The Slide

onejayhawk

Jarrick McKinnon could have made the record books with a Super Bowl TD. Instead, he entered the fabled halls of mandatory replay by dropping to the ground and sliding to the two yard line. He finally has spoken about it.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_jerick_mckinnon_opens_up_about_famous_super_bowl_slide/s1_13132_39087840

In an interview with Adam Teicher, McKinnon said

I don’t think in the moment I understood the magnitude of it. We were just running a play and I was just doing what I was supposed to. Afterward, after I had a chance to sit back, it really hit me. It started to become bigger than I thought it was. It’s part of my legacy. It’s a great picture of putting the team first. That’s what I’ve always been about. That play had a lot of significance to me.

Edited by onejayhawk

On 8/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, onejayhawk said:

Jarrick McKinnon could have made the record books with a Super Bowl TD. Instead, he entered the fabled halls of mandatory replay by dropping to the ground and sliding to the two yard line. He finally has spoken about it.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_jerick_mckinnon_opens_up_about_famous_super_bowl_slide/s1_13132_39087840

In an interview with Adam Teicher, McKinnon said

I don’t think in the moment I understood the magnitude of it. We were just running a play and I was just doing what I was supposed to. Afterward, after I had a chance to sit back, it really hit me. It started to become bigger than I thought it was. It’s part of my legacy. It’s a great picture of putting the team first. That’s what I’ve always been about. That play had a lot of significance to me.

The epitome of a team first guy.  So glad we brought him back.  He meant SO much for us last year and honestly I don’t think we make the SB without his contribution last year.

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

The epitome of a team first guy.  So glad we brought him back.  He meant SO much for us last year and honestly I don’t think we make the SB without his contribution last year.

For a journeyman player, to create an iconic play of this stature is truly remarkable.

That he downplays it as just doing his job is the mark of a true professional.