Defensive End

onejayhawk

Going into the post -draft portion of the offseason, this was the biggest question mark for me. The OL was fully reconfigured. We retained Robinson and Pringle, so there is decent depth at WR. We re-signed Blake Bell and drafted Noah Gray, so Travis Kelce can get a few breathers. CB was not a pressing issue, but we added another former 1st round pick to the mix. Depth at safety is a concern, but we brought Sorensen back, so there is time. The first pick went to a LB, so maybe it's breathed some life into the corpse. DT added a stud run defender. 

The one area that lost significantly, but was not replenished is DE. While Tanoh Kpassagnon has few fans in this forum, he routinely played 66.7% of the scrimmage snaps. Alex Okafor was one of the principle rotation pieces, 26.3%. So 93%, roughly half, of our DE snaps will not be back.

Of the returning players, Frank Clark had the lion's share, usually 70.3% of the snaps.  Mike Danna had most of the rest, 31.1% and he should be in line for a more. Taco was very effective, but in limited usage, around 25% when he was healthy. The only addition of note is 4th round pick Joshua Kaindoh. Rounding the roster are names like Austin Edwards, Tim Ward, Malik Herring, Demone Harris, who together do not total 10% of the snaps, who collectively had less than 100 snaps last year. Figuring Taco for a full season at 25%, Clark at 70% again, and Danna up to 50%, that leaves 55% of the DE snaps unaccounted. Who will take up the slack? 

Obviously, the team hopes Kaindoh is a factor, but he's raw even for a rookie. Expecting even 20% of the snaps is asking a lot. Yet, the team was not active in the FA market. Where do they think the snaps will go? Is someone sliding over from DT, which is very deep? Will the team make a move to pick up a serviceable veteran? What is Spagnuolo thinking?

J

I think Chris Jones is going to factor in a ton at this spot.    

Jones and Reed are studs,    Nnadi is the most consistent DL we have.     Those 3 are going to see a ton of snaps.   I would consider those 3 and Frank Clark as the starters at DL,  regardless of where they line up. 

Danna/Taco/Wharton give us some versatility at depth.     I think I'm actually happy with our DL.    

Will be some nice competition for the 2-3 other spots.   Kaindoh is pretty much a guarantee to make it.     Saunders/Ward should probably be the other 2 favorites.       

I follow your reasoning, but I think Turk Wharton is more likely than Chris Jones. He has the build of a power DE and the hand skills to match. Also, the learning curve matters less, since Wharton will be learning a position regardless. Leave Jones at the 3-tech, where the distance to the QB is shorter, and let Turk set the edge against the run.

One thing I have seen written about Reed that bears repeating about Wharton, his pass rush is more from persistence than from moves. If Wharton develops a few good moves, he may get nasty. 

J

FBO, in a quick takes article on the division, had this to say

Biggest Need: Edge Rusher

Kansas City spent their priority draft picks on offensive line. They traded for Ravens offensive tackle Orlando Brown with their first-round pick, then snagged Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey with a second-round pick. Pass-rusher was not addressed by the Chiefs until the fourth-round with the selection of Florida State's Joshua Kaindoh. Kaindoh can add quality depth, but it's highly unlikely he becomes the No. 2 opposite Frank Clark that this defense needs.

The Chiefs' second and third pass-rushers right now are Taco Charlton and Mike Danna. Though Charlton did post 10 pressures on just 51 pass-rush snaps last season, he was never close to that productive in any of his first three seasons through larger samples. Danna, on the other hand, is a strong run defender and quality rotational player, but his 7.8% pressure rate (according to Sports Info Solutions) is uninspiring.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2021/lack-edge-rushers-could-bite-chiefs-and-chargers 

Note that Taco was very effective in limited usage. Danna was a very raw rookie, who has had an offseason to work on moves. There is still a player missing from this discussion, but don't know who. 

J