2024 Off-Season Official Visits/Rumors/Reports

Anyone else extremely disappointed with the designation of Duggar and the willingness to let Onwenu test the market.  The O-line as a unit is dramatically holding this team back, to the point where a lot of people see it pointless to draft a QB until we invest significant resources into the trenches.  Knowing all that, the lack of impact lineman in free agency and the fact that we have multiple needs outside of online to address in the draft, the Pat's are still willing to watch their best guard walk out the door.  I'm not sure what the answer is but it feels like even if the Patriots decided to draft Joe Alt this year, we would go into next off-season with o-line still being a priority.

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Not really disappointed. I don’t care for Dugger much and Onwenu is a little overpriced I think so what they did is fine to me. 

I think most players you pursue outside the draft are going to overpaid, especially this year.  It's not that I think Onwenu is the best guard in the league, but it feels like we started the off-season by taking a step back at a place that was already disastrous. 

Do you think that they feel more optimistic than fans do about the growth of guys like Sow?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

I think most players you pursue outside the draft are going to overpaid, especially this year.  It's not that I think Onwenu is the best guard in the league, but it feels like we started the off-season by taking a step back at a place that was already disastrous. 

Do you think that they feel more optimistic than fans do about the growth of guys like Sow?

I do think that sow is someone they look at as at the very least their top guard reserve who can swing to both sides and even in emergency situations be an extra tackle. I would rather the money that they spent on onwenu and dugger be spent on Christian Wilkins and Baker Mayfield. This free agent class has plenty of starting caliber short term solutions at positions of need for the patriots.

David Edwards

Cornelius Lucas

Tyron Smith

Kevin zeitler

Ronnie Stanley, potentially via trade. Same goes for Morgan Moses.

Brian Allen

Jonah Williams

All of those guys immediately come to mind, just on the offensive lineand there are more options to, including onwenu.

Bryson Hopkins

Harrison Bryant

Hunter Henry

Pharoh Brown

Austin Hooper

mycole pruitt

Will dissly

Noah Fant

And again, there are still more options. Those are just the top ones that come to mind as fits.

Running back, there are a plethora of names that don’t even need to be mentioned. Not that it is a position of major need for upgrade.

We all know, a bunch of the names at receiver, but here are some others:

Gabe Davis

Juaun Jennings

Brandon Powell

Calvin Ridley

Odell Beckham jr

Josh Reynolds

Tyler Boyd

And so on and so on, there are so many other bargain bin receivers that are actually decent value and under appreciated talent at this point.

Jacoby Brissett

Baker Mayfield

Joe Flacco

Tyler Huntley

Russell Wilson

Gardner minshew

Drew lock

Again, all guys were signing that can be decent starters to varying degrees for different lengths of time.

And then, looking at the draft, with all of the highly rated and oversaturated positions of need for the patriots, such as receiver, offensive tackle, and quarterback is even deep this year, I just find it hard to believe that they can’t improve tremendously, even if they don’t do it optimally

Edited by DoleINGout

11 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Anyone else extremely disappointed with the designation of Duggar and the willingness to let Onwenu test the market.  The O-line as a unit is dramatically holding this team back, to the point where a lot of people see it pointless to draft a QB until we invest significant resources into the trenches.  Knowing all that, the lack of impact lineman in free agency and the fact that we have multiple needs outside of online to address in the draft, the Pat's are still willing to watch their best guard walk out the door.  I'm not sure what the answer is but it feels like even if the Patriots decided to draft Joe Alt this year, we would go into next off-season with o-line still being a priority.

What I have heard he's looking for 22+. If that the case don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Also Dugger is a waste of 13 million. Mapu is the future and that's the only thing the Pats should be looking at with this current team.  S Barkley is rumored??? No way in heck do I look at him and waste money on a old man NFL RB.

This is at least a 3/4 year project.

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/report-patriots-eliot-wolf-stockpile-2024-nfl-draft-picks/592498/?amp=1

Seems like there maye be a desire to add picks by trading down. This would be ideal imo

I have watch tons of tape on Maye and Daniels. In my opinion they are not elite QB's and they have a lot of question marks in their games. I was a big fan of Danials but that has changed. Highlights than looked at game film.  He late, long motion and arm strength, big negatives. He can thanks his WRs for his popularity .

Comparing Maye to Allen is a joke. Young Allan problems ego no fear dumb plays, wild. The big difference,  Maye panics, fear factors into his game.

