Must Watch Montgomery Video

dll2000

So I wasn’t a huge fan of Montgomery pick.  My concern with him is/was primarily lack of speed on tape.  But I didn’t hate it either, because he runs hard, finishes strong, he is elusive and he showed good hands.

I wanted the TE Houston took ... Warring ... and felt like we could wait and get Justice Hill. 

But since the pick I learned why Pace like him so much.  A lot of it can be heard in this video which is best one I watched.  Much better than one Bears made IMO in meet the rookies.

Montgomery is a guy you want on your football team.  He loved being a Boy Scout (after hating it).  He is driven beyond belief.  He worked out until he vomited often in high school. In college instead of partying and chasing girls like a normal human he is working out all night.  They lock him out and he sneaks or breaks in.  This is info you don’t get watching tape. This is value of having scouts that can go and talk to coaches, etc.  

Iowa State was only team that offered and they were late in process.  

A. Miller is like this too.  Obviously Pace is targeting these types.  These guys aren’t Randy Moss, Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson. They lack natural freakish ability, but they will kill themselves to squeeze every ounce of potential they have to succeed.  Now to me you still want Moss, Sanders and Jackson, but having these guys around means something to a team and they are typically a lot cheaper and a lot less of a headache. 

Any way here it is:

• Like 1

Pace's formula as much as anything seems to be finding good football players who love the game and are very happy to have become Chicago Bears.  You can hear that nearly every time one of them speaks to the media.  They like Matt Nagy and they like playing in Chicago.

If we go back 40 years to the roots of the '80s team this is the same thing Jim Finks did as he built that team and Jerry Vainisi who followed him.  A lot of those guys weren't high draft picks.  There were a few UDFA like McKinnon and Hilgenberg and some like McMichael, Emery Moorehead, and Gary Fencik were signed off waivers.  But they were smart football players who loved playing for the Bears.

I've been complaining for years all the way back to the Angelo era that we often placed other factors over football smarts and sheer drive to succeed when we drafted and signed players.  Pace seems to have reversed that trend and found a very good collection of very good to great football players.  I like that.

Edited by soulman

19 hours ago, soulman said:

Pace's formula as much as anything seems to be finding good football players who love the game and are very happy to have become Chicago Bears.  You can hear that nearly every time one of them speaks to the media.  They like Matt Nagy and they like playing in Chicago.

If we go back 40 years to the roots of the '80s team this is the same thing Jim Finks did as he built that team and Jerry Vainisi who followed him.  A lot of those guys weren't high draft picks.  There were a few UDFA like McKinnon and Hilgenberg and some like McMichael, Emery Moorehead, and Gary Fencik were signed off waivers.  But they were smart football players who loved playing for the Bears.

I've been complaining for years all the way back to the Angelo era that we often placed other factors over football smarts and sheer drive to succeed when we drafted and signed players.  Pace seems to have reversed that trend and found a very good collection of very good to great football players.  I like that.

Personality traits are very important to Pace and I applaud that.

Chemistry in football is bigger than any other sport as teamwork in football is more important than any other sport.  

Having the right kind of guys makes life for a coach so much better.  

• Like 1