Training Camp News: QB Competition ONLY

JAF-N72EX

As the title says, QB Competition ONLY! Use this thread here for any other news/reports/info regarding training camp: 

This is obviously going to be a very hot topic so I thought it'd be a good idea to separate this from other team news and position battles so everything doesn't get so scattered and becomes a mess that is too hard to follow. 

Jahns wrote an article on The Athletic about the QB competition and here are some notable quotes from day 1 camp. (As per forum rules, I can't post the full article)

https://theathletic.com/2003118/2020/08/17/inside-bears-camp-day-1-deon-bush-makes-plays-cole-kmet-gets-razzed-and-more/

The QB competition

Neither Mitch Trubisky nor Nick Foles distinguished himself in team drills. There were some misses and some drops — including an interception of Trubisky (see more below). It was a throw that Trubisky definitely would like back.

“We try not to rush or get too crazy over any dropped passes right now, whether it’s on the offensive side or the defensive side with the dropped interception,” Nagy said. “We really look right now for the decision-making. We’re trying to test some things in regards to where those guys are at. I thought the decisions were good.”

The snaps were split between Trubisky and Foles but, as Nagy promised, Trubisky did get the first opportunity in each practice period.

For now, Nagy doesn’t have a timeline in mind where one quarterback gets the majority of the reps in practice.

“We are going to stretch that out as far as we possibly can,” Nagy said. “There’s limited reps, limited time, so we’re going to maximize those numbers that we have and literally take it as far as we need to go. Both of these guys have experience in this game and I think that’s only what’s fair.”

Here is another article from Jahns 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-qb-competition-nick-foles-gets-slight-edge-over-mitch-trubisky-day-1

Day 1 winner

There wasn’t much separation between the quarterbacks in Monday’s practice, but I’ll give a slight edge to Foles because he finished strong and avoided the risky throw that Trubisky got away with. There’s a lot more that needs to be decided though. If the opener against the Lions was tomorrow, I’d expect Trubisky to get the start.

Final word

As it pertains to a timeline to decide the starter, Nagy had this to say:

“We are going to stretch that out as far as we possibly can. There's limited reps, limited time, so we're going to maximize those numbers that we have and literally take it as far as we need to go. Both of these guys have experience in this game and I think that's only what's fair.”

Ideally any team would like to name a starter going into the first week of game prep, but if this thing is neck-and-neck, it’s theoretically possible that the competition spills into Week 1.

Worth noting, Jahns brings up a pass from Mitch that should have been intercepted by Bush but also recognized that this was more of a good defensive play than a bad throw by Mitch. 

I actually thought that Bush did a nice job of goading the throw. It was a fast break on the ball, too. It was into some coverage but a completion looked possible until Bush broke on it. 

• Like 1