Artifact

showtime

DX0ULrsVwAIHSzp.jpg

Artifact is a digital card game developed and published by Valve and designed by the legendary Richard Garfield.  The game is based off of Dota 2 lore and is set the Dota universe.  The game features three different boards (or lanes) that are played on simultaneously.  This is the first digital card game (from my knowledge) that allows selling and trading via other players.  The game has gotten criticized by some for being too complex and for it's monetization model. 

I held off making a thread for this game because I don't think there are many digital card game players here, but now that the game has been out for a few days I figured I might as well make the thread.  Is anyone here playing?  Does anyone have any interest in the game? 

MTGO had a huge second hand market but you couldn't trade actual money with players, only the in game currency. Not sure if Artifact is the same, I imagine it is. The new MTGA doesn't allow trading IIRC. 

Artifact definitely has my attention but I think if I were to invest in another digital card game, I'd choose MTGA over Artifact at the moment. 

18 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

MTGO had a huge second hand market but you couldn't trade actual money with players, only the in game currency. Not sure if Artifact is the same, I imagine it is. The new MTGA doesn't allow trading IIRC. 

Artifact definitely has my attention but I think if I were to invest in another digital card game, I'd choose MTGA over Artifact at the moment. 

I'm not familiar with Magic.  In Artifact, you can sell cards on the Steam market place and you can use that money to buy anything else on Steam.  There is no trading in terms of I give you 2 cards for 2 cards, for example.  I think the reason that isn't in the game is because then 3rd party websites would exist and people would trade there, which has problems.  So in Artifact you can buy and sell your cards to real users via the market place, which is all under Valve's umbrella. 

I currently play Hearthstone and Artifact as my two card games.  I have so much love and respect for Blizzard and Valve that I'm willing to play both games, but I won't even consider another card game no matter how good it is because these games can be hard to keep up with.  I pretty much buy anything that Blizzard or Valve develop just because I know it'll be a quality game.

Archived