would you trade bell?

3rivers

46 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I agree with this, and tomlin should reaffirm that the players aren't to talk about it anymore as it is a distraction and we need to focus on our opponent and we know Connor is the RB and very capable himself .  Next question.

Nah. If he’s asked he just needs to pull what he does pre-free agency: “I don’t talk about players that aren’t on the team.”

Just Rip off the band aid now and get out of the narrative that your team screwed up, and get it out there that he doesn’t want to be part of the team. 

Not sure how much trade value the guy has when he could (and I think would) sit out the playoffs.

If he is committed to this for the long term deal and mitigating risk, it wouldn't make sense for him to play in the playoffs for peanuts. 

Many of you will talk about being competitive and that players wont miss a chance at a title and all that..............but get serious here.  The guy will probably sit the playoffs.  Maybe even the damn super bowl if you get there.

Sorry, but he has no trade value.   A team trading for him would be in the exact same situation you are in right now.  They can't negotiate with them, and once the season is over he just goes to the highest bidder.

2 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Not sure how much trade value the guy has when he could (and I think would) sit out the playoffs.

If he is committed to this for the long term deal and mitigating risk, it wouldn't make sense for him to play in the playoffs for peanuts. 

Many of you will talk about being competitive and that players wont miss a chance at a title and all that..............but get serious here.  The guy will probably sit the playoffs.  Maybe even the damn super bowl if you get there.

Sorry, but he has no trade value.   A team trading for him would be in the exact same situation you are in right now.  They can't negotiate with them, and once the season is over he just goes to the highest bidder.

If he takes himself out no team will pay him. How do they know he won’t quit on them. 

Frankly to me, the smart money move for Bell is to sign now, make his 14.5 million, take out a HUGE insurance policy on himself, and play this year. 

Even if he were to tear his ACL he will still get a nice deal next year.  The extra 8-9 million he would earn this year plus an ACL tear contract would probably be pretty close to what he will sign for next year even if he goes through the year 100% healthy.

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

Frankly to me, the smart money move for Bell is to sign now, make his 14.5 million, take out a HUGE insurance policy on himself, and play this year. 

Even if he were to tear his ACL he will still get a nice deal next year.  The extra 8-9 million he would earn this year plus an ACL tear contract would probably be pretty close to what he will sign for next year even if he goes through the year 100% healthy.

No if he tore the ACL it’s a cheap 1 year prove it or one of those low price vesting deals. 

To be honest, I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up signing a deal very similar to what he was offered in Pittsburgh. Want to see people hate someone then. Not that I condone this, but you would see defensive players lining up to take a shot in that case. 

20 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

If he gets hurt this year his value will plummet imo.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Insurance policy, paid for by the 8 million he is leaving on the table this year.

Also, while his value WILL go down, it would take a career threatening type injury for it to completely tank.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Hell never get the big multi year guarantee too. 

Sit out a majority of his 26 age season. Miss a majority of the age 27 season and play on a prove it deal. Play his 28 age season maybe on a good deal, maybe hoping for big money. 

Let’s even say he doesn’t get hurt. High usage 27 y/o RB with me first issues, 2 drug suspensions, one complete season where he quit on the team in a playoff game with a minor injury. This guys don’t get massive deals no matter how good they are. 

5 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Insurance policy, paid for by the 8 million he is leaving on the table this year.

Also, while his value WILL go down, it would take a career threatening type injury for it to completely tank.

Most injury insurances are on a specific part (knees, ankles) and they are for career ending typically. Also so you are promoting that he basically play for free this year to pay for insurance? He doesn’t get paid for years he isn’t here. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hell never get the big multi year guarantee too. 

Sit out a majority of his 26 age season. Miss a majority of the age 27 season and play on a prove it deal. Play his 28 age season maybe on a good deal, maybe hoping for big money. 

Let’s even say he doesn’t get hurt. High usage 27 y/o RB with me first issues, 2 drug suspensions, one complete season where he quit on the team in a playoff game with a minor injury. This guys don’t get massive deals no matter how good they are. 

Is that better or worse than sitting out till week 12, then also sitting out the playoffs?

Just now, warfelg said:

Most injury insurances are on a specific part (knees, ankles) and they are for career ending typically. Also so you are promoting that he basically play for free this year to pay for insurance? He doesn’t get paid for years he isn’t here. 

Not sure a policy would cost him 8 million. 

He is going to have to get an insurance policy for the last 6 weeks of the year anyway, paid for by that money.  If he plays all year the policy would cost a bit more, and he can be insured for whatever he and the insurance company agree upon.

Archived