Rookie Quarterbacks Playing in Adverse Weather Conditions

Shylo3716

Work Hard, Play Harder  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Question of the Day: What quarterback from the top 3 projected draftees (Williams/Maye/Daniels) would be the best long-term fit for a cold weather team?

• Caleb Williams
    • Drake Maye
    • Jayden Daniels

I'd be surprised if this isn't something that comes up at least in some capacity, in the Bears discussions at Pick #1.  How seriously they'll take this, i'm not sure.

But Maye is definitely more the "prototype" of a classic "Cold/Bad Weather QB".  Caleb Williams more free wheeling, scrambling, improvisational style isn't traditionally regarded as working as well in poor conditions.  We'll see how the hand sizes and things actually measure out at the combine as well.

However, i think we've seen more recently...that this isn't even necessarily true anyway.  It might even be the opposite, where that improvisational ability can really pay off when the weather is bad and things get off schedule as a result.  We've had a lot of top "adverse weather team" QBs in recent years, who are far more in that mobile, improvisational sort of vein.

So as long as a team is confident that it's not going to lead to extra fumbling issues, health/durability issues, with his smaller size, and believe that he has the arm strength to drive the ball effectively in the wind/rain/cold/etc., i doubt it's enough of a factor to actually sway a team off of Caleb Williams.  At least, not that factor alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'd be surprised if this isn't something that comes up at least in some capacity, in the Bears discussions at Pick #1.  How seriously they'll take this, i'm not sure.

But Maye is definitely more the "prototype" of a classic "Cold/Bad Weather QB".  Caleb Williams more free wheeling, scrambling, improvisational style isn't traditionally regarded as working as well in poor conditions.  We'll see how the hand sizes and things actually measure out at the combine as well.

However, i think we've seen more recently...that this isn't even necessarily true anyway.  It might even be the opposite, where that improvisational ability can really pay off when the weather is bad and things get off schedule as a result.  We've had a lot of top "adverse weather team" QBs in recent years, who are far more in that mobile, improvisational sort of vein.

So as long as a team is confident that it's not going to lead to extra fumbling issues, health/durability issues, with his smaller size, and believe that he has the arm strength to drive the ball effectively in the wind/rain/cold/etc., i doubt it's enough of a factor to actually sway a team off of Caleb Williams.  At least, not that factor alone.

From a geographical perspective, I believe that Drake Maye could be a good fit, due to the fact that North Carolina has cold weather spurts, here and there. But then again, Caleb Williams is from D.C., so that may be a notch above the rest.

16 minutes ago, Shylo3716 said:

From a geographical perspective, I believe that Drake Maye could be a good fit, due to the fact that North Carolina has cold weather spurts, here and there. But then again, Caleb Williams is from D.C., so that may be a notch above the rest.

I'd suggest that ultimately choosing USC as the #1 recruit kind of overrides any prevailing "advantage" a guy has when it comes to their place of birth and "cold weather play".  USC is the spot you pick if you don't want to deal with trifling nuisances like "weather".  😆