Football game analytics I was thinking about

cconocool

Ideally, every team wants to blow out every other team they play. But since that isn't going to happen, I was thinking in terms of home and road games. For home games, you want to run up the score and get the highest lead you possibly can; whereas for road games, it is usually a lot harder to blow other teams out so you want to keep the score as even as possible, keeping the winning for the last quarter. It would interesting to look at that concept in terms of game analytics in terms of what terms have winning records versus losing records at the end of the season. I might be way off as well.

If you are curious, you can probably write something up in Python and source the info from Pro Football Reference. Build a regression that measures the relationship between W/L and the distance between scores throughout the game (Q1, 2, 3, 4) in respect to Home/AWAY. Though you would have to find away to account for the fact that teams do have home field advantages (and differing advantages at that).

This also might help: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/win_prob.htm

5 hours ago, cconocool said:

Ideally, every team wants to blow out every other team they play. 

I remember the 07 Pats getting genuinely criticised for 'running up the score' :D

So what would you be looking to analyse? How often teams blow out another team home vs away?