Calvin Johnson .... possible comeback?

theuntouchable

Is he coming back?

“It’s a little disappointing,” Wood said in Monday’s interview with Frank Beckmann. “I kind of align myself with what Jim Caldwell said a couple weeks ago, that I think it will all work out. Calvin, interestingly, texted me a couple weeks ago, so we’ve exchanged a few text messages recently. They were very cordial. I won’t get into what they were about, but they were professional. I did invite him out to training camp. We’ll see if he does that. Hopefully he shows up. He’s a great player, we want to have him kind of in the tent, not outside the tent. And hopefully that’s the way it ends up.”

It would be nice to see them put whatever bad blood there is behind the scenes to rest. If he comes out during camp and does that, then great. If we're talking about him coming back to play on the Lions then it just won't be happening. There's no chance he comes back to play unless it was for a contender, and considering the circumstances right now that's a pretty big stretch. 

• 4 weeks later...

If he is to play again then the Lions can not just simply release him.  The Lions would need to work out a trade for whatever team wants him.  I think that he still has good football left in him but not for Detroit.  He wants to chase a ring and that is fine.  Players who can't lead a team to a title end up chasing one and that is cool but the Lions can't simply just give in and allow him to get what he wants.  Whatever team wants him is going to have to pony up and I don't mean a sixth rounder or something like that.   I hope that he comes back and continues his path to the Hall but I just want everything done civilly.  I don't like to hear a former player bashing their former team.  It's unbecoming and shows a lack of class.  I know CJ isn't a classless man but he might need a publicist to help him put statements together.  I wish all the best for CJ and I hope that the Lions and CJ and another team can work out a deal and be completely professional about it. 

If Calvin were to decide he wanted to come back and play for the Lions, I'd welcome him back with open arms. 

If Calvin wanted to come back to the NFL but with another team, I'd support the Lions trading away his contract to a contending team. 

However, I dont think Calvin will play another down in the NFL and I hope he and the Lions can squash this feud. 

Archived