2024 Off-Season Official Visits/Rumors/Reports

41 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

I got to be honest, I'm more disappointed is seeing Jonah Williams sign in Arizona, without even a single report that the Patriots had been interested, than I was seeing Ridley go elsewhere. 

I'm not sure what the plan is right now.  You could make the argument that they're heading into the draft with no solid answer at right or left tackle, no #1 or even #2 receiver, and no long term QB.  They're literally putting all their eggs into this year's draft basket.  I didn't think they were going to sign the whole world, but I didn't think the plan was to fill every hole with 2024 rookies either.

Few notes here: I think first and foremost…it’s still early. It’s 3 days into free agency. There are still other players at these positions (aside from QB) that are available, so I don’t think doom and gloom this early in is necessary. 

The plan has always been to add an OT/WR/QB in the draft, IMO. Maybe not Day 1 starters are QB1, WR1, and LT, but those were always three positions the team needed. The team’s alluded to having a vet start Week 1 at quarterback and having their rookie sit, so out the gate that was pretty much on the table. 

The WR FA class didn’t have a WR1. They were always going to need a rookie to develop into that, or trade for someone like Higgins/Aiyuk. Missing on Ridley was unfortunate, but I don’t think it nukes the WR room for 2024. At least, not anymore than it already was. 

There are still tackles available. Williams isn’t the only one. And I’ve seen beat writers allude to Onwenu staying at RT, which I think is the smart decision at this point. He’s been the only one capable there these last few years, and the position is dying for some stability. Okorafor also isn’t anything to write home about, but he could be a low end starter at RT in a pinch. A Day 1 tackle is still a need, but I don’t think they’re looking at two. 

NE’s building their depth, retaining the talent they had hitting the market, and still have ammo to take some more swings. Ridley was a loss, but I think FA has largely gone “according to plan”.

18 minutes ago, Soko said:

Few notes here: I think first and foremost…it’s still early. It’s 3 days into free agency. There are still other players at these positions (aside from QB) that are available, so I don’t think doom and gloom this early in is necessary. 

The plan has always been to add an OT/WR/QB in the draft, IMO. Maybe not Day 1 starters are QB1, WR1, and LT, but those were always three positions the team needed. The team’s alluded to having a vet start Week 1 at quarterback and having their rookie sit, so out the gate that was pretty much on the table. 

The WR FA class didn’t have a WR1. They were always going to need a rookie to develop into that, or trade for someone like Higgins/Aiyuk. Missing on Ridley was unfortunate, but I don’t think it nukes the WR room for 2024. At least, not anymore than it already was. 

There are still tackles available. Williams isn’t the only one. And I’ve seen beat writers allude to Onwenu staying at RT, which I think is the smart decision at this point. He’s been the only one capable there these last few years, and the position is dying for some stability. Okorafor also isn’t anything to write home about, but he could be a low end starter at RT in a pinch. A Day 1 tackle is still a need, but I don’t think they’re looking at two. 

NE’s building their depth, retaining the talent they had hitting the market, and still have ammo to take some more swings. Ridley was a loss, but I think FA has largely gone “according to plan”.

Ya I hear you, and I pretty much agree with everything you're saying, but with the signings they're making, they're almost setting themselves up to need the same positions in next years FA and draft.

I means say they go QB at #3, Tackle at #34 and then Wr in the 3rd.  The QB sits, which I'm OK with and agree with.  While this is a strong tackle class, I don't think there are a lot of natural left tackles outside of Alt and Fashanu.  So while you could very well hit a tackle in this year's 2nd round, it's still like that LT will be a top need next off-season.  Samething at WR.  It's a deep class and maybe you get a good player in the third.  Even if you do, probably still going to need a #1 caliber receiver heading into next year's off-season.  

Like you said, there's still guys out there to sign but unless they can get something truly impactful at one of the big need areas its hard to image that these won't be big need areas again next season.

1 minute ago, prob2236 said:

Ya I hear you, and I pretty much agree with everything you're saying, but with the signings they're making, they're almost setting themselves up to need the same positions in next years FA and draft.

I means say they go QB at #3, Tackle at #34 and then Wr in the 3rd.  The QB sits, which I'm OK with and agree with.  While this is a strong tackle class, I don't think there are a lot of natural left tackles outside of Alt and Fashanu.  So while you could very well hit a tackle in this year's 2nd round, it's still like that LT will be a top need next off-season.  Samething at WR.  It's a deep class and maybe you get a good player in the third.  Even if you do, probably still going to need a #1 caliber receiver heading into next year's off-season.  

