Primetime TV: should we just burn it all down and start over again?

y*so*blu

Primetime TV: should we just burn it all down and start over again?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. (see title)

• Yes; these programs suck. Put the torch to 'em.
    • I think a few controlled burns would do the job.
    • No, I think current primetime TV is just fine.

To quote Red Green, "people say you shouldn't generalize ... but, it's something I really enjoy."

Maybe it's always been this bad and I just didn't notice until the last few years? Hard to say. Every time I'm in the break room at work there's one of these programs on the TV. A contrived crime show, an unfunny overwritten sitcom, or a preachy drama. Lines sound like they were written by aliens, lighting is deliberately poor in order to make things look serious and edgy, and this HD thing has gone so far that it looks more "real" than reality and has plunged into an uncanny valley. Everything's too clean.

It's just one guy's opinion but if it were up to me I'd cancel every one of these shows and redo primetime from the ground up. I'd rather undergo Chinese water torture than see any more of Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. The Simpsons keeled over in the early 2000s, I never liked Family Guy anyway, NCIS and Law and Order have been on ten years too long ... there's nothing of real value to lose anymore, so let's just axe everything.

Instead let's have a lineup of new shows that actually feel new, look real, feature actors who know how to be and not just perform in environments that look natural, and entertain the viewer instead of telling them what to think and feel. Then maybe some of the people who abandoned network TV years ago will tune in again for something other than football.

Rant over. :P Do you think primetime could stand to improve, and if so how would you change it? Hasta luego.

Edited by y*so*blu

Realistically, what is the slate currently?

NBC:

Monday:

The Voice

Songland

Tuesday:

Ellen's Game of Games

New Amsterdam

Corona Virus News Weekly Show

Wednesday:

Chicago Fire

Chicago Med

Chicago PD

Thursday: 

Superstore

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Will and Grace 

Indebted

Law and Order SVU

Friday:

The Blacklist

The Blacklist

Dateline 

Saturday:

One World: Together at Home

Saturday Night Live

Sunday:

The Wall

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

Good Girls

Thoughts: NBC has a very strong Thursday night lineup. Superstore is a good enough sit com. Brooklyn Nine-Nine isn't what it was at it's peak, but it still holds it's own. Law and Order SVU is still a staple.

The Blacklist is a fine filler procedural show to fill those Friday hours. It's mediocre, but nothing offensive. 

Saturday Night Live has been pretty good the last few seasons. 

Sunday to Wednesday is a trainwreck.

ABC

Monday:

The Bachelor

The Baker and the Beauty

Tuesday: 

The Conners

Bless this Mess

Mixedish

Blackish

For Life

Wednesday:

The Goldbers

Schooled

American Housewife

Single Parents

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

Thursday:

Disney Family SingAlong

Station 19

How to Get Away with Murder

Friday:

Shark Tank

20/20

Saturday: 

Shark Tank

American Idol

Sunday:

America's Funniest Home Videos

American Idol

The Rookie

Thoughts: The Rookie is the only thing watchable on this channel, and I even find myself hating that more often than I like it. ABC has a very specific demographic in mind with this crap, and it's not the demographic that posts on football forums.