2021 & Beyond

RedGold

If you know me,  you'll know how much time I spend on the Draft and Salary Cap analysis (we all have nerd hobbies don't we?).   Was bored the past week and decided to dig into what a 2021 Depth Chart would look like.   

2020 Cap Space: $6,753,242.00

2021 Cap Space:  -$17,794,129.00  (Based off 176m Cap)

QB:  Patrick Mahomes / Chad Henne 

* UFA: Matt Moore

* RFA/ERFA:     None

Practice Squad:   Jordan Ta'amu

RB:  Clyde Edwards-Helaire / Darwin Thompson / Damien Williams

*UFA:  Anthony Sherman

*RFA/ERFA:   Darrel Williams (RFA)

*Practice Squad:  DeAndre Washington

WR:  Tyreek Hill / Mecole Hardman

*UFA:  Sammy Watkins / Demarcus Robinson

RFA/ERFA:  Byron Pringle (RFA) , Marcus Kemp (RFA)

Practice Squad: Jody Fortson , Gehrig Dieter , Maurice Ffrench , Kalija Lipscomb

TE:  Travis Kelce 

*UFA: Ricky Seals-Jones

RFA/ERFA:  Deon Yelder (RFA) , Nick Keizer (ERFA)

Practice Squad:   None

OL:  Eric Fisher / Martinas Rankin / Nick Allegretti / Yasir Durant / Laurent Duvernay Tardiff / Lucas Niang

UFA:  Mike Remmers / Austin Reiter / Daniel Kilgore / Kelechi Osemele

RFA/ERFA:   Andrew Wylie (RFA)

Practice Squad:  Darryl Williams , Danny Isidora

DE:  Frank Clark / Mike Danna

UFA:  Tanoh Kpassagnon / Alex Okafor / Taco Charlton

RFA/ERFA:  Demone Harris (RFA)

Practice Squad:   Tim Ward

DT:  Chris Jones / Derrick Nnadi / Khalen Saunders / Tershawn Wharton

UFA:  Mike Pennel

RFA/ERFA:   None

Practice Squad:  Braxton Hoyett

LB:  Anthony Hitchens / Willie Gay / Dorian O'Daniel

UFA:  Damien Wilson

RFA/ERFA:   Ben Niemann (RFA)

Practice Squad:   Darius Harris / Omari Cobb

CB:  Rashad Fenton / Bopete Keyes / L'Jarius Sneed

UFA:  Bashaud Breeland , Antonio Hamilton

RFA/ERFA:   Charvarius Ward(RFA) ,  Alex Brown (ERFA)

Practice Squad:  Lavert Hill , Chris Lammons

S:   Tyrann Mathieu / Juan Thornhill / Armani Watts

UFA: Daniel Sorensen / Tedric Thompson

RFA:ERFA:   None

Practice Squad:  Rodney Clemons

ST:  Harrison Butker / Tommy Townsend / James Winchester

UFA: None

RFA/ERFA:   None

Practice Squad:  None

QB:   Nil Priority.     

* Henne is on a cheap deal,      Jordan Ta'amu elevated from PS.      Plug in an UDFA and we're ready to roll next year.

RB:  Low Priority.

* We should be stocked again next year.    Darrel will be worth his RFA tag,    CEH and Darwin should be back.     DeAndre reaching the PS,  likely not much demand for him so I would expect him back as well.       Damien coming back from his opt out,    but with the cap decreasing I could very easily see him getting released.   I could see a late round pick being added to this group.

WR:  High Priority.

* This points a better picture on why so many rumors around Ruggs were circulating.   Really only Hill and Hardman sit on the Depth Chart.    Very possible one of Demarcus and Sammy come back,  but with the uncertainty of the cap it's anyone's guess.     Aside from that we have Pringle and Kemp on RFA deals,   they are both capable 4/5 receivers... but not 100% sure that's worth a RFA price tag.     Aside from the top 2,  I see a bunch of ST and roll players.   Very possible we see an early pick used to addressed this position.

TE: Low Priority. 