Like you said, there's still guys out there to sign but unless they can get something truly impactful at one of the big need areas its hard to image that these won't be big need areas again next season.

Here’s another way of looking at it - 

Let’s say NE landed Williams at the same contract Arizona did, which is 2 years/$30M. Is that much different than landing Tyron, Leno, or Lucas for two years? Williams is versatile and younger, but it’s also not like he’s been a splendid tackle his whole career either. He’s experienced, and won’t tank your OL, but the Bengals OL has been loathed for a long time with him as the starting tackle. 

I’m with you, I’d still like another T and another WR. Them + a rookie, could turn those positions into solid or better. The outlook completely changes if, for instance, NE comes away with Tyron Smith and Tyler Boyd, for instance. Not that that’s likely, but that’d produce some real flexibility. Still plenty of time, let’s hope. 

Probably depends on how you feel about the QBs, but would anyone vehemently be against a pick swap for Tee Higgins? Or Brandon Aiyuk? That’d be a pretty massive fall.

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

Probably depends on how you feel about the QBs, but would anyone vehemently be against a pick swap for Tee Higgins? Or Brandon Aiyuk? That’d be a pretty massive fall.

So you're saying swap our first for their 1st and a the WR?  I wouldn't touch those at all.  So the Bengals wave goodbye to Higgins and draft MHJ?  The 49ers say goodbye to Aiyuk and and the 31st and draft MHJ?  Don't you feel like the Pats are getting the short end of both those deals?  I'd make trades for both of those guys but the 3rd overall pick wouldn't be involved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

So you're saying swap our first for their 1st and a the WR?  I wouldn't touch those at all.  So the Bengals wave goodbye to Higgins and draft MHJ?  The 49ers say goodbye to Aiyuk and and the 31st and draft MHJ?  Don't you feel like the Pats are getting the short end of both those deals?  I'd make trades for both of those guys but the 3rd overall pick wouldn't be involved.

If it was Higgins for MHJ straight up, sure, would be the short end of the stick. But it would effectively address WR1, and keep NE in the first round while keeping their high SRP. 

I’m not against taking MHJ at 3, actually for it, tbh. But it does handicap them a bit, because then you’re looking at Penix/Nix or worse at QB, and a third round tackle to potentially be a starter. 

The trade off, in this scenario, would essentially be: 

MHJ + Nix/Penix+ R3 or later tackle prospect

vs

Higgins + Nix/Penix/McCarthy + Latham/Guyton/Mims/Fuaga

This is all very idealistic, obviously. Just wondering what people thought of those trade offs. I’m a big Penix guy, so either wouldn’t be too upsetting to me.

If it was Higgins for MHJ straight up, sure, would be the short end of the stick. But it would effectively address WR1, and keep NE in the first round while keeping their high SRP. 

I’m not against taking MHJ at 3, actually for it, tbh. But it does handicap them a bit, because then you’re looking at Penix/Nix or worse at QB, and a third round tackle to potentially be a starter. 

The trade off, in this scenario, would essentially be: 

MHJ + Nix/Penix+ R3 or later tackle prospect

vs

Higgins + Nix/Penix/McCarthy + Latham/Guyton/Mims/Fuaga

This is all very idealistic, obviously. Just wondering what people thought of those trade offs. I’m a big Penix guy, so either wouldn’t be too upsetting to me.

I think there's enough receiver talent in the draft were you wouldn't need to make that kind of a move if receiver was a top 2 position of priority.  Like maybe it's because I like both these players, and just don't think Nix is very good, but I'd rather had Maye and Addonai Mitchell.  I think Mitchell is going to be a beast and would love to see the Pat's get him.

Nix and McCarthy just scream game manager to me.  After Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe I'm done with the QBs who lack physical skill, and but could be solid game managers if surround by a good team.  Drake Maye has his red flags but ultimately if Maye fails it won't be because he was limited by some physical attribute.  Like in my opinion. Maye will either fail miserably or boom like crazy.  

As far as your trades go though, I'd like to think the Pat's could do better if looking to work a deal around Higgins and the 3rd.  I mean your selling point is, "We're giving you the opportunity to give Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and MHJ."  That's worth more than a receiver who's already asked for a trade and the 18 OA pick.

8 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

I think there's enough receiver talent in the draft were you wouldn't need to make that kind of a move if receiver was a top 2 position of priority.  Like maybe it's because I like both these players, and just don't think Nix is very good, but I'd rather had Maye and Addonai Mitchell.  I think Mitchell is going to be a beast and would love to see the Pat's get him.

