Moretti's Feb Draft

moretti19

7 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The only thing I really don't like is the Cody Ford pick. You need to get instant return from 12 overall, and you have us drafting a future RT? I guess he could play guard a year, but is playing a guy outside his natural position worth it? He already needs to fix his stance to play in the NFL at RT and now he'd be learning a new position on top of it. I know tackle is an important position, but there are guys who can play non blind side tackle who get taken late 1-3 every year.  I'm not super high on Thornhill, but I get the pick (safety with real range, something we don't' have, if he fell to the third I'd love it, second is a little rich).

With  that  said, solid draft/offseason. 

His stance does need work but if we can plug him instantly at Guard with Bulaga at tackle. Imagine the running lanes they could create.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, moretti19 said:

No I didn’t. I think after the combine Ferrell will slide. Many scouts have Ford as top 2 or 3 tackle. He will slide in and give us a dominate right side with Bulaga and can backup both tackle positions.

I don’t think the 2nd or 3rd tackle taken will not be at 12 but much later. 

20 hours ago, moretti19 said:

His stance does need work but if we can plug him instantly at Guard with Bulaga at tackle. Imagine the running lanes they could create.

This brings up the second part of my post in that a switch to guard would require Ford learning a new position. We’ve seen the pack have success moving tackles to guard, but pretty much all of them had a redshirt season(s)  before they were starting (Sitton, Lang, Taylor). The ones we tried year 1 at G were trash (Sherrod, Spriggs... who also had high pedigree). It isn’t madden where guys just switch easy. I’m not a ford expert, but I doubt he’s been asked to pull or trap as much. As a 5.3 guy, you could also argue he might not have to mobily to pick up G easy. 

If we took Ford, I’d want a trade down to 25 with us picking up a second +

Archived