The Stars Align (The almost perfect Dream Mock)

YogiBiz

Yeah, no Caleb Williams here. No shot Chicago actually moves that pick. Also Moore, Mooney (if retained), Kmet is a sneaky good receiving group for a rookie qb with a competent coach. I also think the Commanders trade for Justin Fields and take Harrison Jr. But more on that later. 

Lets start with the easy stuff and speed through the FA period. Using overthecap.com to get most of the numbers. Also someone check my work and see if those restructures are even legal (overthecap said they were but....).

Pre FA

Cap Space: $21,847,691

Cuts

OG Mark Glowinski (saves $5,682,353 in cap space) - This is a pretty obvious one, was not an asset to the line at all. Time to move on and save space. 

TE Darren Waller (saves $6,707,500 in cap space) - This one is kind of a weird one. I was torn between him and Slayton. However, Slayton counts for less on the cap (and only 600k more than Wallers Dead cap hit). Wasn't completely unproductive, but not worth carrying at an almost 15m cap hit. 

Restructures

LT Andrew Thomas (new cap hit $8,035,000 saves  $15,640,00 on 2024 Cap Hit) 

DL Dexter Lawrence (new cap hit $ 9,853,350 saves $12,222,426 on 2024 Cap Hit)

LB Bobby Okereke (new cap hit $6,621,666 saves $4,583,334 on 2024 Cap Hit) 

RFA/ERFA 

WR Isaiah Hodgins Original Round ($2,828,000 Cap Hit) 

DB Nick McCloud OG Round ($2,828,000 Cap Hit)

TE Lawrence Cager OG Round ($2,828,000 Cap Hit)

LB Benton Whitley ERFA Tender ($915,000 Cap Hit)

Resign - 

S Xavier McKinney 5 Yr/ $65.7M Deal $30M Guaranteed- Before we move on to next season I believe its absolutely necessary to retain McKinney. He's an elite safety and the numbers prove it. 

McKinney's coverage grades as a free safety (81.4) and in the box (79.4) are top-10 marks among safeties in 2023, and there is a big enough sample size of box play despite his general deployment as a deep player. Over the past three seasons, McKinney's 7.0 yards allowed per target in coverage ranks top-25 among safeties, and his 17 combined interceptions and forced incompletions put him in the top 20. While he could make more plays at or near the line of scrimmage, he rarely whiffs on open-field tackles. The 24-year-old has missed just 7.8% of his tackle attempts over his career, 11th-best among 89 safeties with at least 100 tackles over the past four seasons, making him a reliable enough last line of defense. Per PFF

Guys who put these kind of numbers on our defenses should be retained. The Contract is big and deserved, the guaranteed would rank him within the top 10 of all Safeties for guarantees at signing. So just pay the man. ($9,100,000 2024 Cap Hit)

DL A'Shawn Robinson 3 Yr / $21M Deal $14M Guaranteed - In the interest in not creating more holes on this team, and resigning a player who has been reliable for us. Not elite, but certainly not a bad pick up. Keep him around to sure up the front 7 and Defense. ($5,089,125 2024 Cap Hit)

Cap Space Post Roster Movement - $46,281,845

Free Agency

Not going to crazy with exact numbers here. Sorry. 

OG Robert Hunt 5 Yr/$72.89M Deal $42M Guaranteed - The Right Guard position is vacant now. Hunt happens to be the best option for guard on the market (if he hits it). An elite run blocker who has turned into a top tier pass protector, he would've made a pro bowl if he didn't get injured. He was pretty dominant this season for Miami. Throw money at the best available option who just so happens to be seamless fit with Daboll's offense. This contract would make Hunt the 8th highest paid Guard in the league ($14.578m AAV). This would also make him the guard with second highest dollar amount guaranteed at signing. ($8,746,800 2024 Cap Hit

OG Dalton Risner 4 Yr/ $35.21M Deal $15.8M Guaranteed - The Left Guard position needs stabilization too. Spending money on the o-line in free agency should tell you that I am tired of spending draft resources on the line. We've invested too much there. Lets just take someone else's established players. Risner is a really good pass blocker. Even when he looses ground on initial punches he always stabilizes and prevents from pressures from getting home. His run blocking improved too in Minnesota's attack. So throw some dollars his way. ($6,161,750 2024 Cap Hit)

