Eli's past couple years + HOF effect

tonyto36

23 hours ago, lancerman said:

Being the second best QB of a draft class means nothing. The 2nd best QB of most draft classes isn't going to get in. The best QB of most draft classes isn't going to get in. Ben's the only lock from that draft class and among the peers he's consistently compared to, he's second tier and probably not first ballot. Eli's only getting mentioned because Wes Welker dropped pass and/or Asante Samuels dropped an interception, and/or David Tyree made an amazing catch. One of those 3 doesn't happen and we don't even have the discussion and Ben's the only one getting in and he's not first ballot. 

River's has no chance unless he magically wins a Super Bowl in the next year. And the irony is all that would do is likely not get him in, and then make more of a case against Eli for letting him in for one more Super Bowl while not being nearly as good a QB as Rivers. Which would likely keep them both out. 

The reality is everyone knows Eli really doesn't deserve it and we are all going by some antiquated stance that only one QB with terrible stats didn't get in with multiple Super Bowls. Anybody whose watched his career knows he was never close to being one of the best QB's in the league. He's never even been top 5. I think every QB in the Hall can say that at one point or another in at least one season they were a minimum top 3 at their position. Eli lowers the bar. 

Since Warren Moon and Dan Fouts were first ballot HOF selections, Ben should also be as well. I don't think he should be penalized for playing during the same era in the AFC with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. The Steelers were vastly more successful than the Oilers and Chargers, and Ben was the major reason why. My prediction will be Big Ben first ballot, Eli Manning a few years after his retirement, and it will take Rivers several years to reach Canton. 

Archived