Top 5 Player Surprises Through 8 Games

TheOnlyThing

Kenny Clark. Nice 2nd year jump. Clark shows the ability to be a top run stuffer for years to come. Love the effort as well, though it would be nice to see him get his first career sack.

Blake Martinez. Nobody was higher on Martinez when he was drafted than me. But his rookie year left a lot to be desired, possibly because he battled through injury. Anyway, in year two, he looks far more comfortable and has turned into a solid player. While I doubt Blake will ever become a difference-maker, he looks to be the best Packer inside linebacker since Desmond Bishop flashed for a brief time 7-8 years ago.

Justin McCray. Talk about a guy from whom nothing was expected but who has actually played pretty decently, that is McCray. He has played nearly 70% of the team’s snaps at a variety of positions, including left tackle and he has been at least OK. Last week, Mike McCarthy said “If I was going to give out an MVP award [for play through 7 games], he’d definitely be in the conversation.”

Jahri Evans. Despite Bulaga being out most of the first half of the season and a revolving door at RT next to him, Evans has more than held his own. In fact, the run game, at least once a legitimate RB was given an opportunity, has been better than expected and Evans gets at least some of the credit for that development.

Aaron Jones. It is so fun to see a back with a burst in the GB backfield after so many years. Jones has not just been a good RB for a 5th round pick, he has been one of the top RBs in the NFL since he was given an opportunity 4 games into the season.

Who you got?

Archived