for at least the past five years. This year is not included. There comes a point in time when you gotta take a good hard look in the mirror and realize that Mike Tomlin has failed as Head Coach. 

These teams have been good enough to win. They are just ill prepared. And lack discipline. That falls squarely on the Head Coach. Losing to these Tennessee Titans. I mean, they're a joke. Mariota. Joke. They just thought they were gonna show up and win. 

These instances. The player's incidents and not properly handling them. Not believing in them on the 1yd line when you ain't getting back there anytime soon. Is exactly how he has lost the locker room. And is exactly the reason he must go.

Game management aside. It's the preparation and handling of the locker room is where he has failed most. 

End/

agree with this post. The bold is something I have yet to pin point. JH92 said some players weren't hungry enough after the SB wins, and the result was not even making the playoffs the next year. That could be spotty leadership with some players and that can be a locker room fault too. 

I have been as critical as anyone, but also have some other people in the organization that I reserve some  credit for all this too. Ben and his influence and playing down to bad competition never helped either.  Maybe this season tomlin will finally get control of the locker room , but lets not hold our breath.  

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

agree with this post. The bold is something I have yet to pin point. JH92 said some players weren't hungry enough after the SB wins, and the result was not even making the playoffs the next year. That could be spotty leadership with some players and that can be a locker room fault too. 

I have been as critical as anyone, but also have some other people in the organization that I reserve some  credit for all this too. Ben and his influence and playing down to bad competition never helped either.  Maybe this season tomlin will finally get control of the locker room , but lets not hold our breath.  

How does a man who has no respect from the players suddenly get respect. They don't respect him  bc how he lets people get away with murder and there's no accountability in the locker room. 

This isn't speculation. It's players that leave airing the dirty laundry. Ben is surely to blame. But that shouldn't be a problem anymore.