RIP Willie Wood

Pugger

A few tidbits that I remember from the many books and articles I've read over the years: 

A man who overcame to be the first at so many things, was tragically also among the first wave of men who struggled mightily due to the NFL's lack of support for aging players suffering from the rigors of the game. Went undrafted back when the draft was 20 rounds but Lombardi gave him a tryout after Wood sent a hand written letter to every NFL team. One of the best tacklers .... ever. He could catch kickoffs one handed in his prime, but had to be reminded every 10 minutes how to spell his name during autograph sessions later in life. He often had to be reminded that he wasn't at training camp at St. Norberts, and memories such as his famous game changing interception in Super Bowl I were long erased. Friends and teammates managed to keep him afloat when he was about to lose his house. At one event, former teammates opened a bottle of wine and tried to reminisce about old times to jog Wood's memory. Struggling, Wood told a close friend how desperately he just wanted to go home. Tragic 

RIP WW

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 4

I remember watching him play on TV during the 1960's.  He was a very solid player...assignment sure....great tackler.  Was a quarterback in college and used that experience in the NFL as a safety to quickly diagnose and anticipate plays.  Great person...respected by all his teammates and fans.  Losing him and others from those great teams in the 60's is tough for me.  One of the reasons why the NFL is as popular as it is today and why I grew to love the game and the team. Wished the NFL did more to help these guys.  They did not know the true potential long term dangers that playing the game could present.  Hope they rectify that with the next contract with the players.

Edited by minnypackerfan