Special Teams blunders Saturday night

Pugger

On another forum someone posted a tweet by John Kuhn showing the linemen on that Crosby's FG that was blocked.  (I am not on Twitter so I cannot post it here.)  It showed Lancaster on the outside on the left and Lowry on the other.  Lancaster didn't move on the snap and the 49er player came thru clean and blocked it.  I'm gonna assume something similar happened on that blocked punt.  Is it normal for defensive linemen to be blocking on ST?  I never noticed this before.  I thought offensive linemen would be out there, especially on FGs.  

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

On another forum someone posted a tweet by John Kuhn showing the linemen on that Crosby's FG that was blocked.  (I am not on Twitter so I cannot post it here.)  It showed Lancaster on the outside on the left and Lowry on the other.  Lancaster didn't move on the snap and the 49er player came thru clean and blocked it.  I'm gonna assume something similar happened on that blocked punt.  Is it normal for defensive linemen to be blocking on ST?  I never noticed this before.  I thought offensive linemen would be out there, especially on FGs.  

I posted it last night and it was discussed on the Random Packers thread.

It is not that unusual to have Defensive Linemen line up as blockers on FG's. Lancaster failed at the most fundamental principle of protection for a FG attempt - always work first inside to out - when facing a choice of two guys lined up over you always take the inside guy. Unfortunately and inexplicably he froze and blocked neither. Which circles back to why some teams in critical situations like playoffs send their offensive linemen out there.

On the punt block, the snapper was late and got overpowered. Again there is NO EXCUSE for the failure of the deep protectors not helping. San Fran lined up for a punt return rushing only 5 guys. GB had a 8 blockers to 5 rushers advantage and failed at basic execution. The result was GB gifting the 49ers a blocked punt and TD.   

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BAM said:

It is not that unusual to have Defensive Linemen line up as blockers on FG's. Lancaster failed at the most fundamental principle of protection for a FG attempt - always work first inside to out - when facing a choice of two guys lined up over you always take the inside guy. Unfortunately and inexplicably he froze and blocked neither. Which circles back to why some teams in critical situations like playoffs send their offensive linemen out there.

On the punt block, the snapper was late and got overpowered. Again there is NO EXCUSE for the failure of the deep protectors not helping. San Fran lined up for a punt return rushing only 5 guys. GB had a 8 blockers to 5 rushers advantage and failed at basic execution. The result was GB gifting the 49ers a blocked punt and TD.   

Agree. Henry Black watched our long snapper get bull rushed & just stood there. Tragic.

AG#20 pointed out in the Random thread that other teams keep more OL active and use OL backups on FGs and punts.   If this is not the norm let's hope the disaster Saturday night will force MLF/the next ST coordinator  to use guys accustomed to blocking in these important situations.