Washington Football Team releases Vet RB Adrian Peterson

Ty21

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That didn’t seem like the point he was making. More that 10 years ago, a RB with average hands wasn’t as huge a deal, 20 years ago it was even less a big deal. However in today’s game it definitely makes that player much more one dimensional and less valuable. When AD had otherworldly rushing ability, it didn’t matter, however fast forward 10 years and while his rushing abilities would be at the requisite level to still be a starting RB, his pass catching abilities are not.

That seemed to more accurately reflect what @JAF-N72EX was communicating regarding AD and his skillset. Prime AD is still a top 3 RB in today’s game, but would hold less value in today’s game than yesteryears due to his deficiencies as a receiver. Whereas guys like LDT and Faulk would still hold the entirety of their value in today’s games due to their skillset.

This. All the way.

The game has evolved. It's a passing league. RB's need to be more than just a power runner with quickness and good vision. They need to be able to contribute in the passing game with some sort of regularity. 

The best RB's today are not the same as they were a decade or so ago. This is like saying Centers in the NBA are the same as they are now as they were a decade ago when all they needed to do was post up and play defense.....no the game change, they better be able to shoot from long distance. 

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Go back and read what I said and stop latching on to me saying 10 years -- an arbitrary year that first came to my mind. Would me saying 8 or 12 years make you feel better? Or should I have added a tilde when I said 10?  Your latching onto semantics. 

Uh, okay? Who’s “latching on to” 10 years? 

A young Adrian Peterson would be one of the league’s best RBs in 2020.

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Are you seriously trying to compare Henry, Chubb, and Jacobs to AD?!  Stop it. 

Let me put it in super simple words for ye’. If those three can be great running backs, amongst the best in the league despite having limitations as pass catchers, then one of the GOAT RBs with similar limitations shouldn’t have an issue. Get it?

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

You did. That was literally the first thing you said.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

We're not talking about a YOUNG AD. We're talking about a 35 year old AD -- (there @Ty21, is that better lol). Your getting off subject. 

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Let me put it in super simple words for ye’. If those three can be great running backs, amongst the best in the league despite having limitations as pass catchers, then one of the GOAT RBs with similar limitations shouldn’t have an issue. Get it?

Again, we're not talking about AD when he was in his prime. 

Off-topic, you consider Chubb, Henry, and a rookie great?!?! Woah.

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You did. That was literally the first thing you said.

“10 years ago? A 10 year younger AP is the best RB in the league today, or at least right there...”

Could be 10 years, 12 years, 8 years, 9.92848482 years - completely besides the point.  But I guess bringing something up in one line = latching on to. Good to know for the future!

We're not talking about a YOUNG AD. We're talking about a 35 year old AD -- (there @Ty21, is that better lol). Your getting off subject. 

Again, we're not talking about AD when he was in his prime. 

“His skill-set was a great asset to have 10 years ago but times have changed...”

“Nowadays, RB’s need to be able to contribute in the passing game and that’s always been the weakest part of his game.”

I’m no linguistics major but sounds like that’s the past to me. The problem is his age, not his skill set. Bringing up what his skill set was and what the weakest part of his game has always been, more than implies that it wouldn’t translate to today. Otherwise why bring it up?

Off-topic, you consider Chubb, Henry, and a rookie great?!?! Woah.

You’re going to say I’m latching on to semantics and then start us down a road where we have to define great, all-time great, currently great, and very good? Lol.

You’re smart enough to understand the relevance those three have and why they were brought up.