TIL: Lurie is the longest continuous Eagles owner

Phire

Lurie has owned the Eagles longer than anybody since the franchise's inception in 1933.

He bought the team from Norman Braman for $185 million in 1994. According to Forbes Magazine, the franchise's value had grown to $2.5 billion in 2016.

Since 1994, the Eagles have the sixth-best record in the NFL and second-best record in the NFC at 200-166-2. They also have the ninth-most playoff wins.

But 13 other franchises have won Super Bowls during that span, including the Giants twice and the Cowboys once out of the NFC East.

Lurie said Thursday his passion to lead an NFL franchise has never waned but is stronger now than in previous years.

“You know, it’s a good question," he said. "It’s never ebbed. I’m obsessed. Literally obsessed. But when you have a young quarterback, the excitement level [is higher].

"I remember the first 10 years with Donovan (McNabb) and now the second year with Carson (Wentz). You’re on a level of excitement that even exceeds normal, and for me that's very hard, because I’m obsessed with this thing.

“It’s incredibly exciting to have potentially a very good young quarterback and what that does for the entire team and organization and your upside. Your upside is unlimited when you have that."

TIL? What is this Reddit? lol

No, but seriously it just goes to show the Eagles really haven't had a long time owner.

The next longest tenures after Lurie's 23 years (going on 24 years) is 14 and 16 years.

Anyways, who cares? Help bring us a Super Bowl soon or sell the team, Jeffery!

51 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

No, but seriously it just goes to show the Eagles really haven't had a long time owner.

This is what surprises me the most, but I suppose NFL franchises didn't quite have the value they have now. 

Archived