Nix and McCarthy just scream game manager to me.  After Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe I'm done with the QBs who lack physical skill, and but could be solid game managers if surround by a good team.  Drake Maye has his red flags but ultimately if Maye fails it won't be because he was limited by some physical attribute.  Like in my opinion. Maye will either fail miserably or boom like crazy.  

As far as your trades go though, I'd like to think the Pat's could do better if looking to work a deal around Higgins and the 3rd.  I mean your selling point is, "We're giving you the opportunity to give Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and MHJ."  That's worth more than a receiver who's already asked for a trade and the 18 OA pick.

Maye and Mitchell seem like a pipe dream at this point. I think Mitchell’s 4th off the board, maybe even in the top 20. Not even too confident Maye gets to 3, but that’s sort of besides the point. Obviously this is all under the assumption that NE isn’t enamored with Maye/Daniels, or the one they prefer isn’t there at 3. Otherwise you go QB, no ifs or buts.

If NE doesn’t take Maye or Daniels at 3, you’re cool with punting the QB position to 2025?

Maye and Mitchell seem like a pipe dream at this point. I think Mitchell’s 4th off the board, maybe even in the top 20. Not even too confident Maye gets to 3, but that’s sort of besides the point. Obviously this is all under the assumption that NE isn’t enamored with Maye/Daniels, or the one they prefer isn’t there at 3. Otherwise you go QB, no ifs or buts.

If NE doesn’t take Maye or Daniels at 3, you’re cool with punting the QB position to 

Honestly I'm taking Maye or Daniels, which ever one slides to me.  Maye ideally, but not devasted if it's Daniels.  I have no crystal ball but I hate next years QB class, am not a Shedeur Sanders fan, and would rather sit one of Maye/Daniels for two seasons than hope that I'm in a position to draft a top QB in 2026.  It's just to important of a position to sell that far down the road, and I truly believe that by sitting a QB for their first year you drastically improve their chances of success.

The down side is that QB at 3 almost guarantees that T and Wr are once again prioritize next offseason.

19 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

Honestly I'm taking Maye or Daniels, which ever one slides to me.  Maye ideally, but not devasted if it's Daniels.  I have no crystal ball but I hate next years QB class, am not a Shedeur Sanders fan, and would rather sit one of Maye/Daniels for two seasons than hope that I'm in a position to draft a top QB in 2026.  It's just to important of a position to sell that far down the road, and I truly believe that by sitting a QB for their first year you drastically improve their chances of success.

The down side is that QB at 3 almost guarantees that T and Wr are once again prioritize next offseason.

I don’t share the second sentiment, I don’t believe that round one of the draft is the only way that WR or T get addressed. 

I’m also not big on next year’s class, but I’m asking in the event that the team doesn’t care for Maye/Daniels or passes on them by taking Alt/MHJ/trading down, you’d punt QB? 

I think the team’s going QB at #3, but I’m not betting my house on it. More than one way to skin a cat, so they say. It’s bot Maye/Daniels or bust, for me, and I think that type of rigidness is going to lead to even more disappointment than the usual, lol.

17 minutes ago, Soko said:

I don’t share the second sentiment, I don’t believe that round one of the draft is the only way that WR or T get addressed. 

I’m also not big on next year’s class, but I’m asking in the event that the team doesn’t care for Maye/Daniels or passes on them by taking Alt/MHJ/trading down, you’d punt QB? 

I think the team’s going QB at #3, but I’m not betting my house on it. More than one way to skin a cat, so they say. It’s bot Maye/Daniels or bust, for me, and I think that type of rigidness is going to lead to even more disappointment than the usual, lol.

I don't believe that round one is the only place to get a T and WR either.  I'm just doing a poor job explaining my reasoning.  What I'm saying is, if the Pat's drafted Alt then you could step back and say, "OK between Alt, Owenui and depth pieces, I feel pretty good about the Pat's future at tackle."  After Alt and Fashanu, however, the vast majority of tackle prospects, while still good, are primarily RT, and on top of learning and adjusting to the NFL level would also have to contend with adjusting to a much hard position.  You could draft Guyton in the 2nd round and he could develop in a solid RT for years to come, but unlike my Alt and Owenui scenario at the top, having Guytons succeed probably leads to Owenui going back to guard, meaning the team still has a major need a LT next year.  You can get a good tackle in rounds 2 and 3, but can you get a good LT outside of Alt and Fashanu.

