Giving an early 2020 offseason a shot.

MikeT14

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well then it’s not the same deal maybe we get Olsen for only $5 mil but I have to expect playoff teams will offer him that much to play too and we won’t get him.

If another team is willing to pay him more, let them. I have a set price and length I'm willing to give this 34 year old TE. 

20 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What about Ioanidis?

I don’t understand why you are ok with making the strongest part of our team - the DL - weaker. On defense we need to continue to build around our DL. It’s something most in the forum have clamored for 15 years plus.

And, truthfully as a Redskins fan I remember wanting a chance at a DL like this since 1993 but we kept trading or and overpaying DTs (Stubbifield, Dan Wilkerson, Gilbert, Haynesworth) instead of acquiring more DEs - the true playmakers on the DL in either a 4-3 or 3-4. Yeah, we signed Bruce Smith when he was near 40 and Andre Carter who had one great year in 5 as a Redskin. That positon didn’t get true pro bowl young talent until we drafted Orakpo in 09 and then Kerrigan two years later in 2011. That was a decade and a half after our DEs were intrical in helping us get to the playoffs and win Super Bowls in the 80s and early 90s.

We can use all 3 of our DTs. We should keep all three of them. They can split up the playing time between the 3 DTs like they have since they drafted Payne two years ago - remember we played in the nickel (4-2-5) all decade we were in the 3/4,  2/3 of the game anyway. 

And, everyone should know that we can play Jon Allen in a Daniels/Wynn type role Like the 49ers did with the 6’7 290 pound big and strong but not agile Erik Armstead this year. We can use Allen in that role on run downs as a strong side 4-3 LDE. I would 100% start Allen at LDE, Payne at NT, Ioannidis at UT and Young (if Drafted) or Sweat at RDE on run downs. That will be about 1/3 of the game.

Then, 2/3 of the game Allen is rotating with Ioannidis and Payne at the DT positions as we will be in a 4-2-5 40 to 50% of that 2/3 of the game. The final 15-20% we are in a 4-3 with two of our lighter DEs in the game Kerrigan/Sweat or Young.

We can have a fresh and dominant DL all game long. I can’t wait for this, it’s been a dream of mine for 27 years.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

If another team is willing to pay him more, let them. I have a set price and length I'm willing to give this 34 year old TE. 

I agree, but it depends on how much more for me. If it’s 1 or 2 million more then $7 million for one year then I’d match it, if Olsen is getting offered a contract like $10 million then I’d pass.

You weren’t around four years ago, but we went through these conversations with the former NY Giants, then Colts and now Raiders NT Jonathan Hankins for two offseaons in a row.

He left the Giants to be the 3-4 NT for the Colts on a big contract, the debate was to over pay a little for one of the most important positions in a 3-4 or continue to go with jags like Ziggy Hood at NT 1/3 of the game on run downs when we had 3 DL.

Bruce Allen didn’t want to pay for a FA who was at market or a little bit above so we got stuck with a jag starting at NT for two straight seasons in 2016 and 2017 and proceeded to have an awful run defense bc we had a guy the size of a 3-4 DE (6’3, 300) getting abused when he was double teamed in the run game instead of having a 6’3, 325 pound run stuffer like Haskins who surprisingly had sweet feet enough to get some pressure on the QB at the size and could push the pocket.

Sometime you should pay an extra $1 million or 2 per year for a player if that player is that important to your success.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m asking questions on how to make the team better. Sometimes that takes sacrifice. 

I get it but let’s sacrifice Kerrigan instead of at worst our 2nd best DL and who looks like our next leader on defense who is only just turned 25 this January.

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I agree, but it depends on how much more for me. If it’s 1 or 2 million more then $7 million for one year then I’d match it, if Olsen is getting offered a contract like $10 million then I’d pass.

You weren’t around four years ago, but we went through these conversations with the former NY Giants, then Colts and now Raiders NT Jonathan Hankins for two offseaons in a row.

He left the Giants to be the 3-4 NT for the Colts on a big contract, the debate was to over pay a little for one of the most important positions in a 3-4 or continue to go with jags like Ziggy Hood at NT 1/3 of the game on run downs when we had 3 DL.

Bruce Allen didn’t want to pay for a FA who was at market or a little bit above so we got stuck with a jag starting at NT for two straight seasons in 2016 and 2017 and proceeded to have an awful run defense bc we had a guy the size of a 3-4 DE (6’3, 300) getting abused when he was double teamed in the run game instead of having a 6’3, 325 pound run stuffer like Haskins who surprisingly had sweet feet enough to get some pressure on the QB at the size and could push the pocket.

Sometime you should pay an extra $1 million or 2 per year for a player if that player is that important to your success.

I'd give that extra money to someone else. As said I have a set price nothing pass 7 million for the 34 maybe 35 year old Greg Olsen. 

That other 1-2 million can go to a guy like Anderson if he remains productive in the 4-3 switch or a younger TE they might go after. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

I'd give that extra money to someone else. As said I have a set price nothing pass 7 million for the 34 maybe 35 year old Greg Olsen. 

That other 1-2 million can go to a guy like Anderson if he remains productive in the 4-3 switch or a younger TE they might go after. 

But $1 or $2 million spent on another player on free agency is a back up player/fringe starter. It’s more important to have a reliable TE for Haskins’ development and to help Sprinkle, Henteges or a TE we draft to help them develop. Olsen is also a good blocker so that helps Peterson, Guice and Love in the run game too and if that is successful it also helps Haskins be successful.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

But $1 or $2 million spent on another player on free agency is a back up player/fringe starter. It’s more important to have a reliable TE for Haskins’ development and to help Sprinkle, Henteges or a TE we draft to help them develop. Olsen is also a good blocker so that helps Peterson, Guice and Love in the run game too and if that is successful it also helps Haskins be successful.

True but I'd prefer to find a youger guy cheaper than Olsen if the price is too high. Past 7 million is too high for me.