CB Sean Murphy-Bunting 3 Yr / $22.41M Deal $8.96M Guaranteed - I think the Giants have found a No. 1 CB in Deonte Banks. We need to get someone opposite him who can at least be average. SMB can be that and more struggles against the run, helps in most schemes of coverage. I like the player and willing to spend a bit on a 27 YO who could still get better. He follows Shane Bowen from Tenn. ($5,602,500 2024 Cap Hit)

OT Yosh Nijman 2 Yr/ $8.2M Deal 2M Guaranteed - If Neal still struggles under a new O-Line coach, make sure we have capable insurance. Nijman has proven himself these past two years as a developmental success in Green Bay. The former undrafted FA filled in nicely at both LT & RT for the Packers over the past two seasons. If Neal cannot live up to his top 10 draft status bench him and move on. (3,445,000 2024 Cap Hit)

EDGE Jonathan Greenard 4 Yr / $54M Deal $38M Guaranteed - Azeez can't stay on the field. Greenard can. Greenard is a really good no2 pass rusher that just so happens to be good enough to make you wish paid more attention to him. He doesn't have an elite list of moves rushing the passer, but the athletic traits are really good and his hustle make him a good rusher. His ability in the running game is his greatest selling point. He's borderline elite when the ball carrier comes to his side. Good pass rusher great edge setter. Sign me up. ($9,450,000 2024 Cap Hit

2024 Cap Space Post Free Agency - $12,875,795

We could realistically cut Slayton too if we find a deal with a top flight receiver, but I think Higgins is the only guy worth doing that for on our timeline and he's getting tagged. 

The pre-draft moves were to up the success chance of who ever is behind center next year. Shoring up the line with our available money is a top priority. Number 2 is making sure our new defensive coordinator is comfortable in keeping the momentum we had towards the end of the season. Lets get drafting.

ea1ewa26oztsnfyzcci4

The Draft

R1 P6. QB Jayden Daniels - LSU Tigers - [6'3" 212lbs] - Could this get anymore obvious. While Nabbers would do wonders for any QB I end up taking, the guy is here. One of the most prolific offensive engines in college football history. Daniels loves making plays with his legs; prior to this season it was thought that he was just another run first player, but he showed he was more than capable of dominating games with his arm. He's got all the arm talent you could hope for able to laser throws to any level of the field with ease. His touch is a sight as well. He can throw with zip from nearly any angle, his throwing motion up top is quick. A good decision maker excelling in half and full field reads. This is a franchise passer through and through. His lower half can be tightened up and when it is we are going to see passes launch out of his hand. While his mechanics down low leave a bit to be desired, his footwork evading pressure in the pocket is beautiful. With his playmaking ability on the ground if Daniels can put it all together at the NFL level you're looking at perennial MVP contender. IF he's there at 6. Draft Him. If he makes it past 2 see if New England wants the kitchen sink in any negotiation but I think the like Mayes more (this is one of the best QB trios I've ever watched). 

Trade Announced

NYG send 2024 Pick #39, a 2025 2nd Round Pick, a 2025 4th Round Pick, and 3rd Round Pick in 2026 to ARI for 2024 Picks #27 and #187. 

R1 P27. WR Brian Thomas Jr. LSU Tigers - [6'4 210lbs] - Time to get aggressive. The Giants don't have a second 1st round pick, but we could all agree this team needs some 1st round receiver talent. So enter Detroit, a team without many pressing needs. We send them a bevy of capital in order to secure a potential #1 receiver, and not just any potential #1. One who spent the past two seasons catching passes from our newly drafted Franchise Signal caller. Moving ahead of the likes of Baltimore, Kansas City, Buffalo, and New England is a must if we want to secure a guy with the potential to build a receiving group around. Need a player to dominate in the RZ? Here's your guy. Need a player to take the top off the defense? Here's your guy. Need a player to dominate with his elite route running skills, always getting open? Here's. Your. Guy. A reliable hands catcher with an elite radius and skill set. Go out and get Daniels (or whoever throws passes in New York Giants' blue) this pass catcher and he will profit. 