So if you going to gamble on a QB do it later inn the draft. Take your pick Bo, JJ , Penex, Rattler.

A lot of people haven't agreed with me on this, but the primary reason I think that the Patriots will take Maye or Daniels at #3 is that oddly enough, I think it's a far "safer" pick to make in a lot of ways.  Hear me out.  

When I say "safer" I don't mean that I believe that Maye has a better chance of NFL success than say MHJ or Joe Alt might.  What I mean is that, from the stand point of Elliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo, if they choose to pass on Maye and Daniels and go an alternate route, then they are almost risking more in terms of their careers if Maye or Daniels actually do end up hitting.  

For example, if the Pat's trade the pick, move back, draft a tackle like Alt and pick up a future first, then great!  A lot of people probably perfer that route, and maybe in the end it ends up being a smart deal.  But if the team that moves up to grab Maye ends up turning him into a superstar type talent, then even if Joe Alt becomes a 10 year LT for your team, that's still a decision that could cost people there jobs.  Can you imagine how many heads rolled in Chicago when the Bears chose Trubisky over Mahomes.

I like Maye and Daniels but I know a lot of people don't.  What I'm saying is that for the Patriots to pass on them they almost have to be 110% positive that neither of those two are capable of being "The Guy."  While draafting one of those two and having them bust would be awful for the team, there's almost a degree of safety in that selection either way. "Ya the guy didn't work out, but we needed a QB, we had the 3rd overall pick, there were QBs there that were widely seen as being worthy of that pick, so we took him."  That feels a lot easier for a GM to explain to an owner rather than "We know Maye is now Justin Herbert 2.0, and that it was our pick that ultimately vaulted another program in perennial contention, but we were just to scared of the "what ifs" at the time and decided to go the safer route." 

Taking one of those two at #3 is risky, but passing on them and having them become stars at the most important position in all of football is a fireable offense.

5 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Lol so don't take Maye or Daniels because there are too many flaws, but McCarthy, Nix, Penix and Rattler are worth a pick?

Try reading 

Its a gamble. Something I wouldn't do with the 3rd pick in the draft.

So if you going to gamble on a QB do it later in the draft. Take your pick Bo, JJ , Penex, Rattler.

Its a gamble. Something I would not do with the 3rd pick in the draft.  Also I never said I would take a QB

Every pick in the draft is a gamble.  People act like if they trade down, stock pile picks, and maybe draft a top tackle then their sure to hit nothing but home runs.  Like Joe Alt is some kind of sure fire HOFer.  What if Alt is nothing more than the next Jake Long or Eric Fisher?  OK players but certainly not worthy of their #1 overall picks.  What if he's the Next Isaih Wynn or Nate Solder?  Again Solder was solid but never played beyond his rookie deal for the Pat's.  

Everyone's terrified on take one of these QBs and seeing them bust.  What if they trade the 3rd pick to Atlanta and then Drake Maye goes on to have a 15 year career with Falcons where he makes that franchise perennial contenders?  Isn't that scenario equally as concerning?  

If there's on position I'm willing to gamble at its QB.  And with the 3rd overall pick I want them to roll the dice.

5 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Every pick in the draft is a gamble.  People act like if they trade down, stock pile picks, and maybe draft a top tackle then their sure to hit nothing but home runs.  Like Joe Alt is some kind of sure fire HOFer.  What if Alt is nothing more than the next Jake Long or Eric Fisher?  OK players but certainly not worthy of their #1 overall picks.  What if he's the Next Isaih Wynn or Nate Solder?  Again Solder was solid but never played beyond his rookie deal for the Pat's.  

Everyone's terrified on take one of these QBs and seeing them bust.  What if they trade the 3rd pick to Atlanta and then Drake Maye goes on to have a 15 year career with Falcons where he makes that franchise perennial contenders?  Isn't that scenario equally as concerning?  

If there's on position I'm willing to gamble at its QB.  And with the 3rd overall pick I want them to roll the dice.

Complete cherry pick augment.  Notice you didn't mention Trent William, Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Joe Thomas, Walter Jones, Jason Peters. You get elite LT in the TOP of the 1st RD. It is rare to find one after. History proves that.  Try naming 3 great ones after the 1st RD. You can't without looking it up.

Now lets do WR .   Your blinded by BB trade downs. There are plenty that have help teams.  I'm not going to waste my time looking but the Bears sure love the TRADE DOWN. 

WITH THE #1 pick in the draft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take trade down every time if it nets me ALT and a 2025 1st RD pick