2017 takeaways / 2018 plans

tttmikeb

As devoted fantasy football players, you know...the end of the season isn't just the end of the season.  It's also time to start planning for next season.  Whether your league is full redraft, keeper, or dynasty, you've no doubt had things happen in 2017 that will shape how you approach the 2018 season.  What worked?  What didn't?  What did you learn that you think will give you an advantage moving forward?

One of my biggest takeaways from 2017 isn't really a new revelation, but a greater confirmation of what I've thought for a while...WR is so deep that it's overvalued.  Don't get me wrong...there's great quality at the top, but beyond the first 2-4 guys, it's not worth being overly concerned with.  In one of my leagues, out of 7 positions (QB, WR, RB, TE, Flex, K, IDP), WR was ranked 5th last year and this year in terms of how often the winning team had the better WR score.  RB has been #1 both last year and this year.  I realize this may be different in different scoring setups, but I really believe the depth at WR allows you to be competitive at that position even with a lesser investment.

A second takeaway, and somewhat related to the first one, is that TE is worth investing a high pick in. I had Ertz this year and that was a big boost to my team.  Securing one of the top guys at a position where you only start one guy is a real difference maker.  I'll be aiming high at TE in 2018.

Another takeaway for me is that I need to take more risks.  I got burned again by A) not spending all of my money in an auction draft, and B) drafting too many "high floor" players with less upside.  I've got to learn to be more aggressive on draft day.

And finally, looking ahead to 2018, I'm done with DeVante Parker.  I've fallen for the hype too many times (including in both leagues this year).  No more.

What about you?  What are some things you've learned this year?  Or what are some plans you have for next year, or players you plan to target?

I think that Antonio Brown is the best player in fantasy. The rate that he produces against  his peers, and at the consistency he does it can’t be topped. 

Im a big believer that the cream rises to the top. Is there a player that’s very talented in a good system that looks like he will struggle with getting looks? That’s a player to target because they will very likely be discounted. I own tons of Hunt, Kamara, and JSS for that reason. 

On 1/12/2018 at 12:37 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I think that Antonio Brown is the best player in fantasy. The rate that he produces against  his peers, and at the consistency he does it can’t be topped. 

Im a big believer that the cream rises to the top. Is there a player that’s very talented in a good system that looks like he will struggle with getting looks? That’s a player to target because they will very likely be discounted. I own tons of Hunt, Kamara, and JSS for that reason. 

Fair point about A. Brown.  He's unbelievable.  

I want to agree with your second point, but I've also seen situations where a guy is praised like he's primed to break out but he never gets the opportunity.  It's hard to gauge which of these players really are that good, and which ones will actually get the chance to prove it.  But man, if you can hit on one of those, that can be huge.  Good value to be had there.

Archived