Recounting the 2016 NFL Draft with Mike Keith and Amie Wells (Podcast)

KingTitan

On 4/19/2021 at 6:42 PM, KingTitan said:

This was a very cool listen and they made some great points.

Behind the scenes talk about the Rams/Titans Trade.
Larmey Tunsil
What If's with Kevin Dodd. 

This was a great pod! Couldn't help but laugh at Tunsil just walking out of the facility as soon as he saw the trade went down. He obviously wasn't the guy for us. Mike was right too about how sometimes it's hard to tell if a guy really loves football or not. They're all going to say the right things in the draft process leading up to it. I think it has to come down to a gut feeling and an instinct by a GM to read these guys correctly.

Also, I don't think it's revisionist history on Kevin Dodd at least as much on this board. I remember a lot of us weren't all that thrilled with the Dodd pick. I remember I desperately wanted Myles Jack at the time. I was happy that we addressed the position itself, but I was a bit skeptical about Dodd due to him only having one year of college production, he was coming into the league as an older rookie, and he was surrounded by other top talent on that Clemson defense that kind of inflated his stats. Once again though as a fan, there was no way of really knowing the mental makeup of the guy himself and his true love for the game or lack thereof which I think is what derailed his career more than any kind of lack of talent on the field. 

Man, looking back there was a ton of good talent in the 2nd round of that draft. Derrick was obviously one of the biggest homerun picks of the group, but Chris Jones was there, Michael Thomas, Deion Jones, Xavien Howard, Jaylon Smith, Hunter Henry. Really talented group there. Thank God we hit on Derrick lol.