McCallan Castles te Tenn Phi

Tier 4 (25%)
Jaden Shirden rb Mon Car
Storm Duck cb Lou Mia

Bonuses per actual teams

Edited by Techbert

Posted (edited)

Post Draft / Pre-Camp Roster:

qb: Trevor Lawrence 4 JAX, Mac Jones 4 JAX, Jarrett Stidham 5 DEN, Tyson Bagent 2 CHI
rb: Saquon Barkley 7 PHI, Devin Singletary 6 NYG, Jordan Mason 3 SF, Izzy Abanikanda 2 NYJ, Tre Benson R AZ, Dylan Laube R LV, Frank Gore R BUF, Jaden Shirden R CAR, Turbo Miller R NYG, Louis Rees-Zammit R KC
fb: Hunter Luepke 2 DAL, 
wr: Amari Cooper 10 CLE, Tee Higgins 5 CIN, Elijah Moore 4 CLE, AT Perry 2 NO, Ricky Pearsall R SF, Jalen Coker R CAR, Zay Jones 8 Az
te: Trey McBride 3 AZ, Jack Stoll 4 PHI, Armani Rogers 3 WAS, Jared Wiley R KC, McCallan Castles R PHI
ot: Jedrick Wills 5 CLE, Terence Steele 5 DAL, Stone Forsythe 4 SEA, Josh Jones 5 MIN, Garret Greenfield R SEA, Frank Crum R DEN
og:  Trey Smith 4 KC, Kevin Zeitler 13 DET, Andrew Vorhees 1 BAL, Isaiah Wynn 6 MIA, Mason McCormick R PIT
c  Lloyd Cushenberry 5 TEN, Jon Gaines 1 AZ

edge: Trey Hendrickson 8 CIN, Kayvon Thibodeaux 3 NYG, Uchenna Nwosu 7 SEA, Bryce Huff 5 PHI
idl: Sheldon Rankins 9 CIN, Kobie Turner 2 LAR, Bobby Brown 4 LAR, Travis Jones 3 BAL, Andrew Billings 7 CHI, Dewayne Carter R BUF, Gabe Hall R PHI
lb: Willie Gay 5 NO, Ivan Pace 2 MIN, Drew Sanders 2 DEN, Leo Chenal 3 KC, Kamu Grugier-Hill 9 MIN
cb: L'Jarius Sneed 5 TEN, Byron Murphy 6 MIN, Zyon McCollum 3 TB, Dallis Flowers 3 IND, Cory Trice 1 PIT, Storm Duck R MIA
s: Tyrann Mathieu 8 NO, Xavier Woods 8 CAR, Jeremy Chinn 5 WAS, Brian Branch 2 DET, Isaiah SImmons 5 NYG, Markquese Bell 3 DAL, Tycen Anderson 3 CIN, Brenden Schooler 3 NE, D'Anthony Bell 3 CLE

st: k Tyler Bass 4 BUF, p Sam Martin 12 BUF, Matt Araiza p 1 KC, ls Alex Ward 2 LAR, ls Ross Matiscik 5 JAX

Edited by Techbert

Nice draft, adds competition an possible future starters. Pearsall and Benson will contribute immediately. I don't love your DB group, I'd prefer a little less safety and a little more CB but overall it's shaping up nicely

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, adamq said:

Nice draft, adds competition an possible future starters. Pearsall and Benson will contribute immediately. I don't love your DB group, I'd prefer a little less safety and a little more CB but overall it's shaping up nicely

Oh, I agree. I built for and around Trevor Lawrence on offense, and started with the Edge and IDL on defense. I wanted to move up for a cb this draft but just could not make it reach.

On the corner/safety issue, Branch is really my only draft capital at safety and he is corner-ish. Most of my safety depth is UDFA Special Teams experts, which any team needs to be great. I hate that I spent so much free agent money on the defensive backfield but what else could I do? 

Next year should be a rich year for edge, and I will probably replace Hendrickson, who was a great FA signee. But I always think of the old Al Davis line that you can never have too many cornerbacks.

• Like 1

Draft Review:

WR

What I had: Amari Cooper has been killing it with Cleveland since Dallas gave up on him, but between age and contract he does not have much time left in the NFL. I think he plays this year but he has cap savings if he is cut so he is not safe. Voids after this year.  Tee Higgins plays for Cincy. IOW he is disgruntled and underappreciated. But he is a prototypical X receiver, and X receivers are on the field all game long. I expect to sign him but it won't be easy. Elijah Moore has disappointed me, but there is something still there. AT Perry is developing as a nice X receiver piece. At worst, he is a deep threat and an end zone target.