* I've never been a fan of drafting to replace 3-4 years down the road at the TE position.   They're typically savvy vets available on the FA market,   just pick one up the year you draft.     Aside from Kelce,  we do not have much here though.    Would be very nice if Keizer shows as a capable back up.    I do not see Yelder being worth the RFA tag price.    Very possible you see a lot of RFA's not get tagged in a down year for the cap.    I could see a late round pick being added to this group, but don't see a need for anything higher.

OL:  Medium Priority.

* I thought I would go into this group and hate it,   honestly it's still a pretty solid group.   2022 will be a different story though.     Fisher/Schwartz/Niang are a very solid 3 man OT group.   Wylie/Rankin/Allegretti/LDT have all been in the system at OG.   Center will be the biggest issue,  with the signing of Kilgore this year,  I don't think the Coaching staff see's Allegretti as a solution there.       With the current cap,  I also see Fisher/Schwartz as the 2 easiest contracts to manipulate (aside from Mahomes) so this could change.   I could see 2nd day and late round pick being used on this group.

DE:  High Priority.

* The need for this could drop very quickly depending on the status of our 3 FA's and RFA.    Demone and Danna are exactly what you want from your reserve spots,   along with Wharton(depending on where he lines up).    If Taco/Kpassaganon are brought back, this becomes a low priority, but right now I'm not see a consistent guy on the other side of Frank.

DT:  Nil Priority.

*I'm not sure how, but this has turned into one our deepest positions for 2020 and 2021.   Jones and Nnadi are locked in,   Saunders still has room to grow.    Pennel also never seems to be in high demand.    I'm anxious to see if Wharton adds more to this group, or the DE position.   Possibly a late round add to this group, but really only seeing UDFA/low priority FA's needed.

LB:  Medium Priority.   

*  From a snap standpoint,  I don't mind this group.  Neimann and Gay can take over for what we'd lose in Wilson.... but we have nothing to replace their snaps.   D'OD , Harris, and Cobb all have decent profiles,  but are really nothing more than 5th/6th LB's at this point.   Would like to see and 2nd/early 3rd day pick used to address the 4th LB spot.   

CB:  Low Priority.

* I'm probably going to get bashed for this,   but I actually like this group.   Ward will be worth his RFA tag.   Fenton is still growing into the slot roll.   Aside from that we have Sneed, Keyes, and Alex Brown who I think are roster worthy.    I would check out the veteran CB market to round out the group.    Early day 3 pick to groom is likely, but not seeing a need for higher unless the value is there.

S.  Low Priority.

* The top 2 will be back,   Highly likely Mathieu see's an extension.    Will be Sorensen be sought after?  I don't see it,  I would guess he'll be brought back.     Watts and Clemons will have a battle at the bottom.   Possibly a late round addition,  but I like this group if Sorensen is brought back.

ST:  Nil Priority.

* Honestly don't put any thought into this group,    I'm going to assume Townsend is our punter for the next 3 years at least.    Butker is awesome,   I never notice Winchester(although his contract is up after next year).  I don't see any reason we'd lose a LS.    This group is solid for the next 3 years.

IMO Draft Needs:    WR, DE, OL, LB, OL....   CB/TE

I'm better with the WR and more urgent with the TE. Kelce is at the top of his game, but he gets hit a lot and he's 30 now. We may need a replacement in 3 years, but we need an understudy immediately, unless Keizer has more upside than I realize. Seals-Jones and Yelder are basically one dimensional. If Keizer is the understudy, things make a lot more sense. 

With the WR, Robinson looks long term and Pringle is a solid WR4. With the ones we have on PS, we should have at least five useful parts going into the draft. Also, bear in mind that 2021 will be Hardman's 3rd season, a typical WR breakout year. 

DE is interesting, because the Team places such a priority on the position. TK has stepped up. he has always been a decent run guy, but the pass rush is improved. Taco is on a prove it contract, so he could price himself out of our budget. A lot depends on Danna. If he shows the sort of speed and explosion that's hinted, he could quickly become the best player on the DL.

OL may not need a play immediately sort of player next year, but some big decisions are on the horizon, especially at OT. Even if we resign Fisher or Schwartz for 2022, they will be 31 or 33 years old. That's assuming Lucas Niang is ready to fill the other slot. Having Niang and Durant develop will simplify a lot of things. We currently have four players with experience playing C, so the IOL is less of a worry.

We have some creeping age issues developing--TE, OL, S. 

J