2020 Roster Rules Changes

kingseanjohn

I took this from the gen forum. Pretty interesting changes that will affect the 53 I think.

Though the roster limit will continue to be 53 for 2020, two players from the practice squad may be brought up to increase roster sizes to 55 on gameday, with those two players reverting back to the practice squad after gameday. Practice squads will also be increased in size from 10 players to 12 beginning this season.

Active gameday rosters will also grow from 46 to 48, provided one of those extra players activated is an offensive lineman

ALSO: You can only elevate the same player from the Practice Squad to the active roster 2 times per season

AND: You can have 4 players on the Practice Squad with ANY number of seasons

There are 3 obvious implications of this IMHO

1. A team can keep a QB with a ton of NFL experience on the Practice Squad as an emergency QB and put them on the active roster 2 times without any problems
  2. Teams will probably carry 3 or 4 offensive linemen and make each active for 2 games over the course of the season to backfill for injuries
  3. 4 decent vets at any position can be stashed on the practice squad - they'd have to be waived and brought back after the final cut, tho. Assuming 1 will be a QB, that's 3 other veterans 

33 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

CB's are among the smallest players on a team. They take a pounding. I'd think 1 of them and an Olineman would make it on Sundays

Since each player can only be activated twice, I assume it'll be based on injuries. Plus it'd be good at the end of the season if we wanted to give any players rest.