What I needed: I hate the XYZ designations, but I need an X, a slot, and a Z. Replace Cooper. Probably replace Higgins. Draft over Moore as soon as I can. But other than that, the position is great. 

What I got: Ricky Pearsall was slept on by everyone but the 49ers, I am convinced. He can do most anything you need receiver to do. If he gets stonger, and he will, he can be X. I think he is best at Z. The world thinks he is a slot. So yeah, I think he can do it all. He may not be Tall Guy, but he is not small. He is Fast Guy, but gets some prejudice about that. He is definitely Crafty Guy. He has a really good feel for zone, and if he had a quarterback this last year the world would see he can beat man and he would have gone Top 15. If you have not seen the Charlotte Catch, go see it. Now I did not draft Ricky based on a highlight, but that catch shows you what you are getting. First, he has the quick mind to see what was going to happen and translate that to his muscle movements in a split second, and you really really want that. Second, he was fearless instead of saying it is just Charlotte I can alligator arm this ball and we are still okay, and you really really want that. Third, he reversed his body position in mid-air to make the catch in the only way he might have held on to it, and not everyone can do that even if they wanted that. Fourth, he took the hit from two defenders and held on and then stood up to tell the defenders with his actions that they can't touch this, and I like that. I thought Jalen Coker was draftable, but the League did not. Good size and measureables. Good production across all route depths. Two problems: first, Holy Cross. Second, he needs work on his release. I think his future is in his hands because there is nothing that he lacks in the God-given category. Happy I got him as a UDFA.

What will happen IRL: 49ers got protection if Aiyuk and/or Samuels flake on them. Even if they both stay I expect the 49ers to feed Pearsall at an advanced rate to be ready for when they do flake and to keep their egos in check if they stay for the long term. If one leaves, I think Pearsall has the skill set to fill either Aiyuk's or Samuel's role without the 49ers having to change their scheme... like at all. For Coker I do not expect Carolina to invest the time to develop him (because the League sucks plus they have their developmental bandwidth filled by Legette) but if they do I think he can help them and make Bryce Young a happier quarterback.

Posted (edited)

RB

What I had: Saquon Barkley was signed to be my bellcow. Same in Philly. He should be in his prime, but for rb the sun can set quickly. Devin Singletary was signed to spot Saquon and catch passes with a very team-friendly contract. The NYG supposedly signed him to be their #1 back but that seems a bit optimistic. For both the Zaps and the Giants, Devin signed to be with Brian Dabol again. Jordan Mason has averaged over 5 ypc in each of his two seasons but he is buried deep in SF, and the coaches do not see any reason to give him carries. Pity. Makes it hard for me to simulate using him. Izzy Abanikanda should be an exciting young back, but the NYJ have clearly drafted over him. I don't know why but I have to be ready for him to get cut. 

What I needed: An insurance policy for Barkley if he gets hurt, and a bright talent for the inevitable ahead. An insurance policy if Singletary and/or Abanikanda are not there. 

What I got: Trey Benson learned to trust his speed this season, and it make a world of difference. The only thing he needs to improve to be an every down back is his pass pro. Dylan Laube is from a small school and needs to add strength, but he is already a good receiver and pass blocker. I think a few training tables will make all the difference in his contact balance. I expect him to see the field on third downs as is. Frank Gore is not his daddy, but he has decent nimbleness and acceptable speed and we will give him a chance to show what he has. Jaden Shirden is a fast little bug and can make the team if he wins a return role. Same with Turbo Miller, who is short but not light. I don't know what I have with Louis Rees-Zammit but he is big and I hope his poor testing is due to unfamiliarity with the tests. Either way, I can salt him away for a while under the international umbrella and dream.

What will happen IRL: Benson will back up James Conner and get carries, and step in if something happens to Conner. If all goes to plan, Benson will take over after Conner's contract expires next year. If Laube has a pulse he should make the team and if he follows what the team trainer tells him he should beat out his 30-year-old competition for 3rd down back and it would not shock me if he beats out Zamir White and Alexander Mattison and actually starts for the Raiders. I expect Gore to be a practice squad dude. I hope Shirden or Miller win a return role. Again, I have no idea about Rees-Zammit but I like his name.

Edited by Techbert

TE/FB

What I had: If you have not been paying attention, Trey McBride has become a star. Jack Stoll can block. Armani Rogers can get hurt. Hunter Luepke can play special teams.

What I needed: A second receiving tight end that will not embarrass himself throwing a block.

What I got: Jared Wiley is a big boy with surprisingly easy movement. McCallan Castles will start on special teams but may grow into something from there.

What will happen IRL: Wiley has to get past real competition just to back up Kelce. I did not celebrate when KC picked him. Philly likes to keep tight ends on the roster, which gives Castles a slim chance.

• 2 weeks later...