With the Signing of Vince Williams is ILB off the Draft Board?

Steeler Hitman

With the Signing of Vince Williams is ILB off the Draft Board?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. With the Signing of Vince Williams is ILB off the Draft Board?

• Yes, it is completely off the board
    • No, it is not completely off the board
    • Depends on who is there and where

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

None of this is true. Werner was the coverage backer for OSU. He shut down Freiermuth. He tested really well at his pro day too, sub 7 3 cone. Werner isn't as athletic as Browning, few are, but he's very athletic.  The draftniks that are saying this about him clearly haven't watched him. 

I am not knocking your analysis of Werner or anyone else's of players they scout or like. I have always said that player evaluations are subjective. It is often like picking who you want date and/or invest in to marry. One man's trash is certainly another's treasure. This is an art and not exact science. For every Peyton Manning there are ten to twelve others "can't miss prospects" who flop or never reach their potential.

I am far from knocking Werner or his ability. I think he is a tough throwback type. However,  I just don't see him in the same light as you do as far as the role that I would want an ILB to fill for the Steelers. We need guys who can keep up with Lamar and the many other mobile QB's, TE's, and RB's. The WFT exploited this against the Steelers after Spillane went down. The Steelers ILB group could use another superior athlete who can move and cover.  I think Barnes skills are better suited for what the Steelers need than Werner's. That doesn't mean Barnes is a better prospect. I like Barnes size/speed/instincts/fire combination. Werner is the higher rated prospect, but not necessarily the best for that mobile/fast twitch type of ILB role. Barnes is not my first choice for that role either.

Anyone who plays in the NFL is a superior athlete, but that is relative to the other talents and skills as well. Let's always remember that an NFL player is superior to the average Joe, but I want someone who can spy Lamar Jackson or even keep up with Ryan Finley if he decides to run. However, what I am saying is that in my eyes, opinion, and/or estimation, he (Pete) does not translate to being a fast, quick, great, good or even solid cover, fast twitch ILB.  My opinion and my $6.00 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. More the $6.00 than anything.

Being fast and or having great speed does not always translate to good coverage skills or a good to great prospect at any position. Bush and Shazier are/were super freak athletes with speed and yet struggled in coverage at times despite being greased lighting speed wise. Edmunds is also ridiculously crazy fast. He is probably straight line faster than Troy was who ran a sub 4.4, but yet Edmunds doesn't look as fast or quick on the field the majority of the time. We need some players who can prevent the catch rather than get beat out of the break and then have the speed to run the receiver down to make the tackle another 25 yards downfield. 

I think former Steelers CB Deshea Townsend could have been all world if he were 3 inches taller,  10 pounds heavier, and a step and a half faster. He was extremely technically sound and instinctual. Give him Ike Taylor's body and speed (not his hands though), and heaven only knows how good that guy could have been with his brains, technique and natural abilities as a CB. Compared to Ike he was not in the same class athletically. As a football player, he more than held his own in my opinion. 

On 4/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, cjfollett said:

The Steelers officially signed ILB Vince Williams today, making the ILB position a bit deeper than it was at the beginning of the off season. With the signing of VW does it take ILB off the board completely or at least early? There are some good ILB prospects that would be very good compliments to build around next to Bush.

Not at all. They brought Vince back at a much reduced rate, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot on the final 53. If a top prospect is there in the draft, or if some other team cuts an aging vet, the Steelers will not hesitate to upgrade their team.

I think Vince is a solid veteran who knows the system and will be here. Even if they drafted a young stud, he will take at least a year to develop and get comfortable. VW had some very good stats prior to Bush going down. I can't see them bringing in another veteran like they did when they traded for Williamson and he is higher on the depth chart than Vince. They have three solid guys to rotate around (Bush, Spillane and VW) even if they sign or draft someone, I think it is Ulysses Grant who would be the odd man out not VW.

My thoughts: Depending on who is there in what round, who may fall in the Steelers laps, and/or if everyone else is gone, who is left.  Edge is definitely more of a priority than ILB for 2021. You can take the approach of preparing for a potential empty shelf in 2022 and questions for 2021 with Bush's return/health. Spillane and Williams are more 1B types and are not the potential 1A that some of the other players could be (Parsons, JOK, Collins, Davis, and I will even add Barnes). 

I tend to agree that Edge/OLB is a priority, but I think Center and OT are of equal need. ILB is just not that high on the list for me.

I agree completely, but I think there is a need for some speed/quickness/range/coverage at the position. If for nothing else, added depth and flexibility. You don't put emphasis there above other needs, but I still think if the right player falls or is there in the proper round/value, I would pull the trigger rather than pass on better talent for a reach need. I.E. I am still in favor of BPA.

If a player like JOK or Parson's fell, I would draft them as the BPA and while it may shake up some things, I wouldn't feel terribly bad because they would still improve this football team.  Collins is still intriguing because he could fill in at ILB and depth at Edge with his size. I don't know if Collins is the pick at 24 now or even if it came down to Collins or say one of the other more traditional  Edge players, that I would take Collins. 

I tend to be more realistic. I do not expect players of that caliber to make it past 15, much less 24. I also think the Steelers have too many needs to trade up this year. So, my guess is they stay put or trade down.

Agreed. I am in favor of trading down and adding a pick or two based on the variety of needs. I think that is what they should have tried to do when they drafted Edmunds. If they can add another top 100 player and address more needs with the depth at OT, C, and ILB. You never know about falling players especially when other players like some of the QB's are being over-drafted/value. It causes other good players to fall a la David DeCastro. 

I don't have a good feel for what they'll do, but I am almost positive it won't be ILB. I think it will be C, OT, OLB, or RB, depending on who is available.

I think if JOK or Parson's fell the Steelers would sprint to the podium. I would be extremely surprised if one of those players were there and I am not sure Zaven Collins will be either. That said, I think it is 1. Najee Harris or Travis Entienne 2. OT falls like Cosmi or Mayfield 3. Edge like Phillips or Rousseau I think they try to get a center between round two and three unless they drop to the end of the first round, they may take Dickerson, Creed, or my favorite Meinerz. There are still three to five other guys who I still think can/will be solid pros at center if drafted to the right team. 

• Like 1