The Run and What It Means to Bears

soulman

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Well analysts say you can pass and run play action without an effective run game.  

CW is you need an effective run game to set up pass, but data seems to say otherwise.  

It makes sense, most defenders read run to pass in their keys. 

I just know in order to run you can’t just slam into heavy boxes.  You just don’t have enough hats to block all the guys.  

If you drop 7 or 8 into coverage it isn’t same thing.  A receiver can still make a contested catch.  

It is much easier to do than juking an unblocked LB or safety coming up hard without a lot of space.

But my point is there are times when CW dictates running the football such as when you're in goal line situations, or you're backed up inside your own 5 yard line, or you need less than 2 yards for a 1st down, or you're simply looking to burn time off the clock. 

These situations happen nearly every game often multiple times during the game.

This isn't about what an analyst says conceivably could be done but rather what should be done based on down and distance, managing risk, or the simple strategy of controlling the ball and the clock to steal time from an opponent needing possession in order to score.

I'm not promoting that we feature the run over passing but rather that we have an effective run game we can use when wisdom dictates that what we should be doing either strategically or simply to create doubt via a mix of passing and running the football.

So again IMHO during the course of an average NFL game you need both.  It's tough to win with only one without the other.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, soulman said:

But my point is there are times when CW dictates running the football such as when you're in goal line situations, or you're backed up inside your own 5 yard line, or you need less than 2 yards for a 1st down, or you're simply looking to burn time off the clock. 

Yeah...that nasty old conventional wisdom. 

We've seen Nagy have his guys (with Trubisky as QB), throw it three consecutive times, starting on, like First and Goal from the six. 

Don't know what else to say about that. 

18 hours ago, soulman said:

So again IMHO during the course of an average NFL game you need both.  It's tough to win with only one without the other.

It is. And...of course it is. (Not faulting you, faulting Nagy.) 

I don't believe I've brought this up before...but if I have, my apologies.

Is there something WRONG with Matt Nagy? I mean, mentally? And this is not a joke.

A distinct inability to learn. A profound conviction that WHATEVER he dreams up will work, or is the proper course of action (simply because he dreamed it up). The continual lying during the press conferences.

I'm sorry, but if you had a co-worker that behaved like that, you'd most likely be sitting down with H.R. to try and decide what to do with the guy. 

And AGAIN, this is not a joke...

• Like 3