The Referees and the NFL

Chiefer

25 minutes ago, typecast said:

I've never said a "fix is in". I believe the Brad Allen simply screwed up and they aren't copping to it. Rather than process the information being presented to him during the moment—Decker visually and verbally signaling his report as eligible—Allen made the decision on his own accord based on how the Lions had reported earlier in the game. He made an assumption which was an error on his part. The assumption screwed both the Lions and the Cowboys.

I'm aware holds don't get called with any consistency. I'm aware Cowboys fans are very sensitive about the topic. My point is the "poster child" play had glaring errors by the ref and can't simply be hand waved away as "just make a play".

I apologize if I came across as "sensitive" - wasn't my intent.  In fact, I agree with what you posted above 100%. While Stephens clearly was trying to make it LOOK like he was reporting eligible (he wasn't) to trick the Cowboys, he also tricked Allen and Allen made assumptions based on past plays instead of being 100% present in that moment and realizing it wasn't Stephens but Decker who was reporting eligible.  That being said, when he announced it to the Defense and the entire stadium, the Lions knew what would happen if they went ahead with the play.

That being said, refs screw up and they screw up a lot.  They aren't as bad as I've seen in MLB (Angel Hernandez) and I don't think they're calling games for their own profit.  I think it was the OP who suggested that they were "fixing games" and another poster that suggested it was for betting purposes, which was why I pointed out the blown calls earlier that even let Detroit get to that spot.  It wasn't necessarily directed at just you.

• Like 1

The refs aren't any worse than they have been. People just love to complain and have more avenues to voice their frustrations today. We had a week long ref controversy OVER THE CORRECT CALL. The refs can get 99% of the calls correct and people would still think they suck.