Badly need advice seasoning/restoring cast iron.

otg

Present situation is it's a dutch oven that belonged to my dad. He passed a year ago so recovering this would be huge.

It has neglect, and I thing it might have never been set up or maintained right. Neglect was a bit of rust on bottom inside. The other idk spots are where metal, polymer, something is flaking inside the lid. And at the very least there are areas that are smooth and others that have build up (not counting the tips mid lid for distributing condensation.

Are these mystery black spots that don't fit the curves old seasoning that's coming loose? I feel like maybe he seasoned iron one single time, one layer, and thought he was done. Or is this raised metal damaged iron and the piece is in bad shape?

Should I just go to town on it so that it has the relative smoothness of a newly purchased item? Should I soak it in a 1:1 vinegar bath for the hours needed to knock everything off? Am I to remove all old seasoning then build it up from scratch?

And if I am to get mid evil on it, would using a bit of power be bad? I have spinning brush heads for my drill, in steel and brass. Read mixed reviews on doing that.

What do I need to do to restore those fully and tune it up to a fine tool?

Thank you, you gracious, intelligent, handsome, and kind gentlemen.

I have a collection of cast iron, and the only thing I have ever done is get them scolding hot and scrub them with metal on metal (iron brush, metal spatula, etc). I am not sure if any of this helps. But maybe consider putting it in the oven at 500 and then going to town with a scrubber. 

• Like 1