R2 P47. DL/EDGE Darius Robinson Missouri Tigers - [6'5" 295lbs] - Elite Athletes are a sight to behold. Robinson can effortlessly generate the power needed to dominate most of his matchups. He's shown off some bend while rushing the passer as well. You can't run on him without doubling him because he rag dolls most O-Lineman he faces, in the SEC. Insanely long, and has elite traits. Could go much higher if a team just falls in love with his raw talent. Double Robinsons next to Lawrence on the D-Line would be a joy. A high floor even higher ceiling kind of player. 

R3 P70. TE Cade Stover Ohio St. Buckeyes - [6'5" 251lbs] - Size and explosiveness, make Stover look like an elite athlete. However, he lacks elite speed to be really considered a field stretcher. And I don't expect him to pull away from faster defensive backs. He does have good enough speed to be a weapon. If there is any indication that he has a really high ceiling, it's that he was recruited to play EDGE at Ohio St not TE. His hands are elite, he looks in catches with ease. Doesn't drop anything. He's so raw in terms of route running and just playing the position it's a marvel he creates any separation on his routes, you can attribute that to his athleticism. Needs a ton of refinement at the NFL level, but this is a home run swing. 

R4 Pick 107. RB Isaiah Davis South Dakota St. Jackrabbits - [6'1 220lbs] - I had to watch this guys games with a grain of salt mainly because the level of competition he was facing was pretty middling. However, I was shocked. This is a player with no huge holes in his game. Has patience to wait for lanes to open. Has the power to move through just about any tackler. The wiggle to make DBs look foolish in space. The juice to take a carry the distance from anywhere. This a feature back on NFL Sunday. This is a guy you can give 15-30 touches a game and he'll just produce. He can do it with a pass or a handoff. He's got soft hands with good hand eye coordination to catch passes. Not a good route runner, but he's got the shiftiness and savvy to get open when he lines up wide. He's got top 10 RB potential. I'll take that from a small school guy in round 4. 

R5 Pick 139. LB Marist Liufau Notre Dame Fighting Irish - [6'2" 229lbs] - Strictly a guy who can cover very well. Liufau is a really good coverage LB prospect, showcasing the speed and feel to meet many receivers at the ball if they enter his zone. He's got the hips and quickness to stay connected to just about any TE or RB in man. He's an elite tackler who rarely misses his mark. However, he is not exceptionally strong. His frame looks pretty maxed out as well, now he does handle block decently well, but stronger lineman swallow him whole. A ST contributor as well. 

R6 Pick 184. DB Kenny Logan Jr. [6" 205lbs] - A special teams ace. Logan is a ferocious and reliable tackler. He's always looking to force fumbles or incompletions while on defense. He's reliable against the run, and trending up in coverage. He's going to be a dominant gunner until he can become more reliable in coverage. 

R6 Pick 187. WR/RB/KR Ainias Smith Texas A&M Aggies - [5'9" 191lbs] - Smith is a treat to watch. He's slippery with the ball in his hands, and is just elusive. A player that was used all over the Aggies alignment over his career. He's not a great route runner, but he has explosive speed that he uses to separate down the sidelines. He's also a very good 3rd down running back showing off some impressive blocking skills. A kick returner and a playmaker in every sense of the word. If he even becomes a decent route runner this is an elite slot guy. 

Okay not doing UDFA cause I'm tired. Thanks for coming to my TedMock. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 2

I been back and forth on Waller. I think we should keep him. We should try to have something on offense and not a bare cupboard. It’s just $7M, even with his severe injury history.

I’m good with letting all the restricted free agents at that price, maybe keep mccloud. We don’t need to give Cager $3M, who played 100 snaps all season.

Ashawn doesn’t need a 3 year contract, sign him for 1.

I don’t study other teams and rosters that closely, but we will be giving a guard the second biggest contract.

Daniels isn’t slipping to 6. If one of the top 3 teams don’t select a QB, someone is trading up to 4 or 5 to get him.

I do not like that trade up either. I feel it’s too much value there.

Great work, but not a fan of it.