Marqise Lee injures knee UPDATE: Officially out for season

pwny

24 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

You take Lee out coz of the injury and replace him with Moncrief. We already see Moncrief's yac ability..something Lee relied on alot with his crossers.

Moncrief has had one season in his career that meets the level of play Lee had. And you’re certain he’s just going to overtake the role with no problem?

You bring back Cole and Dede with a year of experience.

Betting on going 2/2 when we’re 1/12 or thereabouts over the last decade. Great idea.

And you are looking at it from hindsight.

Arob and Hurns BOTH had down years coming into 2016. Most believe arob would turn it around, but there were questions on Hurns living up to his contract.

So... two guys who combined for 2,500 yards and 25 TDs in one season can both have a down year the very next year to where these concerns come around, but it’s preposterous to even entertain the idea that a couple of promising rookies might have down years in year two and to think there should be protection against that?

You’re taking the stance that “it worked once, it has to work again” when that’s just not reality. It might work. All these players might work out great in their roles. But there’s a lot of risk.

Am I certain? With 100%? No. Do I feel pretty confident about it? Yes. 

Tell me one thing that Lee can do that Moncrief can't. The skillset aren't too far off that I can't project how Moncrief would fit in that role.

You know what is a great idea? Not basing your opinion on irrelevant facts. What do the failures of past receivers have ANYTHING to do with our current crop, under this current WR coach, under this current OF, and HC?

Ab...so..lute..ly.

NOTHING.

The Jaguars did a great job developing Brunell, got a 1st rounder for Rob Johnson, turned Jay Fiedler into a starter, and even made Jamie Martin look serviceable backup. Also developed David Garrard into a serviceable starter.

Did that have any effect on developing Byron, Blaine, and Blake?

We have historically been awful at developing pass rushers. Guess Yann didn't get the memo.

It's not about "working once".

It's about watching the damn games, understanding the skillset of the players, and what our team asks of them.

If you do that, you should feel better about this receiving group better than you did last season coming in (certainly after arob.

Not this mumbo jumbo that is based on non relevant historical data.

And please,we all know the 2016 season was an aberration and plenty of those stats are from garbage time.

I mean, if your argument is that there's no telling if a player can dip going into the 2nd year...

Why aren't you in a fit about the lack of our running back depth?

Fournette could average 3.0 ypc. And Lord forbid he gets hurt when all we have behind him are Yeldon and Grant.

And that's an aspect of our offense that our identity is built around

On 29/08/2018 at 4:36 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You are asking to replace 800 yards and 7 TDs between those 2 guys. That's not hard to do. A-Rob didn't play last year so its not like we have to replace him from last year. ASJ can match Lewis's production easily and I'm not even sold on ASJ much at all. I know guys have to stay healthy but even so I think Greene/Mickens can fill in nicely too

Again though, still missing the point with this.  It's not about replacing ARob, it's about replacing that layer of depth he "theoretically" provided before the injury.  ie.  Lee was a #2 who became a #1.  Guys like Dede and Keelan were like #4/5/6, who moved up as injuries mounted.  These are guys who are now starting the season as #3/4 guys, who with Lee's injury are now going to be #2/3 guys basically by default.  It's about having less rungs of insulation on a WR corps that wasn't that amazing even when fully healthy.

Basically, even an ARob who got injured and barely played last year still counted as a rung on the depth chart at the very top.  Now we don't have that rung, and we're basically expecting a rookie and a duo of sophomores to outperform anything they've done before over the course of a whole season, in order to have a quality, reliable receiving corps.

10 hours ago, Speedyg said:

And please,we all know the 2016 season was an aberration and plenty of those stats are from garbage time.

I mean, if your argument is that there's no telling if a player can dip going into the 2nd year...

Fournette could average 3.0 ypc. And Lord forbid he gets hurt when all we have behind him are Yeldon and Grant.

And that's an aspect of our offense that our identity is built around

Our RB depth sucks too.

If Fournette ends up with any kind of injury or issue that costs him multiple games, we've got Yeldon as the feature back in our extremely run heavy "smash mouth" offense, with a change of pace back in Grant as the RB2.  And there's absolutely diddly squat behind them.

58 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

mean, if your argument is that there's no telling if a player can dip going into the 2nd year...

We have talked about that. We’ve also talked about how if the RBs or WRs has better depth, they could pick up the slack for the other group as the offense leaned heavier on them.

But this thread is about a WR being hurt, so we’re talking about WR depth.

Archived