From Payton's Perspective

whodatworm23

After spending most of my spare time "Payton Hate'n" recently, something donned on me and thats that I likely have a better chance being named the next Saints GM than Payton does of getting outright fired by Benson with over 20 million left on his contract.

However as I was wollowing in mysery thinking of yet another season under Payton another thing hit me... Whats the odds that Payton might want out of New Orleans as much as I want him out?

Looking at things from Payton's perspective it would make complete sense to hightail it outta town if the right opperrunity (any opportunity) presented itself.

Reguardless if Payton acrually feels his scouting dept has made strides recently, he still is looking down the gunbarrel of another losing season and a 39 year old quarterback who is basically a free agent that will be asking for 27+ million annually and has a diminishing arm strength issue. Compounded by the fact that there is no air apparent behind him ready to step in. Its still very unclear if managment wants Brees back or if Brees will even want to be back.

Outside of Brees, Payton does have a few talented young players on his offense but nothing he couldn't rebuild elsewhere if in fact he did decide to start fresh.

On defense... Well lets be honest theres Cam Jordan, Sheldon Rankins and Marshon Lattimore and thats about it. Sean Payton knows better than anyone that its clear by now that this unit cannot be rebuilt properly without a total team reconstruction that would take getting worse to get better... Is he up for that?

Payton is 54, much like Drew Brees he realizes most NFL coaches burn out beyond 60 so his clock is ticking as well.

Then you look around the NFC South division and you see 3 teams with young franchise quarterbacks already in place supported by young fast atletic defenses and eletric offensive playmakers such as Juilo Jones, Mike Evans and Christian McCaffary. The Falcons, Bucs and Panthers are only getting better and they are way ahead of us in terms of progrrssive youth and talent.

If we see this, Payton has too as well. Could Payton return in 2018 after a poor year in 2017? Sure but he'd undoubtedly would be in a "lame duck" situation with an inevitable firing at the end if he cant take this fractured franchise back to the playoffs. He'd already be down a valuable asset to assist his efforts as the 49ers own our 2nd round pick in 2018 due to the Alvin Kamara trade.

Then there is the fact that while many close to the city continue to support Payton, majority of the fan base has grown restless with his micro managing and meddling ways. There sick of the excuses year in and year out and completely understand that a complete team and roster rebuild is in order.

The more and more I think about it, the more I can't see Sean Payton wanting to stay here beyond this season.

The question would be where would he go?

Well the Colts were highly intrested in Payton a couple years ago but a deal fell through because the Saints were asking for too much compenaation in return... That wouldnt be the case this year and guess what, the Colts will be in the market for a head coach in 2018.

What about the Texans? Could you imagine a Payton and Brees pairing on that team with that defense and that reciever (Hopkins)? Rumor is that Texans HC Bill O'Brian is on his way out as he and ownership dont see eye to eye.

There is also the Jets. Likely to have a top 2 pick with 2 strong QB's to choose from as well as Jimmy G entering free agency. New York would likley love to get their hands on a offensive mind like Payton to help groom their future young franchise QB.

Then their is Payton's former team and hometown Chicago Bears. Former Mickey Loomis protege Ryan Pace would be ecstatic to get his hands on Payton in order to develop his young franchise quarterback Mitch Trubisky as his job security is directly tied to Trubiskys success.

As I think about this outloud the more I realize that Payton has more reasons to want to leave than we as fans might have to want to run him out of town and the truth is that Payton likley would have multipule options with better situations than he currently has particularly when considering his future.

Time will tell if everyone can get what they want in the end.

WHODAT

Love the post.

I think the Saints would be an appetizing job, too, for the guy who wants to commit to 3 seasons of building a new QB, and revamping the defense.

I'm not certain that we don't have good defensive players. I am; however, certain that our defensive coaches don't understand how to coach and build the defense, as we've all talked about.

You cannot convince me for one minute that we've had this much of a lack of talent for this long. Cam Jordan is our ONLY defensive player who's sniffed a pro bowl. That's bad.

I love the idea of Payton wanting out. I'd give a month's wages to be the one to show him the door. I like what the guy did for our team, at first. Now it's like a bad marriage, started out great, and then 10 years later the old & fat sets in and both sides are disinterested (quoting a friend, of course).

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Love the post.

I think the Saints would be an appetizing job, too, for the guy who wants to commit to 3 seasons of building a new QB, and revamping the defense.

I'm not certain that we don't have good defensive players. I am; however, certain that our defensive coaches don't understand how to coach and build the defense, as we've all talked about.

You cannot convince me for one minute that we've had this much of a lack of talent for this long. Cam Jordan is our ONLY defensive player who's sniffed a pro bowl. That's bad.

I love the idea of Payton wanting out. I'd give a month's wages to be the one to show him the door. I like what the guy did for our team, at first. Now it's like a bad marriage, started out great, and then 10 years later the old & fat sets in and both sides are disinterested (quoting a friend, of course).

Agreed

I think there is talent on this defense but its just mismanaged. I also feel somewhat for these defensive coaches to a point because their simply here trying to make Sean Payton's idea of defense a reality... 2 DC's have failed already at this and Allen is soon to be the 3rd (hell he already is).

Archived