Jaguars re-sign AJ Cann to 3 yr, 15M deal

.Buzz

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think that's the real question though.  Like, i'm fine with AJ Cann as the starting RG.  He's...fine, mostly.  At a position you'd pick to hide your worst OLineman if you could.  But is he $4M better than Omameh?  I'm not even totally sure he's particularly better.

And with the way this contract appears to be structured...it's 2 years kinda locked in for better or worse.  $5M is a lot to pay a backup RG if they eventually do replace Cann.  Good depth is never a bad thing...but expensive depth tends to mean less depth overall.  Which is kinda bad.

This is also a factor though.  Parnell really did stink things up last year.  Though even that, is a bit of a question whether it's just father time catching up with him...or our whole line completely crumbling into dust and backups of backups with zero even slightly viable LTs on the roster after Cam and Wells went down.  That's gonna make your whole line look bad.

Parnell really didn't have a good 2017 season...especially towards the end. But (i don't recall if it was Oesher or Lags or whoever) they mentioned he was banged up and nursing some injuries and attributed his play to that. Obviously, nagging injuries + age are never a good thing, and it seemed those two might have went into a collision course last season.

1 minute ago, Speedyg said:

Parnell really didn't have a good 2017 season...especially towards the end. But (i don't recall if it was Oesher or Lags or whoever) they mentioned he was banged up and nursing some injuries and attributed his play to that. Obviously, nagging injuries + age are never a good thing, and it seemed those two might have went into a collision course last season.

Parnell has battled injury problems pretty much every year since being here as far as I can remember. He's stuck it out which was awesome of him, but it's usually quite evident he's not healthy every year as each game had passed.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Parnell has battled injury problems pretty much every year since being here as far as I can remember. He's stuck it out which was awesome of him, but it's usually quite evident he's not healthy every year as each game had passed.

He certainly looked pretty wounded for a lot of last year.  It can be tough when a huge clunky mover lineman gets into their 30s though, to discern if that's "playing hurt - will recover with rest" vs "done, never the same again".  The poor play across the revolving door line around him didn't help either, i'm sure.  But i'm kinda inclined to think it looked more like the latter.  There's often just not much room for falloff athletically with guys like that.

Archived