Bears sign Mike Pennel

beardown3231

On 6/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, G08 said:

From 2018:

“(Goldman) is an unsung hero,” Hicks said. “He’s eating up blocks in the middle for both ends, for both linebackers. Eddie has been doing that for a number of years. I know that he’s battled some adversity as far as playing throughout the season, but he’s strong — man, he’s strong — and he has a will to be there for us. I know he doesn’t get a lot of attention, but he’s a great player.”

This is how I see Goldman as well.  His principle role if to keep blockers off Smith and DT and clog gaps.  But he can do far more than just that including pursuit when necessary, collapsing the pocket, and getting his own share of QB pressures, hits and sacks.

Goldman isn't the guy we can do without.  It's the 2020 version of Robert Quinn we don't need.

Provided he makes the cut Pennel can provide both Goldman and Hicks with some breathers and allow Nichols to return to DE with Mario Edwards coming in as a 3 tech DT on passing downs.  Our DL run in the 315lb to 345lb range so having enough quality depth to rotate them in and out to keep them fresh is pivotal to their success as a unit.  We aren't wasting money on Goldman and last years rushing stats confirm it.

• Like 1