2024 Mexico City Zapatas - 5th Draft Season

Techbert

I gotta do this. I have COVID, but I need to post my 53-man roster before kickoff, so here ya go.

qb Trevor Lawrence JAX, Tyson Bagent CHI, Mac Jones JAX
rb  Saquon Barkley PHI, Devin Singletary BUF, Jordan Mason SF, Trey Benson AZ, Dylan Laube OAK
wr Amari Cooper CLE, Tee Higgins CIN, Elijah Moore CLE, AT Perry NO
te/fb Trey McBride AZ, Jared Wiley KC, Hunter Luepke DAL
ot  Jedrick Wills CLE, Terence Steele DAL, Josh Jones BAL, Frank Crum DEN
og Trey Smith KC, Kevin Zeitler DET, Andrew Voorhees BAL, Mason McCormick PIT
c  Lloyd Cushenberry TEN, Jon Gaines AZ

de/edge Trayvon Thibodeaux NYG, Trey Hendrickson CIN, Bryce Huff PHI, Calais Campbell MIA
idl  Sheldon Rankins CIN, Kobie Turner LAR, Bobby Brown LAR, Travis Jones BAL, Dewayne Carter BUF, Andrew Billings CHI
lb  Ivan Pace MIN, Willie Gay NO, Leo Chenal KC, Isaiah SImmons NYG
Dcb  L'Jarius Sneed TEN, Zyon McCollum TB, Dallis Flowers IND, Cory Trice PIT, Storm Duck MIA
s  Tyrann Mathieu NO, Jeremy Chinn WAS, Brian Branch DET, Markquese Bell DAL, Brenden Schooler NE, Tycen Anderson CIN

st Tyler Bass k BUF, Matt Araiza p KC, Ross Matiscik JAX

PUP/NFI/etc
Ricky Pearsall wr SF
Isaiah Wynn og MIA
Uchenna Nwosu edge SEA
Drew Sanders lb DEN

Lost to another team:
Jarrett Stidham qb DEN
Izzy Abanikanda rb NYJ
Stone Forsythe ot SEA

Kamu Grugier-Hill lb MIN
Byron Murphy scb MIN
D'Anthony Bell s CLE
Xavier Woods s CAR

Sam Martin pBUF
Alex Ward ds LAR

Edited by Techbert

Instant Reaction:

1. Okay. As I said, I have COVID, so I reserve the right to make changes to the above, but they had to be caused by delirium and not just bad judgment.

2. I just lost 9 guys to another NFL team. That means they picked over my waiver wire like no one else's business. (And technically Jalen Coker was on the 53 for a day, so he would have been claimed and then released per my simulation rules.) So I accumulated talent. IRL I would have tried to translate this to future draft capital, but I don't have a simulation that fits that right now. 

3. I know I shed a couple of starters and kept a couple of untested UDFA's who will not contribute this year.

4. Zammit! (My current curse word of choice, in honor of Louis Rees-Zammit for whom I fought off Jax and kept on my international slot.) The New York Jets screwed me. They went out of their way to tell me and the world that they were done with Izzy Abanikanda. He was a pariah, a dead man walking most of last year and quite a bit of camp this year. So I planned a succession plan to replacement him. I'm talking a multi-year contact I would not have agreed to is they had not had not... I won't say it, nor will I say who I would have drafted differently in round 2 which would have set off a chain reaction I cannot even fathom. Anyway I think Izzy is a talented runner with elite size and speed and he can learn to block pass pro. And my draft turned out fine and if I counted on Abanikanda my draft would have been similarly fine but with different names.

5. Super happy with the guard situation. Two vets. Two young players being groomed. I am not happy I will lose Trey Smith, but I have a salary cap plan. They position will be in good hands.

6. I had decided to medically hide Pearsall before he was shot. 

7. I still want to deal a backup quarterback, and pissed the NYG have decided to tank. But I cannot force a trade.

8. Overall, I believe this year I will be able to run for as many yards as I want, throw for enough yards, and my defense will hopefully play even better. (We will see how the veterans hold up and the young players continue to develop.) I have a succession plan in place for most of the postions and can fix the rest in next year's draft. I calculate I can survive the Trevor Lawrence salary jump. I feel pretty good and if enough of my players ball out this year I will start a fresh team next draft.

9. My most emotional cut this year? Alex Ward long-snapper. Love him. Almost cut the best long-snapper in the league just to keep him, but my insanity has boundaries.