As far as the QB situation goes, I don't think they can completely punt on the position, but if they don't draft Maye or Daniels at 3 then and they go with a Nix or Rattler later in the draft, then signing Brisset looks more like a massive mistake to me.  They have to draft one, but I'd be far more concerned with Brisset, eventually giving way to Rattler, and would have signed a much more capable veteran.  I took Brissets signing as evidence that they only wanted a bookmark QB right now, because they would beinvesting a top pick on one of the premium prospects at that position.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Soko said:

Side note, I’m pretty sure you don’t care much for PFF - which is fine, I don’t swear by it or anything, but it + whatever else I can find about players I don’t know much about, does give me a frame of reference, though not a perfect picture.

Your right here.  I get frustrated when fans or NFL (Groh) depend on analytics. It should be, as you said, part of the overall evaluation.

If you recall, I went bat crap crazy when we drafted Thorton.  Groh comes out and give his PFF.  Note here, it had nothing to do with passing on Perkins. I wouldn't draft that nut job in the 7th round. Laugh,  I could care less about his PFF !!!!

I have a hard time believing you can measure heart and fear or judge some one that depends of coaching and 53 players.

It's as you say, a reference part of the overall evaluation.

Watch in the coming weeks. We will see RAS scores from the media on every player they want the Pats to take.

Wow look at those numbers, Nope.

12 hours ago, Soko said:

Onwenu back, you could slot him into RT and be confident there. Maybe they don’t want to, maybe he doesn’t want to, but it’s an option that’s shown to be successful in the past.

I see this opinion often. I think most are judging him based on the pathetic play the Pats have at RT. IMO he serviceable at RT compare to the NFL which shows us how bad we need OL. 

Funny I have read many comments in the media saying how great he is based on his PFF !!!!

I want him at OG and dominate,  this is were he shines. Side,  I wonder why they don't play him on the left side ???

12 hours ago, Soko said:

Sam Howell got sacked over 60 times, Leno only gave up 3 of those. High PFF scores the last couple years. 

This what we need a short term NFL OT not some scrub that never started or played for 32 teams. Scrap heap,  BB favorites!!!!

Thought,  I wonder what scores Riley Reff had when we signed him? I know my calculation results came out less than ZERO !!!!😁🥵

10 hours ago, prob2236 said:

I'm more disappointed is seeing Jonah Williams sign in Arizona,

I'm not. He's not the player we need to pay just to fill the OL. I look at him as a luxury, he can play multiple position however he not great at any.  You might be looking at him based on what we have and need, if so he looks all world!!!! The draft is loaded at OT.

Remember next year they won't win many games and they will be right back in the top 5, picks. This year we are picking players for 2025. 2024 is practice time for the rookies. 

10 hours ago, prob2236 said:

draft with no solid answer at right or left tackle, no #1 or even #2 receiver, and no long term QB.  They're literally putting all their eggs into this year's draft basket.  I didn't think they were going to sign the whole world, but I didn't think the plan was to fill every hole with 2024 rookies either.

They haven't completed FA spending , I hope.

They need one FA OT,  the other spots are for drafted rookie. @Soko  has mention possibilities if healthy will work.

WR is the least of my worries in FA market. MOF none are worth the money, even trades. Remember this is a 4/5  year rebuild and 2024 is just practice for the players we draft this year.

They need in this draft basically 3 positions. QB,OT,WR.  No fans knows if these QB's are any good, pure guess. I'm exception !!!!!!

Also draft Bucky's know crap.  See their mocks over the yrs.

Lets say the Pats scouts don't like the QBs in this draft at 3. This is a perfect draft to fill major needs and gain draft choices for a 2025 QB.  This draft is perfect for OTs and WRs.   MY guess is you can  (multiple )trades down into the 15-20 range and still come out with a (starting) quality OT, WR. 

Remember 2024 is practice. Trades brings you a boat load of assets for 2024 and 2025. In 2025 you have the picks to go after any QB.

OT/WR  in this draft  trading 15-20 down. OT choices  JC Latham, Troy Fautanu, Amarius Mims, Tyler Guyton, Taliese Fuaga.

WR ( based on mocks you can trade down again  20- 25 ) choices  Brian Thomas Jr.,Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey, Xavier Worthy, Keon Coleman, Xavier Legette

2025 you could end up with 3 1st rd picks with the trades.  You call the Panthers for their number 1 pick,  1st overall

2025 and get your QB!!!!!!!  QB choices Shedeur Sanders, Quinn Ewers. Only QB I know. 

Walk out of this draft with

JC Latham

Kingsley Suamataia

Ladd McConkey

Keon Coleman

Jimmy Johnson style !!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

Great day today, yes yes yes!!!!!!! No more talk about the Pats getting that stiff Justin Fields !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank the football Gods   🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by m haynes